Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston Area - Electricity Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the average car consumes almost as much power as the average house this free nights and weekends deals can be gamed by EV owners. Even more so by people who have two EVs at home.

For example if you have 2 EVs and are on a free nights and weekends. Your annual consumption for your house and 2 cars might be 10,000 KWH and 20,000 KWH respectively. Say you get onto a 3 year fixed rate of 9 cents per KWH with free nights and weekends. If you charge your cars exclusively on nights and weekends (would need two chargers) you would effectively bring your average price down to 3 cents per KWH.

IMO suppliers will eventually wise up and make changes to their plans if too many exploit this giant loophole. On the other hand power is plentiful at night so you are doing the grid a favor by consuming all that free power. But until then you are foolish not to take advantage.

In the future we will shift power with all these batteries on wheels by charging at night and discharging during peak times. That will be fun and for a another conversation.

Interesting idea. Checked my own usage before and after the model 3 and don’t think it would work for me. On average. 200 to 300 more kWh used per month so that’s only 10 to 20% of my electricity use. (10 min commute) My understanding is those plans would charge a lot more for the other 80% of my use.

Reactions: Dana1
Interesting idea. Checked my own usage before and after the model 3 and don’t think it would work for me. On average. 200 to 300 more kWh used per month so that’s only 10 to 20% of my electricity use. (10 min commute) My understanding is those plans would charge a lot more for the other 80% of my use.
Agreed. I’m not sure anyone in Texas uses the same energy for their car as they do home AC, lol. I switched to Griddy this March, will see how that does. Rate has been below my previous fixed plan and definitely below the new rate I’d have had to have gotten.

I’m trying out the TXU “Solar Days, Free Nights” plan for a year. The rates are higher during the day, for sure, but it averages out to $0.10/kWhr (including transmission fees). For Feb-May, about half of my usage was at night (~200 kWhr per month to the car). I’m seeing essentially no energy cost increase over last year (pre-Tesla), so I’m literally driving for free.

That will all change when the AC kicks in. I didn’t have enough info of night/day usage from last year to do the calcs, so we’ll just see what happens.

There are two nice factors - it’s all green (solar credits day, wind credits night) and the cost will be independent of how much I drive (as long as I charge between 9 pm and 6 am).

Edit; Here’s what I’m seeing;
Dec: Old Plan, No Tesla
Jan: Old Plan, With Tesla
Feb, Mar: New Plan, With Tesla
3CC9D8DF-0BBB-414A-A59A-3E43F4EB196B.jpeg

F0152701-632D-4E74-B292-AB41BA1631C0.jpeg

Last edited:
MP2 Energy has a great Tesla charging plan.

MP2 Energy EV Free Charging

Free charging hours are from Midnight - 3AM. Usually enough to cover a daily commute. We average 400-500kwh of charging a month. Last few bills have averaged between 7.8-8.3 cents kw/h after the free hours. While these are term plans (24 month or 60 month), there is no early termination fee so you can switch away whenever you want. I chose 60 months just incase prices go up. If they trend down in a year or two, just switch away. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway and found out about the plan in the Houston Tesla FB Group. Happy to share my recent bills if anyone needs to take a look to see if it's worth it for your usage, just PM me.

Note: You need your VIN to sign up.

MP2 Energy has a great Tesla charging plan.

MP2 Energy EV Free Charging

Free charging hours are from Midnight - 3AM. Usually enough to cover a daily commute. We average 400-500kwh of charging a month. Last few bills have averaged between 7.8-8.3 cents kw/h after the free hours. While these are term plans (24 month or 60 month), there is no early termination fee so you can switch away whenever you want. I chose 60 months just incase prices go up. If they trend down in a year or two, just switch away. I'm not affiliated with them in anyway and found out about the plan in the Houston Tesla FB Group. Happy to share my recent bills if anyone needs to take a look to see if it's worth it for your usage, just PM me.

Note: You need your VIN to sign up.

So if I read the rate right, it's 5.6¢/kWh with Midnight to 3am free + TDU charges.
Midnight to 3am is 12.5% of the 24hr period and they calculate the energy rate
10¢/kWh for 500kwh
9.6¢/kWh for 1,000kWh
9.5¢/kWh for 2,000kWh
figuring 15% of your consumption between midnight and 3am.

I'm on a flat all inclusive rate of 9¢/kWh.
I can charge whenever I want.

Not the entire HOU area, only Centerpoint - my TNMP home is not eligible.

That said, I've done well with my Green Mountain free nights (8 pm - 6 am completely free, including TDU) plan; since February, I have only paid for 3250 of the 13000 kWh used.

Fox - What is your average rate? Total $ divided by total kWh?

Best deal I ever found was a one year contract for $28 per month if you did not exceed 1,000 kWh. I think it was $128 from 1,000 to 2,000 kWh but I never got over 1,000.
I'm really tight about electricity use.

Wow, so little coverage the fusion reaction from the Sun, just eight light minutes away . . . .

We got our SolarCity PV system in 2013, and our first of seven Model S's then too.

For the last 12 months we spent UNDER $22 TOTAL in electricity, despite two Model S's in the garage. (That's TOTAL, not per month. In other words, under $2/month.) We are able to do this because we use MP2 Energy which pays us 100 cents on the dollar for all the kWh we push back to the grid.

When we added up what we were spending on gasoline and electricity, our PV system paid for itself in about 16 months. (If it had cost TWICE as much, it would have taken 32 months.) After those 16 months, it's been almost $6k added to our bank account every single year in avoided spending.

This is what is a called a "no brainer" decision, especially as a side benefit is that we help leave a usable planet behind. That's pretty important, no?

Tesla has recently reduced the prices of PV systems across the board; go to our referral site (or your own, if you're already a Tesla owner) and just click on "Energy" and select "Texas."

www.ts.la/mark7179

Or:

Free Supercharger Miles

When we added up what we were spending on gasoline and electricity, our PV system paid for itself in about 16 months. (If it had cost TWICE as much, it would have taken 32 months.) After those 16 months, it's been almost $6k added to our bank account every single year in avoided spending.

Are you saying your system cost $8k ($6k x 1.333) and offsets effectively all of your energy use on a normal sized home in Texas? I'd love to believe that's true but I've never seen anything close to that capacity for a price like that. Details on system size, typical home consumption, etc?