Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Mike, I am aware that it's available on my phone but I don't drive and have my phone opened so that I can open the entrance gate and my phone app does not show the Inbound-Outbound icons so I don't know what it opens.
I didn't think this through and that they will release a software update for Homelink

Can I use homelink to detect if my garage door closed or not and if not, can I use the app or the car module to do so, say im miles away from home?
Not an included use case, but I imagine if you are subscribed to Premium Connectivity, use the mobile app to get a live view of the car surroundings, witness the garage door open, use the mobile app to activate Homelink, and verify closure via live view.

The more modern garage operators have built-in WiFi which have excellent monitoring to tell ya the open/close state of the garage door. A notification is sent to my phone if I leave it open for a predetermined amount of time which is reassuring.

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out how to use Homelink but I'll give it a try.
I don't believe that you can use Homelink to check the status of your garage door being that Homelink has 2 options, Open the garage door or Close the garage door.
Status of the garage door is not an option.
The Homelink display is only operation when you are near the garage door so you can not use it "miles" from home and from my experience, the phone app doesn't have an option to either open or close the garage door.
Quite frankly I am not sure what the phone app is suppose to do but I am almost sure that it can't be used to close the garage door from miles away.
Good luck with it
Bob

I am trying to figure out how to use Homelink but I'll give it a try.
I don't believe that you can use Homelink to check the status of your garage door being that Homelink has 2 options, Open the garage door or Close the garage door.
Status of the garage door is not an option.
The Homelink display is only operation when you are near the garage door so you can not use it "miles" from home and from my experience, the phone app doesn't have an option to either open or close the garage door.
Quite frankly I am not sure what the phone app is suppose to do but I am almost sure that it can't be used to close the garage door from miles away.
Good luck with it
Bob
Well, it could be used to open or close the garage door when YOU are miles away, but the car would have to be within garage door opener range. For example, if you are away from home but your car is in the garage, you COULD open the garage door for a friend that showed up at your house. All the app does is trigger the homelink module in the front of the car... doesn't do anything special to make your garage door magically internet connected.

Reactions: 101dals
Not an included use case, but I imagine if you are subscribed to Premium Connectivity, use the mobile app to get a live view of the car surroundings, witness the garage door open, use the mobile app to activate Homelink, and verify closure via live view.

The more modern garage operators have built-in WiFi which have excellent monitoring to tell ya the open/close state of the garage door. A notification is sent to my phone if I leave it open for a predetermined amount of time which is reassuring.
Really I think it's a case of upgrading my garage door openers to those myIQ ones where they are WiFi enabled...

Really I think it's a case of upgrading my garage door openers to those myIQ ones where they are WiFi enabled...
myQ sells an inexpensive ($20-30) retrofit for existing garage door openers in case anyone wants to check their garage door open/close status remotely. Unlike Homelink which doesn't care if the garage door is open or not and just toggles the state, myQ is aware of the current state of garage door (via a door mounted sensor in the retrofit module).

Ummmmm, I went out this morning and the Inbound-Outbound icons appeared at the bottom left corner of the display so I pressed the button, and I went.
When I can back, the icons did not appear and the "house" icon wasn't in the upper left corner of the screen so I had to ask the security guard to open the gate.
Any suggestions?
I can't voice activate Homelink, how do I activate or what do I click to bring up the "house" icon?
Thank you
Bob

myQ sells an inexpensive ($20-30) retrofit for existing garage door openers in case anyone wants to check their garage door open/close status remotely. Unlike Homelink which doesn't care if the garage door is open or not and just toggles the state, myQ is aware of the current state of garage door (via a door mounted sensor in the retrofit module).
The myQ is great. Use a raspberry pi with homebridge to control it.

Reactions: pcmike and leaftoy
That would be nice. Although Siri on my watch works pretty well too.
(For me) when it works. Sometimes watch app will hang searching for devices and when that happens I have to open the phone app and let it do FaceID login. And sometimes even that doesn’t work and I have to login with credentials again. But yes, most of the time watch app works great. But Tesla homelink integration is still worth it (to me) despite the cost. In fact once homelink was installed I find it is quicker to go to Tesla app and open the garage than use myQ. :)

Reactions: whatthe2
(For me) when it works. Sometimes watch app will hang searching for devices and when that happens I have to open the phone app and let it do FaceID login. And sometimes even that doesn’t work and I have to login with credentials again. But yes, most of the time watch app works great. But Tesla homelink integration is still worth it (to me) despite the cost. In fact once homelink was installed I find it is quicker to go to Tesla app and open the garage than use myQ. :)
I though it was just my LiftMaster WLED garage door operator with MyQ having an “okay” not good/excellent WiFi according to my router.

It’s too bad Homelink didn’t get more smart at least with a separate open and close button. I used the auto open feature and yes it closed on me backing. The rear camera has a hard time see up! Buyers beware lesson learned for those who back in.

I still think Tesla’s Homelink is worth the money considering how well integrated it is on the new UI update. Tesla gets it better with time! I find it forces my passenger to buckle up so my up front and center button appears on the screen.

Reactions: leaftoy
I still think Tesla’s Homelink is worth the money considering how well integrated it is on the new UI update. Tesla gets it better with time! I find it forces my passenger to buckle up so my up front and center button appears on the screen.
I would never have considered one for the Y prior however after seeing the updated UI integration on the S I did order one for the Y. My biggest complaint with all homelinks in the past was range sucked big time. The unit Tesla uses is great, even needed to dial it down a little since in auto open mode, just passing by the house would set it off and open the door.

Anybody run into issues with setup? I’m trying to set mine up but it doesn’t move past the getting ready to program screen. Any help would be appreciated. I called Tesla and Homelink. So far, nothing.

Attachments

• 32995531-8312-44FC-88B4-3873B59863A0.jpeg
    32995531-8312-44FC-88B4-3873B59863A0.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 160