Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I told two of my friends who ordered this car but didn't read this forum about the car not supporting 13A household sockets and they are thinking about requesting refund (one of them called Tesla about this issue and the sales said they can request a refund).

One of my friends who is thinking about refund thinks better wait how it goes and order the car later. He thinks Tesla's policy is kinda like what happened on HKTV's license application with the HK government...... (government told Wong that there is no limits on number of TV license and Tesla told us any sockets can charge the Model S since 2012)...

I agree with him and I think if Tesla HK announce this to the public, most of the buyers may request a refund as I think many of them was planning to charge the car in one of the 1000+ 13A sockets in public parking..

I think this is ridiculous that Nissan Leaf and Tesla Roadster can be charged with those 13A sockets in HK, but we can't do that with the Model S....

I'm also quite unhappy about Tesla not supporting 13A household socket charging at the moment and still hope they will change their mind.

However this whole issue is a two edged sword, and as more as I think about it, I don't know what's worse for Tesla and/or the EV idea.
If they don't support it, they will damage the idea of "plug in and charge anywhere".
If they support it, and sockets melt or even worse, fires are caused, this would damage Tesla even worse. We need to remember, there may be many 13A sockets installed by so called "experts".

It would help if as many people as possible emailed Jerome Guillen ([email protected]) and complain and comment in a respectful manner. I did so and have not had a reply from him but I did get a response from my dealer rep. We can change this and I think HK matters to them after the large number of orders that were reported in the media. I've also tweeted Elon, with no reply....

We need to remember, there may be many 13A sockets installed by so called "experts".

There are two sorts of BS1363 sockets available in Hong Kong today:

1. Private sockets on the walls of homes, offices and garages. These often use the shared ring-main approach, and the wiring and quality of socket may be a concern.
  2. Public charging stations, which follow the EMSD (Government department here responsible for this) standards (published at this link). These use dedicated cables and 1-to-1 radial circuits, protected by RCDs and rated to 16A. The vast majority (>90%) of these are installed and run either by the government EMSD itself, or by the two electrical utility companies.

I have no concerns about the second class. The first terrifies me.

IMHO, Tesla should support the EMSD BS1343 guidelines with a mobile charging solution, but only for sockets that follow those guidelines.

I don't think they can, but as Mark suggested, signing a waiver would protect them, reducing the UMC to 10A would help and educating people would be important too. I have a feeling there has been a delay to this announcement and perhaps .....someone might be listening..... ( wishful thinking, I know).

Agree, but how can Tesla prevent people charge at a socket as per your point 1.?

A waiver.

That wouldn't stop someone doing it, but it would absolve Tesla of liability and let them say (a) we told the owner not to do it, (b) EMSD told the owner not to do it, (c) the owner did it, (d) not our fault, (e) not out liability.

By contrast: there is nothing to stop an owner from putting a 13AMP BS1343 plug on the delivered MPWC and plugging into a 40 year old china made half melted plug with lead wiring behind it.

They can also make the voltage-drop thresholds in the car really tight. Normally, shoddy wiring causes a large voltage drop when charging - the car can pick up on that and either reduce current or stop altogether.

It's not that illogical, the EU chargers are very versatile and besides three phase they can also accept 40A single phase per charger. So 80A single phase for dual chargers would be theoretically possible.
There is a French forum member that has successfully tested this up to 62A single phase:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ison-(wallbox)?p=588802&viewfull=1#post588802
I'm not saying that the EU 3-phase chargers cannot handle high current single phase power, I'm saying that the number of phases on the inlet and number of phases on the on-board chargers should match. Mis-matching those items is illogical.

However, I will point out again that the EU vehicles are not currently capable of charging with high current single phase provided by an IEC standard charging station. That French gentleman created his own non-standard wallbox to compensate for the shortcomings of the current implementation of Tesla's Type-2 inlet and internal car wiring. As I posted before, I expect that this will be rectified before new cars reach the UK and hardware changes will be delivered to all the existing EU cars to take care of this issue.

Tesla has updated their website again ( at least I didn't notice this before )

Model S comes standard with an onboard charger and a variable current, single phase wall connector (10 amp – 40 amp). For charging on the go, Model S is compatible with public charging stations using an IEC 62196 standard port. Each provide charge rates up to 50 kilometers of range per hour of charge.
For faster charge rates, equip your Model S with Dual Chargers and preorder an 80 amp wall connector. 80 amp wall connectors are under development and expect to ship in late 2014.

Am I correct in saying that the MS is therefore compatible with precisely 1 public charging station in HK? The general public will flock to Tesla with that... :wink:

At the moment you are correct, but by middle of the year there shall be 100 32A 1-phase upgraded from BS1343.
Just got call from Linda on my voicemail from Tesla USA as follow up to my email to Tesla HK concerning charging. Will schedule a call with them. Let's see what they will tell us.

Last edited:
Yes Vmax but what plug will they use? Type 2? I'd imagine ts would be possible to still need to buy or make your own cable. The government really needs to get its together and declare a standard companies can follow. If not , they may get voted out ....oh hang on....

In my opinion the de-facto standard will be the Type 2 (sometimes also called Mennekes) socket for semi-fast charging in HK. This is what the 100 32A public sockets will be and what is used by the dominant installation provider (EV Power) for their semi-fast charging boxes for private or public installations.
My call with Linda has been fixed for tomorrow morning. Will point out to her how important is charging from BS1343 sockets for HK, considering the liability waiver suggestions from Mark. Additionally will emphasize the importance of 3-phase.
Last not least I will ask if she has more details about the shipment for our cars. :wink:

Has anyone investigated European portable EVSEs? I don't even know if such a thing exists, but if it did, then presumably you could use it in HK, with, at worse, a simple socket adapter for the 13A plug since the car inlet is the same.

The other thing is that I'm not sure if folks in HK truly appreciate how much range the model S has. Given the size of HK, I would think you would never need to charge during the day at a public charger. Just plug in at night, in which case, the Tesla wall unit will work just fine.