Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink stopped working - is this widespread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just adding in to report that mine's been acting up for a while. I even reprogrammed it (which was an ordeal, read on if you want more detail) but it has already become intermittent again since Thursday.

Now - for those who are curious, what went wrong trying to reprogram it?

At first it would just not open automatically, and I'd have to hit the button. Then I had to start pressing it multiple times to get it to open, and then finally it stopped working.

When I tried to delete the programming to redo it, the garage door went BERSERK. it started going up and down a foot at a time or less in each direction; as if the car had been buffering the attempts to open/close and started bursting them out. I then reset the center display with the scrollwheels, then was able to delete "Home".

Next, I "Create New" and name it "Home", same as the old one, and it started opening/closing the door again, which tells me they didn't actually delete it internally (since I used the same name). My next step was to clear the memory of the garage opener itself, and reprogram all my remotes, the Tesla being last. I named it as "Home2". It's been reprogrammed now, but once already it didn't open again.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
So after mine repeatedly failed to close the door when leaving, I shut off the automatic open/close figuring that we'd just get used to doing it manually.

However, now it does something far worse. After closing the door manually and driving off, the car sometimes sends the signal again when in the street where I can't see the door, thereby opening it so that the garage is open when we're gone. This is with the homelink icon not visible and with no chime. It's completely stealth.

Tesla really needs to get their software under control.

New problem - last night I wrote about how it, after a reprogram, already failed once. Today when i got home, the door opened about a foot and stopped, as if the car sent a double signal.
We had a similar occurrence leaving, with auto-close on. It seems to be repeated sending. I finally turned off auto, and then closed it manually.

So far, on my loaner at 17.38.4, it’s working fine for auto-open on return home. I close it manually when we leave.

I reported on another tread that my gate and garage both failed (rebooted 3 times) after upgrading to 2017.40. I then noticed that .40 actually turned Energy Saver ON where I had set it to OFF before. Since turning back to OFF it has not failed. Maybe too soon to tell.

I'll give this a try. Not sure why this would matter, but worth a try anyway.

2017.40.1 Homelink failed on our Model X today.

I'll give this a try. Not sure why this would matter, but worth a try anyway.

2017.40.1 Homelink failed on our Model X today.
Worth a try. It still has not failed in my case. And as I said it failed three times right after 2017.40 was installed and Energy Saver was turned on by that update. Good luck. If it turns out to be the cause maybe something Tesla can fix.

Worth a try. It still has not failed in my case. And as I said it failed three times right after 2017.40 was installed and Energy Saver was turned on by that update. Good luck. If it turns out to be the cause maybe something Tesla can fix.

Nope, Energy Saver was off on the car when I went out to change it, so guess that is not the cause (or related).

So, I've tried to figure out the recent failed behavior of my HomeLink and am putting this out so others can also see if there is any commonality. My problem is that the first time of the day when I try to use HomeLink to exit the garage, it invariably fails to transmit, i.e. no signal indication when you press the 'button'. But what I've found is that once I exit my garage manually and go run around, when I come back, it invariably works again (signal indication), and stays working the rest of the day, without me actually doing anything to fix it. I've experience this now on two consequtive days. Would be interested to see if others experience match mine or if this is just a random occurrence.....

So, I've tried to figure out the recent failed behavior of my HomeLink and am putting this out so others can also see if there is any commonality. My problem is that the first time of the day when I try to use HomeLink to exit the garage, it invariably fails to transmit, i.e. no signal indication when you press the 'button'. But what I've found is that once I exit my garage manually and go run around, when I come back, it invariably works again (signal indication), and stays working the rest of the day, without me actually doing anything to fix it. I've experience this now on two consequtive days. Would be interested to see if others experience match mine or if this is just a random occurrence.....
I usually open the garage with the button when I enter the garage so not the same. My failure was happening when I tried to close it once I back out of the garage. However, after setting Energy Saver Off (with Always Connected On) I tested inside the garage many times with opening/closing both my 1 and 2 car garage doors and it did not fail. Because another posted said Energy Saver does not affect him I have no idea what it is.

I usually open the garage with the button when I enter the garage so not the same. My failure was happening when I tried to close it once I back out of the garage. However, after setting Energy Saver Off (with Always Connected On) I tested inside the garage many times with opening/closing both my 1 and 2 car garage doors and it did not fail. Because another posted said Energy Saver does not affect him I have no idea what it is.
So, your first use of the day is to try and close your door, and it doesn't work. That is essentially the same for me. My point was that after driving around for a while and then trying it again, it seems to work again and stays working for the rest of the day. But the next morning, it happens again. Perhaps there is something that happens during sleep that prevents the HomeLink from working right away upon wakeup.....

So, your first use of the day is to try and close your door, and it doesn't work. That is essentially the same for me. My point was that after driving around for a while and then trying it again, it seems to work again and stays working for the rest of the day. But the next morning, it happens again. Perhaps there is something that happens during sleep that prevents the HomeLink from working right away upon wakeup.....
Well to be clear. That was the problem I was having. I no longer have that problem per my post. It has not failed since I made the change to my settings per my post.

Hmm, I have always left Energy Saver On to reduce vampire drain, but I guess I'll have to try what you did (turning it off) and see if it makes a difference on mine... It's possible that some new Energy Saver option is turning HomeLink completely off and it now takes longer to wake up and appears to not work initially.