Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOT door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To summarize what others have said. Chrome was the worst possible choice. Do anything to change the color, or reportedly add a clear buffer, and problem solved. I changed mine to body color (silver) and no longer burn the flesh of my hand opening the door.

If you can turn on the A/C from the phone app several minutes before returning to your car, the air actually blows on the back of the handle, cooling them down sufficiently. You could also just grab them with your shirttail or other piece of cloth.

I tried turning on the A/C in advance but it didn't seem to have any effect on the handles - don't know if this is something that changed in the refresh?

I found some self-adhesive foam at a craft shop, only about 1-2mm thick but seems to have done the trick so far. I did only put it on last night so time will tell how it lasts...

This is the 4th summer I've had my car in Texas - and the hot handles have only been a problem if I forget to pre-cool the car. I usually start the AC 10 to 15 minutes before I'll get to the car - and can't recall having any issue with the handles - even if the car has been sitting out in the sun for hours.

If Tesla changed the design to eliminate cooling of the handles - then that could be a major problem - because when I have forgotten to pre-cool the car in the summer, the handles are pretty hot.

• Informative
Reactions: Reekdog
To summarize what others have said. Chrome was the worst possible choice. Do anything to change the color, or reportedly add a clear buffer, and problem solved. I changed mine to body color (silver) and no longer burn the flesh of my hand opening the door.
Where did you get the silver body color door handles? I need this! Thanks!

This is the 4th summer I've had my car in Texas - and the hot handles have only been a problem if I forget to pre-cool the car. I usually start the AC 10 to 15 minutes before I'll get to the car - and can't recall having any issue with the handles - even if the car has been sitting out in the sun for hours.

If Tesla changed the design to eliminate cooling of the handles - then that could be a major problem - because when I have forgotten to pre-cool the car in the summer, the handles are pretty hot.
My first summer with the MS in Dallas and I've noticed the same thing. Cool air exhausting by the handles when it is pre-cooling and the handles aren't that hot. I think it isn't a deliberate design feature but more a coincidence that the cabin air exhaust through the doors cools the handles.

Where did you get the silver body color door handles? I need this! Thanks!
Avery SW900 Supreme Gloss Silver Metallic film about perfectly matches the Silver S paint.

I wrapped the handles by hand, but if you want to make the wrapping simpler, there are templates you can find in this forum that eliminate the stretching and wrinkle handling aspects of the wrapping process.

Using the templates, you will need either a vinyl cutting printer, or the ability to print on adhesive paper, and then cut the pattern out by hand.

I'm sorry but I really don't get this issue. It was 47°C here today. The handles are hot, sure, but you can just flick them quickly enough with your bare hand such that it pops the door solenoid open, and then open the door. That's my strategy, anyway.

That's fine for you, I'd probably live with it myself, but when my 4 year old son starts crying because he's burnt himself it's a bit more of an issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: JPUConn
Avery SW900 Supreme Gloss Silver Metallic film about perfectly matches the Silver S paint.

I wrapped the handles by hand, but if you want to make the wrapping simpler, there are templates you can find in this forum that eliminate the stretching and wrinkle handling aspects of the wrapping process.

Using the templates, you will need either a vinyl cutting printer, or the ability to print on adhesive paper, and then cut the pattern out by hand.
@Terra117,

Is this what you're talking about?
I asked the seller and they confirmed it has an adhesive back. So, I should be able to just use the online template and apply the product, right?

I ordered the handle wraps today so I will post after they arrive and are installed. It is a big deal for small children, it is hot enough to cause pain. My 7 year old son won't open the door after the car has been in direct sunlight after a few bad experiences. Even my wife has mentioned how hot they get.

@Terra117,

Is this what you're talking about?
I asked the seller and they confirmed it has an adhesive back. So, I should be able to just use the online template and apply the product, right?

Yes and yes.

The adhesive has a strong tack, yet can be lifted and repositioned.

Use a dilute mixture of rubbing alcohol and water to thoroughly clean the handles. Make sure everything is perfectly dry before applying the film.

2 cautions. First, don't let the adhesive film stick to itself. That piece will be ruined. Second, if you lift to reapply, be careful to not stretch the film too much.

After you have it applied to the point where you say "done", firmly rub the film. there are hard plastic cards made for this, get one with felt on one edge. Amazon sells these too.

Finally, heat the film. If you don't have a heat gun, a hair dryer will work. The heating will replace the "memory" the film had for laying flat with the shape of the door handle.

• Informative
Reactions: MGMDaware
Yes and yes.

Use a dilute mixture of rubbing alcohol and water to thoroughly clean the handles. Make sure everything is perfectly dry before applying the film.

2 cautions. First, don't let the adhesive film stick to itself. That piece will be ruined. Second, if you lift to reapply, be careful to not stretch the film too much.

After you have it applied to the point where you say "done", firmly rub the film. there are hard plastic cards made for this, get one with felt on one edge. Amazon sells these too.

Finally, heat the film. If you don't have a heat gun, a hair dryer will work. The heating will replace the "memory" the film had for laying flat with the shape of the door handle.
Awesome information. Thank you so much.

Yes and yes.

Any chance you could upload a few pics of your silver baby with some close ups of the door handles?! I can't find any pics and would love to see what it looks like. Thanks!