TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

HomeLink stopped working - is this widespread?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Vagus, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Vagus

Vagus Member

Yesterday (Wednesday 10/4/17) a colleague at work told me that when she left home that afternoon in her Model X her HomeLink had stopped working and had to be re-programmed.

Low and behold, when I got home last night in my own Model X, mine had stopped working too. It still comes up with the name of the garage door, it just doesn't do anything when I press it.

Is this a widespread problem or a weird coincidence?

2. pakman00

pakman00 Member

Vagus, we just got our model X back from the SC this Monday and have been having intermittent problems all week. It's failed to open the door while the car is inside. Sometimes returning, it will go into the opening door mode on the screen, but then nothing happens. I have reprogrammed it multiple times and it keeps failing. I've left a note with the SC as we will have to bring the car back anyways in a week or so to get a rear seat fixed. They did say they are ordering a homelink transmitter just in case in case they can't fix it and it really is a hardware problem.

I'm wondering if this is software related as well... I did notice the car got updated to f87c64d5 software while it was in the ship. Prior to this, homelink on the model X was 100% reliable.

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

17.38 (don't use the hashcode, we then have to look up the real numbers! :D ) works fine for me with Homelink. One thing you might try is resetting your door opener totally. Sometimes they get 'full' and continual reprogramming with 'new' remotes (the car) just clogs things up.

4. dprisoner

dprisoner Member

I've been having an intermittent issue where it'll take several presses of the homelink button to get teh garage to do its thing. This also affect the homelink button on the app.

5. Cowbell

Cowbell Member

I’ve been having intermittent operation since 2017.34 in a 2017 Model S. I believe there is a software issue causing this.

• Like x 2
  6. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Same. I hear the "ding" when I get home but the door doesn't open. I have to tap it again to get it to open. Closes just fine though.

7. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Check for interference from led lights in your garage. This was my issue. The FEIT brand LED lights where throwing a lot of RF interference. Changed to Phillips and I don't have issues anymore.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  8. boaterva

Excellent point... will work inside because you’re a lot closer.

If it fails in general, clearing everything is a good idea, though.

9. GWord

GWord Member

Mine has been wonky ever since 17.36. My major symptom is that the auto open function stops working despite the box staying checked. This is usually accompanied by the nav voice coming back on (I keep it muted 100% of the time).

• Like x 1
  10. nanimac

nanimac Aloha!

mine didn't work last night and this morning. I had just installed the new fw update the night before. Maybe a bug from that?

11. wang5150

wang5150 Member

Mine's working just fine... on Firmware version 2017.34 2448cfc

12. silverwolfe08

silverwolfe08 Member

Mine stopped working a month after delivery. The button would appear, but it didn't seem to register my pushing it. I reset the center computer and that solved the issue. No problems since. Might try that.

13. Spin Echo

Spin Echo Member

So I have a two-week old MX. HomeLink was pretty easy to program and worked without a hitch. I've also done this for our other Tesla in the past without problems. This time, I decided to check the option to automatically transmit the HomeLink signal when nearing my garage door and community gate. This also worked great. The problem is now whenever I leave the MX parked, locked and idle for a few hours, HomeLink fails to work on the subsequent attempt. Naturally, the next step is to manually press the HomeLink buttons to open my garage and/or gate, BUT when doing so, the little icon to the right showing that a signal is being transmitted fails to appear no matter how many times I press. Of course, the garage and gate also fail to open. The only solution is a double scroll bar reboot of the system.

Is this a software glitch that others have also encountered? If so, I guess I'll have to patiently wait for an update. Would love to know if others have had a similar experience. Thanks in advance for any replies or potential solutions!

• Informative x 1
  14. Spin Echo

Spin Echo Member

So glad I found this thread because I just posted about the same problem a minute ago. Could it be a firmware upgrade issue? I updated to 2017.38f87c64d5. Now only a reboot results in a functional HomeLink button. Leaving the car idle for a few hours again results in non-functional HomeLink buttons. No transmit icon appears when the button is pressed, and another reboot is then required. Kind of getting weary of repeating the cycle every day or every several hours, so I've gone back to using my 20th century garage door opener for now.

15. boaterva

#15 boaterva, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Seems to work for me on 17.36 and 17.38. (Edit: nope, my bad, see below.) What firmware are you on? I would recommend reprogramming it, but it makes no sense that it works once and and not again, meaning it's a car-side problem. Also, being in the garage, it should work better than being outside, which rules out the usual possibility of LED lights interfering, etc.

16. eternal

eternal Member

Twice in the past 2 weeks I’ve had to reprogram because of this issue. Hopefully a fix comes soon

• Like x 1
  17. pakman00

pakman00 Member

Have folks escalated to Tesla? Given the posts here, doesn't seem to be a one off thing...

18. Spin Echo

Spin Echo Member

Thanks, Boaterva.

I am on 2017.38f87c64d5. The software clearly fails, less likely a hardware problem because a reboot clears up the issue temporarily. Luckily there is another much longer thread on this issue that I found late last night. Looks like HomeLink problems aren't unique to my MX, though people's issues seem to vary a bit.

19. douglux

douglux Member

Im having literally the exact same issue. My MX is 1 week old. It programmed no problem and worked for a few days. Then a day or 3 ago it stopped working.

I reprogrammed it (which works every time and shows the garages will open and respond to the command) but after that it stops working and doesn't show that its transmitting (the green sideways bars that show when the code is being sent).

I deleted the garages and reprogrammed them last night, same thing. Worked fine while programming and then this AM, nothing (and manually pressing the homelink button does not show the transit signal)

whats even more nuts is that when I deleted the garages to completely empty out the system, it actually opened the garage as I was deleting it which shows that it had the codes and could work.

I think its just not transmitting.

im on 2017.38 f87c64d5 as well

really need a solution here.

im gonna try NOT telling it to auto open and close when I get home.

20. idealsol

idealsol Member

Homelink has gotten much less reliable for us, now on 17.34

Seems like last few months it got worse

I even had the SC look at it and they adjusted the “triiger point” but I’m not sure if it’s even less reliable than before the adjustment

One thing that seems to bring out the worst in homelink for us is when a different keyfob is used
    If I am the only driver for a stretch homelink seems much more reliable, but if my wife uses her keyfob, that switch seems to degrade reliability