Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Tesla staff called just now, and I asked all together. He told me to write to [email protected] to state the change in my configuration. I have decided to opt out of the Dual Charger after hearing what Mark said. Thanks Mark.

My only concerns for dual charger are:
A) I have the amperage at home anyway
B) Resale issues without it.

I am leaning towards not getting it. At 40A I can easily 100% fill the battery overnight.

If you are only going to be using public charging and 13A, the second charger will be of limited use.

Mark,

Do you have any understanding of the FRT Provisional Tax Valuation? I checked Customs Department site you got the quote from and it seems that for importers/dealers there is a way to apply before Feb 21 and receive FRT's Provisional Tax Valuation based on original tax before new budget. I assume that would be 0% for EVs. I wonder if we confirm/pay for a car now even if delivery is in April, whether we can lock into old (well, hopefully new as well) FRT waiver (or does Tesla need to have actual physical cars landed in HK first).

Mark,

Do you have any understanding of the FRT Provisional Tax Valuation? I checked Customs Department site you got the quote from and it seems that for importers/dealers there is a way to apply before Feb 21 and receive FRT's Provisional Tax Valuation based on original tax before new budget. I assume that would be 0% for EVs. I wonder if we confirm/pay for a car now even if delivery is in April, whether we can lock into old (well, hopefully new as well) FRT waiver (or does Tesla need to have actual physical cars landed in HK first).

I suspect Tesla would have to check if that is possible.

My concern is that there are two separate things here:
1] The FRT
2] The FRT waiver.

On a HK$579,000 car, the FRT is currently HK$463,350.

Say dealer (Tesla) locks it in at that rate, and Feb 26th the government raises it to across the board 10%. Because it is locked in, we can pay the old rate at HK$463,350 (rather than the new one HK$509,685).

Transport Department - Guidelines for Importation and Registration of Pure Electric Vehicle (PEV) and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV)

According to the Motor Vehicles (First Registration Tax) Ordinance (Cap. 330), first registration tax shall not be payable in respect of any motor vehicle which is propelled solely by electric power and does not emit any exhaust gas (i.e. PEVs). This provision shall expire on 31 March 2014 or such later date as the Legislative Council may by resolution determine.

So, up until 31st March 2014 we get to waive the first registration tax of HK$463,350 (or HK$509,685).

Checking the actual law:

Cap 330 s 5 Tax not payable in respect of certain motor vehicles (MOTOR VEHICLES (FIRST REGISTRATION TAX) ORDINANCE)

It is written as a clause:

(3) Tax shall not be payable in respect of any motor vehicle which is propelled solely by electric power and does not emit any exhaust gas. (Added 35 of 1994 s. 2)
(4) Subsection (3) and this subsection shall expire at midnight on 31 March 1997 or such later date* as the Legislative Council may by resolution determine. (Added 35 of 1994 s. 2)
Note:
* Expiry date: 31 March 2014 (see L.N. 237 of 1997; L.N. 70 of 2000 and 27 of 2000 s. 3; L.N. 77 of 2003; L.N. 53 of 2006; L.N. 50 of 2009).

So, the clause expires at 31st March 2014.

I suspect that you could lock-in the current rate of FRT by obtaining a Provisional Tax Valuation, but if you tried to register a car after 31st March 2014 you wouldn't be able to claim the waiver.

Now, if you could get a Provisional Tax Valuation saying HK$0 due, that would be a different story.

FRT is actually paid at the time of registration, and the car must be physically in Hong Kong at that time.

All that said, I'm not a lawyer :)

Regards, Mark.

P.S. FRT waiver for EVs was first introduced in 1994 (for 3 years until 1997), and has been renewed since (last time to expire 31st March 2014). So, it has been in place for 10 years now. It would be kind of abrupt for the government to cancel it (let it expire) just as EVs are starting to take off.

P.S. FRT waiver for EVs was first introduced in 1994 (for 3 years until 1997), and has been renewed since (last time to expire 31st March 2014). So, it has been in place for 10 years now. It would be kind of abrupt for the government to cancel it (let it expire) just as EVs are starting to take off.

10 years? I thought it was 20 years. In any case, it doesn't make your point any worse, Mark.

Most are 13A.

Some (will) have 32A.

>40A is very rare, but 80A can charge the car in 4.x hours.

I have 80A at home, and a wall charger, but I'm still considering whether dual chargers are necessary.

I took delivery of my P85 in November 2012 and have over 24K miles (36.6km). I have a HPWC at home in which I rarely use for my P85 (has dual charger option). Therefore, I believe dual charger and HPWC is not necessary especially in Hong Kong. However, it is more efficient if you charge your EV at a higher rate due to voltage drop over time.

I just configured a Model S for my sister (in Hong Kong) and unable to make payment online. The online order gave me three options: Phone, check, or wire. If I phone to Tesla@HongKong will they take my credit card?

- - - Updated - - -

My only concerns for dual charger are:
A) I have the amperage at home anyway
B) Resale issues without it.

I am leaning towards not getting it. At 40A I can easily 100% fill the battery overnight.

If you are only going to be using public charging and 13A, the second charger will be of limited use.
Below table in miles was taken from Tesla Motors's website:

Volts / Amps KiloWatts Miles/Hr of Charge
240V / 32Amp 7.68 kW 28 Miles (45km)
240V / 40Amp 9.6 kW 31 Miles (50km)
240V / 80Amp 19.2 kW 62 Miles (100km)
Supercharging @440V 225Amp 90 kW 300 Miles (483km)

If you have your own garage at home, I suggest to install a dedicated 40Amp outlet/breaker. If you use over your limit, the breaker will just flip so there is no harm.

I took delivery of my P85 in November 2012 and have over 24K miles (36.6km). I have a HPWC at home in which I rarely use for my P85 (has dual charger option). Therefore, I believe dual charger and HPWC is not necessary especially in Hong Kong. However, it is more efficient if you charge your EV at a higher rate due to voltage drop over time.

I just configured a Model S for my sister (in Hong Kong) and unable to make payment online. The online order gave me three options: Phone, check, or wire. If I phone to Tesla@HongKong will they take my credit card?

What a nice sister your sister has, Waidy! But if she is in HK, wouldn't she have a HK account, and she can transfer the money herself?

I suggest you wait until the 26th to see what will happen to the FRT after March 30th. With current delays, not even the first Signature can be delivered before April.

Maybe you have some inside information, I know you are well connected here. You can PM if you know something the public doesn't (yet) know :rolleyes:

A 40A charger at home would be nice, and after paying so much for a car, why not get it? Although as far as I can see, a 240/13A charger will fully charge a 85kWh battery in just over 24 hours, so for home charging, 40A is pure luxury, isn't it? Unless you need to drive 500 km pr day.

40A charging at home might not seem necessary, but it's actually quite convenient. If you ever do use up a large chunk of your battery in one day (and trust me, once you have the car, you will drive it more than you think you will ;)), you will really wish you had faster charging. If you have the option to install one at your home, I think it's a good idea, since it's usually not too expensive to install. If you have to do a lot of work to get it installed in a parking garage, though, that's probably not worth the trouble unless you drive a lot on a daily basis.

Still, once superchargers are up, you may be able to manage without 40A. Not as convenient as charging at home, but still very useful.

If you have your own garage at home, I suggest to install a dedicated 40Amp outlet/breaker. If you use over your limit, the breaker will just flip so there is no harm.

I'm really not certain what the cars will come with, but I suspect just one mobile charger.

A hassle to take out the charger cable from the trunk every time, plug into wall socket, then plug into car. Alternative is to get another charger and leave it in plug all the time, but I suspect that will work out almost the same price (and not so elegant as the HPWC).

For my roadster, I have the 13A mobile charger in the trunk (for public charging), and HPC on the wall at home. Neat, tidy, and so easy to plug in at night.

The car should come with a J1772 adapter. I'm not sure what's available in HK, but over here, if you think the 40A/80A HPWC is not worth the price (1200 USD), you can get a generic J1772 EVSE that outputs 24A for about the same price or less than the Tesla UMC (650 USD).

The car should come with a J1772 adapter. I'm not sure what's available in HK, but over here, if you think the 40A/80A HPWC is not worth the price (1200 USD), you can get a generic J1772 EVSE that outputs 24A for about the same price or less than the Tesla UMC (650 USD).
Yes, 772 is correct. Your MS comes with a UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) Shop Tesla Gear Mobile Connector Bundle which allows you to charge your MS at 40amp. If you want different adapter to connect to your garage outlet, a list of available adapters are here: Shop Tesla Gear Charging and Adapters (scroll down to the middle of the page).

It also comes with a J-1772 adapter Shop Tesla Gear SAE J1772.