Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honest P90D(L) Quarter Mile Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reduced density means reduced aerodynamic drag, at 6000' DA you have about 17% less aero drag, this should have a small effect on 1/4 mile time.

Edit: I missed the other responses... at 40C at 800' his DA was about 4K.

Thanks for the info.

Using the DragTImes app for calculating DA, Brainerd dragstrip and the time of day on his time slips, it's showing that the DA was around 2700ft.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Edit: If you put in 700 ft elevation and 40c (104F) on the DA calculator you linked you get 3900'

Relatively precise calculations can be made using the equations found here: http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930091285.pdf

The gap between 2700 and 4000 is too large to be accounted for by differences of method. I'd guess that the temp on the track was significantly higher than recorded ambient temps that wx apps use due to the pavements low reflectivity. Hard to say though.

A rule of thumb pilots use that might be helpful is each degree C above standard equals an extra 120 ft of density altitude, though this rule breaks down at higher (10k+) DA values.

Running 2.22.50 version. According to my car's temp sensor ambient temp was at 40 deg c. That sensor is close to black top plus car generates some heat. I'm sure 3-4 ft above pavement temp was cooler. This picture taken when I finished supercharging 3mi away. 20160618_104642.jpg

I think what slowed me down the most is the slippery track. You can see I could best manage 1.701sec 60 ft. I think if there was no wheel spin I could have easily been a low 1.6 taking the car dangerously close to breaking that 11 sec mark.

Does anyone know what best 60ft is for a p90dl?