Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink stopped working - is this widespread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dont' know when this change went in but with 2017.38.4 be12575 the MP3 songs on my USB pick up where it last played down to the second. On the older firmware I had to manually select the source and start playing after a power down/ignition off. Also weird is when the USB picks up playing from last played, the garage door icon does not work. Once or twice when it did start working, the USB was inoperative (meaning I had to go select source and select a song to play). It is as if there are two different profiles being used and one is active at one time.

Btw this on/off homelink working/not working, I have not rebooted the MCU once. Call me lazy

Dont' know when this change went in but with 2017.38.4 be12575 the MP3 songs on my USB pick up where it last played down to the second. On the older firmware I had to manually select the source and start playing after a power down/ignition off. Also weird is when the USB picks up playing from last played, the garage door icon does not work. Once or twice when it did start working, the USB was inoperative (meaning I had to go select source and select a song to play). It is as if there are two different profiles being used and one is active at one time.

Btw this on/off homelink working/not working, I have not rebooted the MCU once. Call me lazy

Btw, Threadjack much? :rolleyes:

We should get a lot more installs of 17.40.1 over the weekend so we hope someone can give some evidence...

I have 17.40.1 on my X now and will have my S back from service tomorrow and it also has 17.40.1 on it. No issues so far with X, but as this is almost a negative testing scenario, it works until it doesn't, going to be hard to say if it works or not until I have it for a while. Only had 1 failure of HL on both cars combined up until now and that was on 17.38.b4, I did not have the issue on any prior firmware.

I have 17.40.1 on my X now and will have my S back from service tomorrow and it also has 17.40.1 on it. No issues so far with X, but as this is almost a negative testing scenario, it works until it doesn't, going to be hard to say if it works or not until I have it for a while. Only had 1 failure of HL on both cars combined up until now and that was on 17.38.b4, I did not have the issue on any prior firmware.
I know. In the beginning, we thought it hard failed after one time every time.... then we saw (at least I did) it run for a long time. I was trying to see if specific combos would break it when my whole car broke. (Still at Tysons, being worked on right now.)

So, it's another 'try it x times, good, see how it goes'. The more people that have it, the better to say it's fixed or not. I'm a little suspicious with the 'other' HL feature(s) in here that they managed to add this (whatever) to 17.40.1 also, unless this was always a new, improved HL, and we are just getting it now coincidentally and it always fixed this issue.

Just had this happen to me after upgrading to 38. Keeping the designated garage door button pressed for a few seconds seems to have fixed it. We will see if it lasts.

After keeping it pushed for a few seconds and letting go, it gave off that wifi like transmission symbol and has worked since then. Prior to that, pushing the button on the screen wouldn't show that wifi like symbol.

Reactions: cybergates
Well, overnight 17.41 has appeared on TeslaFi (good grief) so perhaps it’s in that? Weird that 17.40.1 was a subbranch (if that is what it means) and here we have a whole new weekly.

Where do you see that on TeslaFi? On ev-fw there are no reports of anything new after 2017.40.1 e29b97f, which is what I have on both of my cars.

EDIT: Never mind, found it, did not realize there was tracking there. Saw 1 car with update to 2017.41 c84dea9.

Where do you see that on TeslaFi? On ev-fw there are no reports of anything new after 2017.40.1 e29b97f, which is what I have on both of my cars.

EDIT: Never mind, found it, did not realize there was tracking there. Saw 1 car with update to 2017.41 c84dea9.
Yep, TeslaFi has summaries of all versions reported by all users (it might be optional, I need to check the settings again). We also get the emails if you like that tell us when a new version has been spotted. Great for knowing when a new one pops out!

I have had my Mod S for a couple of months now and Homelink has never worked. It simply will not program.

My conclusion was that the opener remote receiver was receiving RF interference from other electronics in the house. It only was interfering when the light circuit was acting as an active path/transmitting loop for the interference to get to the opener receiver. Tried a filter on the power supply to the garage door opener. No joy.

Finally bought a newer external receiver with better RF characteristics (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071EYS9M/) and a compatible remote to program the receiver and Tesla Homelink. Since then it has been working perfectly, 100% of the time:)

My solution is to get a smart plug and a programmable digital on/off delay relay to hook up with the door's manual trigger so that when I am approaching the gate I wake up my phone to command "okay Google open the garage door." This works every single time.

I have had my Mod S for a couple of months now and Homelink has never worked. It simply will not program.
What I had to do was follow the instructions in the manual for the door opener itself. Not relevant to yours but as an example I had to take the remote we used in another car, change the second button on it to another type of encoding, train the opener to use that, then use that to train the car.

Seriously, it may not be the car if it’s never worked. Read the Homelink section in the guide that came with the door opener or find them on the web.

This bug in this thread is where it worked perfectly but now after one or a few presses, no longer works from the other car’s HL setup until you reset the MCU.

This bug in this thread is where it worked perfectly but now after one or a few presses, no longer works from the other car’s HL setup until you reset the MCU.

So, in reporting on 40.1, I experienced the same "works a bit after reset, but appears to stop transmitting (lack of signal indication) after a while". This morning, I tried to use it to get out of the garage, and it would not transmit (no transmit signal) again. I used my phone (separate system) to open and close it and went on my way. I didn't do anything about it but when I got back, it worked normal again, and the auto-open worked and I saw the transmit signal. I had not experienced it working again after it initially stopped working, but perhaps I didn't try enough. So it may be intermittent rather than just stopping to work. Still a problem either way, but just providing another data point....

So, in reporting on 40.1, I experienced the same "works a bit after reset, but appears to stop transmitting (lack of signal indication) after a while". This morning, I tried to use it to get out of the garage, and it would not transmit (no transmit signal) again. I used my phone (separate system) to open and close it and went on my way. I didn't do anything about it but when I got back, it worked normal again, and the auto-open worked and I saw the transmit signal. I had not experienced it working again after it initially stopped working, but perhaps I didn't try enough. So it may be intermittent rather than just stopping to work. Still a problem either way, but just providing another data point....
Someone else (I can’t keep track of which thread on my phone :) ) reported that repeated presses caused it to wake up once it stopped working. Perhaps this is what happened here? Or it’s a totally separate bug with the new code for the new HL options...

Hope we get a 17.41 report soon!

When we first got our S (2015) we had homelink issues as well initially. We contacted Tesla (local service/sales) and they sent out a technician who worked with us and got it to program. Give them a call.

FWIW we’ve had intermittent issues with Homelink at our current home. No consistent problems. We are still on 2017.34 ...