Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink stopped working - is this widespread?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my X 90D back from 12,000 checkup Monday; and it wanted to update software which I did the next day. When I got in to drive this morning, I pressed the normal garage open icons while sitting there in the closed garage and nothing happens. When you touch the screen, you get the block darken, but the signal icon never shows. Tried it 3-4 x no change. Did 2 thumb reboot; and worked normally (once). Then no action on a 2nd, 3rd test. Reboot, and same cycle. Anyone else notice anything? I did a bug report audio message. Who knows where that goes. Homelink has been fine until now.

On the ‘not useful if the door is already open’, you can set it to beep when it’s going to automatically open the door. You then have the popup that gives you the option to cancel it.

I find it works perfectly for arriving home except for the current works once or twice scenario. As said, Tesla is producing a fix. When it gets to us, who knows.

Question: Is the ‘auto open on leaving’ from inside a closed garage supposed to work? How does it know you are leaving? Car in reverse?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
On the ‘not useful if the door is already open’, you can set it to beep when it’s going to automatically open the door. You then have the popup that gives you the option to cancel it.

I find it works perfectly for arriving home except for the current works once or twice scenario. As said, Tesla is producing a fix. When it gets to us, who knows.

Question: Is the ‘auto open on leaving’ from inside a closed garage supposed to work? How does it know you are leaving? Car in reverse?
Looked at this a little closer on the loaner, my bad, it's open on arrival, and close on leaving only. Guess they don't want to do any movement when the car is inside or near the door, makes sense!

...and my HomeLInk has magically started working. I had not reset the MCU or anything. Strangely enough now I hear a chime when I approach the garage. This is a first and new!!!
That's as designed, if you have that option checked. D

Mine on 17.36 and 17.38 did that, the only part that didn't work was the doing it over and over part....

You sure the car didn't reboot for a firmware install or something to reset things? It usually doesn't fix itself, but we've seen weirder!

That's as designed, if you have that option checked. D

Mine on 17.36 and 17.38 did that, the only part that didn't work was the doing it over and over part....

You sure the car didn't reboot for a firmware install or something to reset things? It usually doesn't fix itself, but we've seen weirder!

My chime never worked but the garage opened on my previous firmwares without a hitch when I approached the driveway. On the new firmware it suddenly stopped working for days and now it works without a reboot.....including the chime

My chime never worked but the garage opened on my previous firmwares without a hitch when I approached the driveway. On the new firmware it suddenly stopped working for days and now it works without a reboot.....including the chime
Hm, that's a new bug, obviously. All I ever noticed was the failure to transmit (the wi-fi-ish icon and the actual signal). The car actually popped up the notification and chime and option to skip opening if wanted, but then just couldn't do it.

I feel like there are two problems with homelink that I am experiencing -

1) Pressing the virtual button does not appear to activate the radio. Specifically, it doesn't show the little "wifi" signal on the right side of the button. Or it is severely delayed. I've experienced this 2 times and had to reboot the center console.

2) The virtual button does show the "wifi" signal and the door doesn't open. Reboot does not fix. I typically have to move closer, back up, etc.

I believe I have resolved #2 by adding a new receiver to my old opener. But hard to tell for sure. Reprogramming it appeared to fix problem #2 in the past as well.

I feel like there are two problems with homelink that I am experiencing -

1) Pressing the virtual button does not appear to activate the radio. Specifically, it doesn't show the little "wifi" signal on the right side of the button. Or it is severely delayed. I've experienced this 2 times and had to reboot the center console.

2) The virtual button does show the "wifi" signal and the door doesn't open. Reboot does not fix. I typically have to move closer, back up, etc.

I believe I have resolved #2 by adding a new receiver to my old opener. But hard to tell for sure. Reprogramming it appeared to fix problem #2 in the past as well.
Hm... #2 is hopefully (for us) localized to you. :) Everyone else seems to have the 'no wifi icon when it doesn't send'. If you send the signal and it doesn't work, it's usually a problem with your door opener's receiving. Main fix for that was being sure the antenna was long enough, etc., no LED lights in the garage interfering, but it can be hard to troubleshoot.

With the electrek article, the fix for the 'no sending' issue might be in the next release. If you believe what it says about new HL features, etc.

See this thread: Homelink — Change Transmit Mode

Does everyone on 17.38 or above have this new ‘Change transmit mode’ option?

Or is it limited to some new hardware that perhaps came with AP2.5? I think there are too many issues for it to be hardware related.

I have ‘Change transmit mode’ option on 17.34. I’ve also had intermittent Homelink performance since this version. It worked perfectly on the earlier versions.