Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotel Chargers useless without reservation option !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just called the courtyard in Kansas which has a charger. We will stay in Kansas overnight on our long trip from Tampa,FL to the TMC connect convention. I asked if I can make a reservation on the charger and they said no it's first come first serve.

Am I the stupid here with the opinion that this is completely useless ?? Why should I stay at a hotel if I have to "play the lottery" if I have a full or empty car the next day ? I understand that multiple guests might need the charger, but that is very easy to organize. Even a simple Google spreadsheet would do the job.

What do you all think about this ? What experiences have there been with hotel charging , occupied chargers etc ?

They should want reservations simply to know if there will likely be an issue. It could still be first come first served but if two people made reservations they could work with both people to get them as much of a charge as possible.

Just called the courtyard in Kansas which has a charger. We will stay in Kansas overnight on our long trip from Tampa,FL to the TMC connect convention. I asked if I can make a reservation on the charger and they said no it's first come first serve.

Am I the stupid here with the opinion that this is completely useless ?? Why should I stay at a hotel if I have to "play the lottery" if I have a full or empty car the next day ? I understand that multiple guests might need the charger, but that is very easy to organize. Even a simple Google spreadsheet would do the job.

What do you all think about this ? What experiences have there been with hotel charging , occupied chargers etc ?

That's an interesting idea... I think most are first come first served, but a simple reservation system would help alleviate charger rage and hogging for sure...

They have not created a solution because there has not been a problem up to now. At almost all hotels with charging available, there are so few EVs that stop by that they don't have conflicts. If they don't have conflicts, why create a solution? Most places are reactive, rather than proactive. They will create a solution when the problem appears.

Unless the mass migration to TMC or something similar distorts the statistics, I doubt that you will have a problem. Make your own choices, but I have stayed at plenty of hotels with the same policy and have not had a problem.

Good Luck, and enjoy your drive to TMC!

Interestingly, a yearly convention I attend has a hotel nearby that a convention rate is negotiated, and thus a number of attendees stay there. They have a 70A Tesla J1772 charging station in their garage. The time I stayed there a year ago, there was contention for it: myself and a friend with a Volt also staying for the convention, as well as another model S driving through...

This was a year ago, so I'm sure as more Esses are on the road, there will be need for more destination chargers...