Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Horrible and Terrible Day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @ohmman for providing that link. That was the only answer to solve my door not working properly a few weeks ago.

(Surprise, the original text that @Blurry_Eyed copied was my post! I thought it looked familiar. Model X Auto Opening and Closing Door Issues ) ("windshield glass" should be "door window glass")

The software may need to have the door latch switch manually triggered before the door motor will operate again. It definitely worked for me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and ohmman
I disagree with the first part of the door fix above. I had the same problem. It seems very weird to put unusual massive pressure to fully open the door. I didn't feel comfortable doing that and didn't have to. I was told to just close it slowly and push the door in and hope that the car started to suck the door in properly. This worked on my third attempt. Then I locked and unlocked twice and all was good. As for the driver door, go in through the passenger door (once that one is working) and open it with the handle from the inside and perform the same routine. $5 bet it works if you do it right.

First attempt to try and posting a related thread so apologies if it doest work but I read similar issues with the doors on this thread and the answer appears to be a hard reset followed by manual closing the doors causes a recalibration.

-- Update. Just read above that this was already posted but the later discussion appears to simplify the method.

Simple is better.

1. Soft reset by holding the two steering wheel scroll wheels for 10 seconds.
2. Slowly close door and apply pressure to try to get the car to automatically suck in the doors.
3. If it doesn't work, open door from the inside and try again another two times.
4. Use remote to lock and unlock car twice.
5. Continue enjoying your MX

ModelXBoy.. sorry for having such a bad day! I think Tesla is feeling the pressure to get the Model Xs out the door and delivered. I heard they were even cutting back on MS test drives because personnel had to be shifted to cover down on MX preparations.

I hope they get it fixed soon and keep us posted! Congratulations on your baby!

W
Thanks @ohmman for providing that link. That was the only answer to solve my door not working properly a few weeks ago.

(Surprise, the original text that @Blurry_Eyed copied was my post! I thought it looked familiar. Model X Auto Opening and Closing Door Issues ) ("windshield glass" should be "door window glass")

The software may need to have the door latch switch manually triggered before the door motor will operate again. It definitely worked for me.

Where is the door latch switch? Any pics?

ModelXBoy,
I notice that your driver-side door is misaligned with the FWD when closed. I just took delivery of my MX Sig, and the driver door was similarly misaligned. The SC tried to fix it by adjusting the strike plate of the latch on the door frame, and improved it, but did not completely line it up.

Would you let us know if they are able to fix that issue when repairing your doors, and if the two issues might be related?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
A few pictures after detailing

After two months of problems I finally got my car the 65 miles to my house this afternoon. The latest problem was a known issue with the latching hardware on the driver's door. It was six miles from the SC this time when the driver's door wouldn't latch and the car was undriveable. The SC sent someone out and they couldn't get it to latch either. Had to be taken back to SC. They didn't have a loaner. Booting didn't help. Because it a systemic problem they decided to replace left and right door electronic latches. After two months of not being able to get the car the 65 miles home I escalated to the regional manager. My SC just was not treating the issues with any urgency. I went over the two months of problems I told him they could just take the car back and give me my money back.

I will say Mark, the service manager for the area had the parts expressed from Fremont and he even compensated me for my inconvienance. He even called this evening to make sure everything was ok and to make sure I got the car home.

Another thing my detailer found was there had been damage to the rear area of the fender on both sides. It had been repaired but still had swirls and scratches which needed correcting.

Didn't have time to spend lots of time with car today as we hosted a charity event for 350 guest this evening and have company arriving tomorrow.

View attachment 168129 View attachment 168130 View attachment 168131 View attachment 168132 A few pictures after detailing

After two months of problems I finally got my car the 65 miles to my house this afternoon. The latest problem was a known issue with the latching hardware on the driver's door. It was six miles from the SC this time when the driver's door wouldn't latch and the car was undriveable. The SC sent someone out and they couldn't get it to latch either. Had to be taken back to SC. They didn't have a loaner. Booting didn't help. Because it a systemic problem they decided to replace left and right door electronic latches. After two months of not being able to get the car the 65 miles home I escalated to the regional manager. My SC just was not treating the issues with any urgency. I went over the two months of problems I told him they could just take the car back and give me my money back.

I will say Mark, the service manager for the area had the parts expressed from Fremont and he even compensated me for my inconvienance. He even called this evening to make sure everything was ok and to make sure I got the car home.

Another thing my detailer found was there had been damage to the rear area of the fender on both sides. It had been repaired but still had swirls and scratches which needed correcting.

Didn't have time to spend lots of time with car today as we hosted a charity event for 350 guest this evening and have company arriving tomorrow.

Wow, I am afraid i am in the same boat. The driver door does not latch no matter what i do. I am so concerned right now as there might be significant problems with the X in general.

Driver door latching seems to be a common issue even this "late" in the game with ramp.

Unfortunate and not comforting to say the least as my X will be delivered in next 2 weeks

Sigh... I don't know what to say. i have no confident at all now. Don't know what to expect from the X now. I went in deeper to look at the fit and finish, it's horrible. Rubbers cut too long, rubbing against paint. Poor trimming, bad allignment, painting is some of the worst also. Many "Water Dot" paint around the inner door side, little scratch here and there. I don't even want to talk about the details. Just fix the latch please! Sigh...

This begs the question....what % of X being delivered are coming with door latch or other issues?

Is it a small percentage which is magnified here in the forums because we have a small sample size or is it a large scale issue?

I realize it will be hard to answer without the data, but have not seen many posts from those who have taken delivery saying everything is fine

And these issues seem more serious and voluminous than when the S first came out

Darryl-I am glad to say that your X looks stunning! I am glad it is finally home again.
ModelXboy-I am so sorry to hear this happened! Good luck with the car and the upcoming baby!

Thank you for your kind words. I am asking myself a question, Do you want your kid to drive that perfect smart car? If you do, we have to be the pioneer willing to take the beta testers with nothing but problems. People who are going to get the Iphone 7 this year should always remember there are people who are the early pioneeres and got the Iphone 2G! Same thing with Model X, we are getting something revolutionary in it's beginning stage.

Reactions: GSP and ModelX
This begs the question....what % of X being delivered are coming with door latch or other issues?

Is it a small percentage which is magnified here in the forums because we have a small sample size or is it a large scale issue?

I realize it will be hard to answer without the data, but have not seen many posts from those who have taken delivery saying everything is fine

And these issues seem more serious and voluminous than when the S first came out

Well, I think we are the minorities here. Vast majority of people who have these problems will simply go to their service center and fix them. They will not come to this forum to voice their problem in public. Regardless if there is a problem or not, we are never alone.