TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by markwj, Mar 11, 2014.

Tags:
  1. waidy

waidy Member

I don't know how handy you are. You could make your own. I have 4 EVSEs + a hand full of 240V outlets and conversion cables in my garage. One of the EVSE (75Amp) is DiY project. Check out OpenEVSE page for ordering information. You may email and ask them to make you a unit if you don't want to do it. There is pricing information in one of the link. My 75Amp Open EVSE works great!!

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I was waiting for Tesla to formally announce this, but it seems that the news has been given to several Tesla owners already and is now public knowledge.

This is what we now know Tesla's strategy for Hong Kong is, and I have updated the first post of this thread appropriately:

1. Car side is European style socket (IEC62196)
    2. Cars will be Hong Kong specification (which may or may not differ from European cars)
    3. Charging port is at the rear left hand side of the car
    4. Cars will be delivered with a wall mounted medium-power-wall-charger (similar to HPWC, but 10A through 40A)
    5. There will be no mobile adaptor provided by Tesla in Hong Kong market
    6. There is no 40A-80A HPWC available yet, although it is promised for later in 2014.

Tesla will not be providing any support for the BS1363 13A socket in Hong Kong.

Here is my opinion, which I have already shared directly with Tesla:

Tesla is obviously playing it safe here, concerned about charging stations fires. Sure, the 13A sockets get hot, and some have been shown to melt. Some of the sockets I've seen in home garages are truly scary. But, the government EMSD have certified and approved these public charging station sockets for Electric Vehicle charging and deployed 1,000 of them around Hong Kong (half of which have been deployed by the electrical companies themselves - CLP and HKE). It really seems crazy to me that the government and two power companies are saying that these are safe and approved, but Tesla is saying not. I've been charging my roadster at these stations for the past three years, and I know of several owners who use them every day for 8-to-10 hours continuously without issue.

On the other hand, at the moment Tesla is supply-constrained, so a few hundred cars in Hong Kong make little difference to them.

Anyway, the good news is that we will get a much better home solution bundled with the car (I think MPWC is a good name - Medium Power Wall Charger, as low is typically household 10A/13A, medium is 32A-40A, and high is up to 80A). Costs for a 13A vs 16A/32A cable in a home garage should be almost the same (and if you really don't want to spend much - HK$50 to put a BS1343 plug on your MPWC and hang it off the wall next to your socket and charge at 10A).

If you buy a third party EVSE from an OEM, or build one yourself ( :scared: ), you'll need a IEC62196 connection to the Tesla Model S. Without a mobile connector or J1772 adaptor, direct IEC62196 is the only way.

The bad news is that today there is no support for the 1,000+ charging stations around Hong Kong. The recent policy address noted that there is a target for 100 32A public charging stations in Hong Kong (and I am told that places like IFC already have Mennekes IEC62196 in place). Discussions regarding the FRT exemption brought up a comment from EPD that Hong Kong has not decided on the socket/system to use for medium power charging yet (with Europe, USA and Japan all using different systems). It would be wonderful if Hong Kong standardised on IEC62196, and upgrades the existing BS1343 stations to IEC62196 32A single phase (which can provide a reasonable charge in 2 to 3 hours). So, short term this is terrible news, but longer term standardising the car connector on IEC62196 could really be a good solution.

- - - Updated - - -

And the Hong Kong website has been updated. It now says:

There are quite a few subtle changes there. My comments are:

• to charge at home or on the road - without a mobile connector, I think not.
    • Dual chargers now listed as only useful for cases when connected to an 80 amp power source - three phase not mentioned.
    • Preorder for HPWC.
    • No mention of 3 phase in specifications.
    • They are still listing mobile connector available under specifications.

Considering how long we have been waiting, and that people were asked to confirm their cars a month ago, this is a pretty weak web site update.

3. KingKitega

KingKitega Member

I've been told no plans for 3-phase charging atm... Clearly they think the strategy is owners will charge at home and single phase would be plenty provided they are allowed to install the MPWC.

4. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

Thanks very much for giving us so much info in your post Mark.

Though in reality this has no effect on me since I have a good charging solution, I am very disappointed that Tesla will have a HK specific solution and it will not involve being able to plug into a BS1363 socket. I am disappointed enough to consider cancelling my order until they fix this error. I am not spending $750k on a car that I will not be able to sell if I need and the reality is that not supporting BS1363 will make the car impossible for the majority of potential owners.

Where can I get the email address for Jerome Guillen?

5. Vmax

Vmax Member

Mark, your efforts to write directly to Tesla about the charging issue is highly appreciated.

6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be possible to buy a European portable EVSE with an IEC62196 connection for the car, and support for the BS1363 socket? I guess the problem is that BS1363 is a British standard. Is there such a thing as a IEC62196 compatible portable EVSE?

7. AppleFan

AppleFan Member

I 150% agree with Mark's email and want to extend my utmost and sincere gratitude to him for raising the issue with Tesla. Not supporting BS1363 is bound to significantly hamper prospective buyers' interest in Tesla or even EVs in general. What Mark suggests basically gives us the best of both worlds: faster and safer charging at home and the convenience of public charging (using the mobile connector). If it's a cost issue, make the mobile connector an option and have a tag on the mobile connector in large bold letters that it is not meant to be used for longer than X hours.

8. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P90DL

I'm sorry to jump in since I'm not from HK, but wouldn't it be possible to just get a EU UMC (or generic schuko-type2 charger cable like mennekes/lapp/ratio/etc brands that exist in the market) and use a good quality UK-EU adapter? Similar to this:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395576860.291607.jpg

9. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

You are right LL, but the thing I'm concerned about is your average buyer may be upset at having to buy an aftermarket anything after spending so much. I think Tesla really needs to take its HK buyers seriously in this matter.

10. markwj

Plenty of OEM options to consider, one of which is to simply put a BS1363 plug on the MPWC that comes with the car. At least the car side socket and protocol are standard.

11. Vmax

Vmax Member

The risk of anything going wrong because we start fiddling with our "own" adapter solutions is much higher than Tesla is giving us a proper way to plug into a BS1363 socket.

12. Cosmacelf

I agree guys, if there are perfectly viable third party options, just buy them. Even here in North America, we've had to make our own adapters for various types of electrical sockets. Buying a commercial EVSE with a manufactured adapter isn't a problem at all.

For those that know, can you post a link to some EVSEs that would work?

13. waidy

waidy Member

Accessory Tracker | Plug In America has a list of EVSE manufacturers with link to the product sites. In additions, you may chose to get the US version of UMC and cut both end to wire to your favorite connector. I have two Jesla which are Tesla UMCs with its proprietary connector cut off and wires a J1772 connector to charge my 2 Rav4EVs.

Attached Files:

14. Cosmacelf

Waidy, that link isn't very useful. None of the listed chargers are compatible with the Model S European charge port which is what is used in HK.

15. waidy

waidy Member

My impression is, some HK folks want to know what are available so they can do their own cut and wire.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, "chargers" is a wrong word since the charger is in the car. It's EVSE or charging station.

16. Lerxt

Lerxt Active Member

I really appreciate the helpful suggestions that people are offering here. My feeling is that Tesla should be looking after the buyers of its $100,000 usd vehicle and not putting people in a position where they have to wire their own plug. This is something the general public will never accept when looking for a car to buy.

17. Alipapa

Alipapa Member

Model S being not compatible with most if not all of the charging station in HK is ridiculous!

What have HK Tesla done for the past years? shouldn't they acknowledge and solve this problem when they start collecting deposit?

Eventually,I hope most of the charging station will be Tesla friendly as Model S is soon to be the best selling EV in HK

18. miimura

miimura Active Member

If Tesla has already said that the vehicle connector is IEC62196 (commonly referred to Mennekes or Type 2) then it is only logical that they should put the EU 3 phase on-board chargers. If the car will only have single phase on-board chargers, then it should be like what Tesla has stated for Japan - RHD, single phase, and the Tesla proprietary vehicle inlet. Mixing a Type 2 inlet and single phase on-board chargers is simply illogical.

19. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P90DL

20. markwj

I've updated the first post in this thread to show what we now know as certain.

Also updated is the description of three phase power in Hong Kong. It is 380V (4 wire). The three phase is arranged as a 4 wire supply (3 phases plus neutral) so that 220V (to neutral) can be obtained from each phase.

(thanks, Vmax, for clarification)