Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honest P90D(L) Quarter Mile Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I saw that offer a few days ago.

Thought I'd never see it when the P90D was introduced.

I wonder though Andy,if a buyer didn't spend the 10k the first time around, why would he now?

In other words, sure there one a few. But not nearly as many P90D owners will bite at 10k as P85D owners who'll bite at 5k.

I wonder though Andy,if a buyer didn't spend the 10k the first time around, why would he now?

I can think of a few reasons, although I agree the majority of those interested probably would have gone for Ludicrous in the first place.

Some might not have had the funds at the time of purchase, or may really have been stretching, and find that it is easier to afford now. Some might have not been sure about the car, whether they'd be keeping it long-term, etc., and once deciding that they will be keeping it are more willing to put a little more money into it. Some might have been waiting to see if Ludicrous really delivered.

I'm sure there are other reasons as well.

In other words, sure there one a few. But not nearly as many P90D owners will bite at 10k as P85D owners who'll bite at 5k.

I agree 100% with this. No question about it.

And I expect you agree that we have to wonder why Tesla is still using a specification that it appears can't be met as a selling point. In all likelihood, the people who would spring for that upgrade would go for it with or without the mention of the 10.9 second quarter mile time. But by including it, Tesla is obligating themselves to deliver on the promise.

I have been three times to a dragstrip with my P85D to see how quick it is and blowing the doors off most ICEs. The Tesla is so stable at 115 mph and so easy just to punch the go pedal that any body can do it. The only expense is a Snell approved helmet for NHRA tracks. Now I am still waiting for the Ludicrous upgrade before returning to test the 0.2 sec expected improvement. Plus I may have to wait a few weeks after my hip replacement surgery April 7th.

Anyway I encourage taking your Tesla to the strip, reliving your youth and have fun.

Reactions: kennybobby
No question Tesla could be putting themselves into a position where they'll have to deliver the goods and to a few more people as time goes on.

I'm just hoping that they do.

Even if 10.9 happens, it would be nice to think that it could be run at will.

But I'm thinking that even if it is reached, that it won't be a routine occurrence.

Reactions: Andyw2100
Just had my first drag race at a real drag strip. Got 11.278 on my 2nd run.

My car is a Euro spec 2015 P90DL built around September 2015 vin 1051XX. Options include staggered 21" wheels, pano roof, dual chargers, premium interior, air suspension, no rear seats, no cold weather package.

Conditions: Ambient temperature around 26 C / 79 f. Elevation: sea level. I weigh around 180 lbs.

My prep: All windows and sunroof closed, Max Battery Ready, Charge around 92%, Suspension Low, tyre pressure at 40.5 psi, 2 mini burnouts to remove the water, stage and engage launch control, BOOM! Did not try to leave the wing mirrors folded in.

Time slip attached.

The guy I raced with had a heavily customised Camaro which made an ear splitting sound. My 1st Run was 11.815 due to wet tyres; the car couldn't grip and held back power. My 3rd Run was 11.523 because launch control didn't engage, so I didn't even have the slammed pedal launch. I'm sure I could have got another 11.2.

Alex

Attachments

• IMG-20160331-WA0030-2.jpg
    IMG-20160331-WA0030-2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 166
I think I just set a new tesla p90dl owner quarter time record.

My car was is 21's with continental tires 265 in the back 245 in the front. Had my pressures at 35psi. I did 12 runs fastest was a 11.128 @ 120.08
Fastest speed was a 11.164 @ 121.37. Track was slippery so there was a lot of wheel spin. I think I could of broke 11 if conditions were right. Car has pano roof and every single option except 3rd row and extra charger. I'm 190lb.1466371429726.jpg

My car was is 21's with continental tires 265 in the back 245 in the front. Had my pressures at 35psi. I did 12 runs fastest was a 11.128 @ 120.08
Fastest speed was a 11.164 @ 121.37. Track was slippery so there was a lot of wheel spin. I think I could of broke 11 if conditions were right. Car has pano roof and every single option except 3rd row and extra charger. I'm 190lb.View attachment 181602

Yep, both the 11.128 and the 121.37 mph top the thus far reported results.

I said just a few weeks ago that 11.1516 was going to fall.

I had no idea that it would be this soon.

It's looking more and more like this car just might have 10.9x in it.

Last edited:

Fastest speed was a 11.164 @ 121.37. Track was slippery so there was a lot of wheel spin. I think I could of broke 11 if conditions were right. Car has pano roof and every single option except 3rd row and extra charger. I'm 190lb.View attachment 181602
Wow, did you have a tailwind? What was the elevation of the track and ambient temperature?

No, he was most likely making a lot more power than P90DLs have been making previously. I'd hazard a guess in the 494 KW range ;)

No tail wind. Was running 11.1 all day. 40 deg c track temp bat temp was between 46 deg and 50deg all day. Will post a graph of all my runs and how bat soc effects speeds.

It's looking like there may have been a power increase.

If he was running 11.1 all day, that seems very likely.