Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible Horrible and Terrible Day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for adding salt to the wound. My charger cover does not open automatically when pressing the button on the charger handle, anyone else has the same issue?

I am really worried now, yesterday you didn't have any complaints so I thought they finally solved all the build quality issues. Now I am concerned, especially since I will also take delivery at Costa Mesa.

I am really worried now, yesterday you didn't have any complaints so I thought they finally solved all the build quality issues. Now I am concerned, especially since I will also take delivery at Costa Mesa.

yeah, like i said i had only less than 1 hour of time with the car yesterday. Too excited to look for bugs and problems. When your emotion settled down, you will start noticing. let me put this way, anything minor i don't care, if door does not open, or lid does not open, you will know right away. Don't worry about rubbers, scratches, dings, etc. Those will be there. Just get all the big kinks fixed and I am a happy owner again.

Sorry for adding salt to the wound. My charger cover does not open automatically when pressing the button on the charger handle, anyone else has the same issue?
Charger doors on X do not open automatically. Tesla already said it will be done in next or following software update. So this part is not a glitch in yours, but just well known already feature that doesn't work yet.

Wow ModelXBoy!
You are terrific customer and Tesla should be grateful for your attitude.
Good luck!

Well here is my trend of thought, if i keep going back for those minor problems, when is the end? I will burden my mind everyday knowing i have scratches here need to touch up, ding there need to pop out. To be honest i am very easy going guy, i simply just want a revolutionary product money can buy that give me satisfaction of joy and pride. I might loose that joy if i keep on search for minor problems, and there are lots of them, at least for me. : (

Well here is my trend of thought, if i keep going back for those minor problems, when is the end? I will burden my mind everyday knowing i have scratches here need to touch up, ding there need to pop out. To be honest i am very easy going guy, i simply just want a revolutionary product money can buy that give me satisfaction of joy and pride. I might loose that joy if i keep on search for minor problems, and there are lots of them, at least for me. : (
You have a great mindset. Tesla will take care of the problems gradually. It's their 2nd car. People compare them with the companies that have been around for 50-100 years. However, be sure that you get all the fit and finish problems dealt with. It might take some time but ask Tesla to solve them all.
I was expecting the door problems to raise its head again and again. Tesla has done the R&D run on X in Jan-Feb. It improved X a lot but it's still not perfect. I expect most of cars to have the doors problem. It's not a QA issue. It's an engineering issue. Delivery guys can't do anything about even if you give them a year to go over your X inch by inch. I believe Tesla will slowdown again in early next quater to work on the issues that presented themselves in new deliveries, they will solve them and then start deliveries again in Q2 end. I hope you get your doors closed. Don't take stress on mind, things will improve gradually.

...My charger cover does not open automatically when pressing the button on the charger handle, anyone else has the same issue?
The charger door does not open with the charge handle button press, and that is a good thing at the Superchargers.

At home, either press/hold your key fob, use the touch screen or better yet, when the Model X is unlocked, just press the left side of the reflector and it will open. No more auto opening reflectors at the Supercharger.

They called back. They need to find someone who has experience with the X to first of all turn on the car, they have to find a way to close passenger door. If not, they can't even tow the car, it's stuck in the garage with the door open like that. Then we go from there.... waiting for the to call back again...
So what the heck happens when you are in an accident and the power fails?

...part of my door on both side did not get painted!...
I took a look at the same location on my vehicle and was surprised to see the location where the vehicle was assembled. I had not noticed the seam before. The joint is visible, but indented where the two parts are attached. It is fully painted with clear coat over the seam. Here are two photos of the same location for comparison on the early Signature teenage VIN.

IMG_3039.jpg IMG_3040.jpg

So what the heck happens when you are in an accident and the power fails?
The inside pull handle on the Model X driver and passenger door will unlatch the door manually (same as Model S). If the electric motor doesn't push the door open, then the person can manually push the door open. There is resistance, but it will open.

If a falcon wing door fails to unlatch, then a cable release behind the speaker grill can be pulled. The door can then be pushed outward with resistance. When one of my FWDs failed to open, the window could still be lowered. It is much easier to exit through the other FWD that works then bothering with manual procedures.

Where is the door latch switch? Any pics?
Here is a photo of the driver's side door latch on the door. The switch to trigger would be on the far left. Placing a key or other similar object into the slot or center space with a movement towards the outside of the door should trigger the switch that lets the computer know that the door has latched fully. At that point, the window glass would rise. Be careful if using the procedure to make sure that the door is "opened" again (or use the window button to lower the glass) to have the window glass lower before closing the door.

Some detailers use this procedure to help clean the glass or when applying tint material. It did help solve my driver door problem when it would not move electrically or latch electrically when manually pushing the door closed. I have never needed to do this again and I do not use the technique after washing the car.

IMG_3041.jpg

Reactions: highedu
Here is a photo of the driver's side door latch on the door. The switch to trigger would be on the far left. Placing a key or other similar object into the slot or center space with a movement towards the outside of the door should trigger the switch that lets the computer know that the door has latched fully. At that point, the window glass would rise. Be careful if using the procedure to make sure that the door is "opened" again (or use the window button to lower the glass) to have the window glass lower before closing the door.

Some detailers use this procedure to help clean the glass or when applying tint material. It did help solve my driver door problem when it would not move electrically or latch electrically when manually pushing the door closed. I have never needed to do this again and I do not use the technique after washing the car.

View attachment 168154

Mark, can you mark a quick video?

I took a look at the same location on my vehicle and was surprised to see the location where the vehicle was assembled. I had not noticed the seam before. The joint is visible, but indented where the two parts are attached. It is fully painted with clear coat over the seam. Here are two photos of the same location for comparison on the early Signature teenage VIN.

View attachment 168150 View attachment 168151

Yup, Tesla forgot to paint and clear coat mine! It's going to body shop for that this coming Monday! Tesla Team is here to fix the Latch on the driver door right now.

Reactions: Waldek and ohmman
Updates:
Tesla service people came, three technicians were here. They pop the left driver door, reset everything and all good now. Here is the deal, they will order a new set of latches for both driver and passenger door for me and install for me upon arrival. The car will enter service center Monday for paint, scratch and alignment problems. They are hopin to install the new latch on Monday also, if not I have to go second trip for the latch install. Car is good for now to drive. Two precautions:
1. Do not park your car to close to the car next to you, the latch might get confused to open or not to open since it's too close and wanting to avoid hitting the other car. Once confused, you stuck like I did last night.
2. Do not leave any door open for over 30 min , doing this might confused the door and shut down the calibration.

Thanks guys. Hopefully everything will run smoothly now. I am in hospital now as my wife is delivering our first baby. Any min now. : )