Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotels in Florida with Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I had looked at this thread four days ago when I drove my Roadster to Key West. I would have, at the least, confirmed the existence of this charging station.

As it was, I stayed in the Keys about 50 miles from Key West in Marathon at the Coconut Cay Resort & Marina which just recently installed a NEMA 14-50 240 volt 50 amp outlet for charging in its parking area (see photos below). I have posted this charging station to PlugShare and Recargo.

I will post more on this Key West trip in the thread I started on it. For now, the hotel location is:

Coconut Cay Resort & Marina
7196 Overseas Highway, Mile Marker 50
Marathon, FL 33050
305-289-7672
Florida Keys Vacation | Marathon FL | Paradise

Thanks John,

Here's your recargo entry.

Coconut Cay Resort & Marina
7196 Overseas Hwy, Mile Marker 51
Marathon, FL 33050
(305) 289-7672
www.coconutcay.com

Map of Florida Hotels with Electric Charging Stations

Larry

Couldn't find this by browsing the Florida subforum, but Orlando International Airport has a lot of EV ONLY parking spots with chargers. Posted in here because it has to do with travel. Took this photo today at the short term ($17/day) parking on terminal B.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1393181576043.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1393181576043.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 455
While not technically charging stations, if you stay in the beach bungalows at the Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada, each bungalow has a carport underneath it and they have 110v outlets by each parking spot. It's not fast, but it's enough to get you back to Miami if you plug in overnight. I stayed 2 nights and was able to get a full charge for my S60.

Good Afternoon Folks.

My name is Daniel Deschand and I am the IT Coordinator for the Hyatt Regency Sarasota. I am a member of our green team and I am trying to make the push for us to have Dedicated EV Charging here on site. I have seen many Teslas on my drive to work (Always makes me smile as I am striving to purchase one when all is said and done) and I know the community is definitely here in this area.

One of my key points to present to my team is "If we provide charging, we will be in a better position to get their business" Another is "Plug-In Hybrids and Full Electric vehicles are making a big climb compared to years prior, this would give us a good ROI if we were to place Chargers on site."

We have the room in our garage and up on our Valet Deck for chargers, the challenge is...we have a very limited parking area as anyone who has come here for an event could tell you (I've parked at the Van Wezel because there was nothing else available) so it might be a hard sell to the ownership to "give up" regular spots.

Any advice would be appreciated as I try to get my team behind this and hopefully get it into the budget.

Thanks!

Daniel Deschand
IT Coordinator
Hyatt Regency Sarasota

Good Afternoon Folks.

My name is Daniel Deschand and I am the IT Coordinator for the Hyatt Regency Sarasota. I am a member of our green team and I am trying to make the push for us to have Dedicated EV Charging here on site. I have seen many Teslas on my drive to work (Always makes me smile as I am striving to purchase one when all is said and done) and I know the community is definitely here in this area.

One of my key points to present to my team is "If we provide charging, we will be in a better position to get their business" Another is "Plug-In Hybrids and Full Electric vehicles are making a big climb compared to years prior, this would give us a good ROI if we were to place Chargers on site."

We have the room in our garage and up on our Valet Deck for chargers, the challenge is...we have a very limited parking area as anyone who has come here for an event could tell you (I've parked at the Van Wezel because there was nothing else available) so it might be a hard sell to the ownership to "give up" regular spots.

Any advice would be appreciated as I try to get my team behind this and hopefully get it into the budget.

Thanks!

Daniel Deschand
IT Coordinator
Hyatt Regency Sarasota

What I have seen done at other hotels where parking is really tight is to put the charging equipment (EVSE) in the Valet area. This lets the valet staff sort out the situation and use the space most efficiently. Some places then require the EV owner to pay the valet charge, some waive the valet fee in recognition of supporting the environment, and some allow self park in the valet area for EV's. Those choices are a management call, but every place has made the charging itself complimentary.

For all of the types of EV's you are talking about supporting, I would recommend at least a few 30A, 208-240V J1772 EVSE's. You will make the Tesla crowd happy if you spend a few dollars more and put in 40 Amp units. Either way, the best choice looking toward the future, is to install an electrical sub-panel near the EV charging area that will handle several EVSE's in the future, and then install 2 or 3 spaces now. That will make installing more later, much easier, and will be only slightly more cost than just installing the few EVSE's now.

Thanks for taking the initiative, and good luck!

Daniel,

You've come to the right place. I've found that Tesla owners typically are an educated bunch that seek out businesses that support electric vehicles. Last year I assisted my city leadership with the installation of a quick charge station. I created a presentation that gave an overview of why installation of a EV charging station was "good", what type of stations were appropriate and covered existing regulations in Florida. If you PM me your email address, I'd be more than happy sharing it with you.

The bottom line is, EV owners want charging stations located near “something to do” (attractions, restaurants, parks, hotels, etc.) since they’ll usually charge for between 1-3 hours on average. For EV owners on a road trip, Tesla thankfully deployed the Supercharger network. Consequently, we're less dependent on publicly available charging stations but it is still a necessity. Personally, if I'm travelling to a city in my Model S, you bet I'm more likely to stay at a property that has a Level 2 charging station or NEMA 14-50 outlet available.

Also, locations don’t need to place charging stations in prime parking spots. EV owners don't mind walking a little further if they're able to charge up. Plus it reduces the likelihood that non-EVs will park there illegally. There's nothing worse than pulling up to the only "gas" station around to find it blocked off by someone who doesn't need that type of "gas."

Also, locations don’t need to place charging stations in prime parking spots. EV owners don't mind walking a little further if they're able to charge up. Plus it reduces the likelihood that non-EVs will park there illegally. There's nothing worse than pulling up to the only "gas" station around to find it blocked off by someone who doesn't need that type of "gas."

i agree with this. Last fall I attended a conference at the Sarasota Ritz Carlton, which is adjacent to the Hyatt. They had only 110 charging, so I parked at the Sarasota City lot with J1772 chargers about three blocks away. I didn't mind the walk at all. Of course, that might be different in August during the typical afternoon thunderstorms!

Good Afternoon Folks.

Thanks!

Daniel Deschand
IT Coordinator
Hyatt Regency Sarasota

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for reaching out to us! I am the President of Florida Tesla Enthusiasts. This is a club with over 240 households across the state. If you convince management to install charging equipment I would be happy to send out a mass mailing to all our members informing them of this important amenity. Sarasota is a wonderful destination and I can assure you that this would attract a lot of business to your hotel.

I happen to live in Sarasota and I would be happy to meet with you and your green team at the Hyatt to discuss this further. Some of our other club officers are also Sarasotans they may be prepared to join in the discussion. I also have a contact within Tesla who may be able to assist you in your project.

Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] to pursue this further.

Regards,

Larry Chanin

Daniel,

I definitely stay at a Hotel with a EV charger if it is available. Last trip to Miami we stayed at the Hampton Inn Miami Brickell because of the EV charger. We were headed to the Keys from Naples and needed a charge before heading to Key West.

Thanks for trying to get a charger installed.

Roland

Well so far so good. I wasn't able to speak during the green team meeting as we had two other projects they wanted to clear out by the end of the month. But, I spoke with my Finance Director and she liked the idea. She LOVED the look of the Teslas, especially the model X, since she drives an SUV Now. The touchscreen made her gasp and go "Look at the size of that GPS Display!" She wasn't thrilled with the cost of the Vehicle off the bat, but when I said "No Oil Changes Monthly/3,000 miles. No Gas station trips, most issues are fixed wirelessly" She seemed a bit more reasonable to it.

I showed her the Charging stations and told her of the group and that "If we build it, they will come" She immedately jumped on that. Revenue for the hotel in return for placing chargers? She liked that! I told her the ROI would definitely be in our favor since there are very few charging locations in our area (according to one of the Charging Maps I pulled up) EV drivers want somewhere that has a charger. If we have a charger, we will open up the doors for new guests who will tell others about the charging and so on...and so on... I had to hint that we might need to add a few Tesla Chargers for employee use and she laughed (She knows I am looking towards a Model S someday)

I'm going to build on the information given to me from everyone to build a good case for chargers. I will be pushing for 40A and up!

Thanks again for all your assistance and hopefully I'll be able to come back with good news. It might not happen this year as I need to get this into budget for FY'15 but I will be trying to find out what I can and how fast we can get it.

Stayed at the Hampton Inn Miami Brickell, an eco-friendly hotel and they had indoor parking $18 per day with 2 dedicated parking spots for E vehicles, 30 Amp, 240 V.
Miami Brickell Hotels: Hampton Inn Suites Miami Brickell Downtown, FL OFFICIAL WEBSITE. A new Hampton Inn & Suites hotel in Brickell Miami Downtown, brickell elegance priced right nestled between Conrad Hilton, JW Marriott, and Viceroy
Stayed there for the Sony open and saw 2 other Tesla Model S's parked there during our stay.
Would recommend.

I'm going to build on the information given to me from everyone to build a good case for chargers. I will be pushing for 40A and up!

Thanks again for all your assistance and hopefully I'll be able to come back with good news. It might not happen this year as I need to get this into budget for FY'15 but I will be trying to find out what I can and how fast we can get it.

Daniel, worth noting that the Ritz doesn't have chargers (and no where easy to put them); they advise folks to drive to Palm Ave or Marina Jacks and use the J1772 Clipper Creek low amp chargers, which also means guests have to walk back to the hotel as the Ritz valet doesn't take care of it.

Daniel, worth noting that the Ritz doesn't have chargers (and no where easy to put them); they advise folks to drive to Palm Ave or Marina Jacks and use the J1772 Clipper Creek low amp chargers, which also means guests have to walk back to the hotel as the Ritz valet doesn't take care of it.
Good point and the Palm Avenue garage is not open overnight.

Larry

As I noted in post #90 above, that was exactly my experience at the Ritz last fall. They do have a 110 outlet accessible near their front entrance, but only useful if you plan to stay plugged in for several days.

my only other problem was that I backed into the spot in the garage, not having noticed the "no backing in" signs posted nearby. I was given a parking ticket and, even worse, the person who issued the ticket also turned off the charger to which I was attached. I only discovered it when I checked the Tesla app on my phone.

Good Afternoon Folks.

Thanks!

Daniel Deschand
IT Coordinator
Hyatt Regency Sarasota

Daniel,

There is no question that Tesla owners will seek out a hotel with overnight charging. And if it's Tesla owners in particular you are seeking, the manufacturer has a program specifically for hotels that provides them with high powered connectors that charge at twice the speed of normal connectors. The only issue is that it will only work for Teslas (which are by far the majority of EVs out there). If you'd like to be put in touch with the appropriate people at Tesla Motors Corp, let me know.

Ron

Daniel,
(which are by far the majority of EVs out there)

Not trying to get OT here, but we aren't the majority of EVs in the US right now. Nissan Leafs continue to be the top selling EV.
Nissan Leaf #2 Spots In US Electric Car Sales | CleanTechnica

However, you are correct in that more Tesla Model S drivers can take roadtrips since our Model S can go 265 miles vs. the Nissan Leaf at 84 miles before needing a recharge. So, yes, we probably constitute the majority of EVs that can actually take a road trip and need to charge at a hotel.