Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Tesla Model S Charging Standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it be possible to measure the temperature at the outlet on each of the pin (just point the laser at the pin location). I have a Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer with Laser Targeting in which I use. It will be interesting to see the temperature different when charging at 13A and 10A, and to see which pin is the hottest, after 2-3 hours of charging.

Possible, but I suspect there would be considerable variance amongst sockets. Some heat up a lot more than others.

It's official (on the Design Studio): "Model S comes standard with an onboard charger and a variable current, single phase wall connector (10 amp – 40 amp). For charging on the go, Model S is compatible with public charging stations using an IEC 62196 standard port. Each provide charge rates up to 50 kilometers of range per hour of charge.
For faster charge rates, equip your Model S with Dual Chargers and preorder an 80 amp wall connector. 80 amp wall connectors are under development and expect to ship in late 2014."

And on the Specs page: "10 kW capable 40 amp Wall Connector with 220 V adapters"

Yes thats been up for a week or so. I think as Mark demonstrated, 10-13A is a bit of a waste of time with a big battery. I would say that in a years time, with all that is going on with Tesla Hong Kong's charge team, people will have much better charge options.

Not all is lost on BS1363 charging in future.
Linda (Corporate HQ Sales Advisor) from Tesla Palo Alto emailed me this morning. Please find a quote from her email as follows:

Because we do acknowledge the existence of the BS1363 outlet in HK, we will be working on a long term mobile and low-power connector that will allow customers to use these outlets. Even so, for the reasons I cited in our conversation, it is not our recommended charging method and as it is long term, won’t be available immediately. We still find that the other charging methods offer a much better customer experience.

Yes this is very much what I was told the other day speaking to a senior tech guy in HK. They know people want it and are aware that there are connectors like the one that was posted the other day with the plug temp sensing from Mennekes, and they may "comment" on it in the future. They are concerned with the possibility of overheating and think in the long run there will be better charging options. Apparently talks with the electrical companies is very positive but I'm not sure the govt fully understands the issue yet. Hopefully the EMSD will declare are plug standard soon.

It was also mentioned that they may provide a service that checks out your instalation to see if it's safe, amongst other things.

Isn't 32A the max we can get at a residential site in HK? So the 40A or 80A of the coming wall connector is just theoretical?
I believe the 32A limit is for sockets and is a common limitation in EU also. 3-phase 3x32A 380VAC "Red Connector" is the largest plug and socket available at 21kW. Higher current devices like the HPWC must be hard wired, sometimes with nearby disconnect, depending local codes.

The language in the charging section of the HK Design Studio is still strange.
Model S comes standard with an onboard charger and a variable current, single phase wall connector (10 amp – 40 amp). For charging on the go, Model S is compatible with public charging stations using an IEC 62196 standard port. Each provide charge rates up to 50 kilometers of range per hour of charge. For faster charge rates, equip your Model S with Dual Chargers and preorder an 80 amp wall connector. 80 amp wall connectors are under development and expect to ship in late 2014.
The language is very different from the UK version:
Model S comes with the necessary equipment to charge at home or on the road.

• 11 kW onboard charger
  • Mobile connector
  • Standard household outlet adapter
  • IEC Type 2-compatible charge port
  • IEC 60309 230 volt adapter (Blue)
Charge at up to 30 miles per hour (32 amps)
The main problem that I have with the language is that IEC 62196 encompasses Type-1 and Type-2. Type-1 is J1772 and Type-2 is the 3-phase compatible Mennekes style connector. In essence, they have still not cleared up whether the car will have 1-phase or 3-phase on-board chargers. On the one hand, the 40A and 80A numbers reflect commonality with the US on-board chargers because single charger and dual charger cars have those limits while the EU cars have 11kW and 22kW limits (16A x 3 and 32A x 3). On the other hand, if the car has single phase chargers, it makes no sense to put a Type-2 inlet on the car. It would make even less sense to put an IEC Type-1 inlet on the car when they could use the Tesla proprietary inlet like they decided to do in Japan. That inlet will be the first to support the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter.

Re-reading the HK language again, it never says or even implies that the vehicle inlet is IEC 62196. The car may be just like Japan and have the Tesla inlet. They could make it "compatible with public charging stations using an IEC 62196 standard port" by providing a Type-2 to Tesla cable. The UK Design Studio has an option to add a Type-2 to Type-2 cable that is needed to use those stations. They may add this new Type-2 to Tesla cable to the HK Design Studio in the future or just include it with all cars. However, I don't know how they could get a public Type-2 station to deliver 50km/hr charge rate. The typical rate would be 7kW (220VAC @ 32A) which is about 35km/hr. They would have to increase the current or voltage or both to hit 50km/hr (~10kW).

At least they have done a credible job explaining the move away from the Mobile Connector in HK. I don't really agree with it, but they have sufficiently explained their logic. The fact that they are working with HK electric utilities to evolve the public infrastructure does earn them some respect. I'm sure Tesla has shared the magnitude of order backlog with those parties and convinced them of how inadequate the existing public infrastructure is for a vehicle like the Model S. The typical HK owner's situation with residential car parks is truly different than any other Tesla market to date, so it will be interesting to see how this turns out. Superchargers intended for routine use by city-dwellers will also be new for Tesla. Now that I think about it, Supercharging is another key point of discussion for Tesla with the HK electricity providers.

miimura, another quote from Linda's email from this morning:

The Model S is designed as a three phase, four pole AC induction motor already so while it is capable for 3 phase charging, we currently do not have a 3 phase EVSE available yet. Should there be a demand and once validation on it is complete, it is a possibility this will be introduced in the future.

My understanding of above statement is, the car will accept 3-phase charging, only Tesla doesn't have a 3-phase wallbox (yet). So 3-phase charging from a suitable wallbox (e.g. EV Power) should work. However I'm still clarifying with Tesla if my understanding of their email is correct.

The Model S is designed as a three phase, four pole AC induction motor already so while it is capable for 3 phase charging, we currently do not have a 3 phase EVSE available yet. Should there be a demand and once validation on it is complete, it is a possibility this will be introduced in the future.

My understanding of above statement is, the car will accept 3-phase charging, only Tesla doesn't have a 3-phase wallbox (yet). So 3-phase charging from a suitable wallbox (e.g. EV Power) should work. However I'm still clarifying with Tesla if my understanding of their email is correct.
I confirmed Vmax's comments. Because I was ensured that HK Model S has 3-phase onboard charger, I added the twin charger because we have 3-phase in the garage.

The motor poles and phases are completely unrelated to charging and mentioning it in the same thought is questionable. If you accept "capable for 3 phase charging" as fact, that means that the only logical solution is to use the chargers and Type-2 vehicle inlet from the EU Model S vehicles. Any standard Type-2 EVSE should work, whether configured for 1-phase or 3-phase with any power circuit from 220V 10A (2.2kW) to 380V 32A (21kW). If they want to validate certain EVSE units, that is certainly their prerogative. Keep in mind that Type-2 EVSE are usually a Bring-Your-Own-Cable arrangement and each cable has a specific electrically coded current carrying capability.

Just received a copy of the official "Wall Connector 40A Single Phase Installation Manual" from Tesla. Apparently it will be coming out in Chinese soon.

Its interesting to note that it is for Hong Kong and China, so the mainland is going to get the same equipment.

It supports Single Phase and Split Phase 220V. The max rating is 10kW or 40A at 220v.