Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston, Texas - Model Y Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just asked them. I googled summer tires. I see it’s best for The H. But I always buy all season. Idk.
Pirelli's summer tires are great. You don't need all seasons in Texas, especially in Houston area. My previous car had Pirelli P Zero, I bought summer tires on purpose and it was so much softer and quieter compared to all seasons. Also, steering is better on summer tires. BUT, Pirelli are pretty soft, so looking at the amount of torque you have, be ready to replace them after 10-12K. Rear tires first. And you can't make rotation on MYP.

Reactions: Jones1
Pirelli's summer tires are great. You don't need all seasons in Texas, especially in Houston area. My previous car had Pirelli P Zero, I bought summer tires on purpose and it was so much softer and quieter compared to all seasons. Also, steering is better on summer tires. BUT, Pirelli are pretty soft, so looking at the amount of torque you have, be ready to replace them after 10-12K. Rear tires first. And you can't make rotation on MYP.
Thanks

They want me to make payment today. 🤔. Down payment. They told me to do it As soon as possible.
I just asked them. I googled summer tires. I see it’s best for The H. But I always buy all season. Idk.
You do not want summer tires. Lets hope your SA was wrong and you get the same tires that my F413 came with. (Michelin All-Season).
My SA told me that my car was going to have summer tires but then I called Tesla and they confirmed they were All-Season. (you cant trust those SAs).

I have had summer tires on vehicles and they are a pain in the rear. You will be lucky to get 10k-14k miles out of them and they cannot handle the cold weather.

I recently read a post on a local Tesla Facebook group in Austin from some guy who has done 10,000 miles in his Model 3 Performance and could not believe he needed new tires. He had never had summer tires before.

I had an Audi TT with summer tires and they had to be replaced at 14,000 miles. I could not believe it as I was not thrashing the car.
My 2018 Camaro 1SS with the 1LE track package had huge 305 summer tires. When the temp dropped below 50F the grip disappeared.
Cold weather also damages the summer tires.

Tesla say "Performance tires (summer applications) have reduced traction in ambient temperatures below 40° F (5° C), and are not recommended in snow/ice conditions. Performance tires can temporarily harden when cold, causing you to hear rotational noise for the first few miles (kilometers) until the tires warm up."

Houston, like Austin, is hotter than the sun in the summer. But we still get below freezing days where I live. I am sure you get the same.

Others will recommend "you just need a second set of wheels/tires". Blah. If you live in Canada or the East coast then yeah, I get that. You probably do.

But down here in the South, we should not have to buy an additional set of wheels/tires.

I suspect you will get all-season. Most deliveries recently have been All-Season.

As someone who lives in Texas and has had summer tires, you absolutely do need all-seasons.
Replacing tires at 10-12k is crazy at $400+ per tire.
I've had sedan and truck tires last 40-50k.
We have many mornings where the temp is below freezing or in the 30s. Summer tires don't like anything below 40F. In my experience they do not like anything below 50-55F.

"

Driving in Low Temperatures​

Tire performance is reduced in low ambient temperatures, resulting in reduced grip and an increased susceptibility to damage from impacts. Performance tires (summer applications) have reduced traction in ambient temperatures below 40° F (5° C), and are not recommended in snow/ice conditions. Performance tires can temporarily harden when cold, causing you to hear rotational noise for the first few miles (kilometers) until the tires warm up.
"

You do not want summer tires. Lets hope your SA was wrong and you get the same tires that my F413 came with. (Michelin All-Season).
My SA told me that my car was going to have summer tires but then I called Tesla and they confirmed they were All-Season. (you cant trust those SAs).

I have had summer tires on vehicles and they are a pain in the rear. You will be lucky to get 10k-14k miles out of them and they cannot handle the cold weather.

I recently read a post on a local Tesla Facebook group in Austin from some guy who has done 10,000 miles in his Model 3 Performance and could not believe he needed new tires. He had never had summer tires before.

I had an Audi TT with summer tires and they had to be replaced at 14,000 miles. I could not believe it as I was not thrashing the car.
My 2018 Camaro 1SS with the 1LE track package had huge 305 summer tires. When the temp dropped below 50F the grip disappeared.
Cold weather also damages the summer tires.

Tesla say "Performance tires (summer applications) have reduced traction in ambient temperatures below 40° F (5° C), and are not recommended in snow/ice conditions. Performance tires can temporarily harden when cold, causing you to hear rotational noise for the first few miles (kilometers) until the tires warm up."

Houston, like Austin, is hotter than the sun in the summer. But we still get below freezing days where I live. I am sure you get the same.

Others will recommend "you just need a second set of wheels/tires". Blah. If you live in Canada or the East coast then yeah, I get that. You probably do.

But down here in the South, we should not have to buy an additional set of wheels/tires.

I suspect you will get all-season. Most deliveries recently have been All-Season.
Thanks. I hope they are all season. I’m use to that type.

Reactions: carpendj
We have many mornings where the temp is below freezing or in the 30s. Summer tires don't like anything below 40F. In my experience they do not like anything below 50-55F.

Yeah, I agree with you. Summer tires "don't like it" but it's not that you can't drive or it's very slipery. You still can pretty safely drive, just be cautious. Unless you have icy/snowy weather in this case it's no no for summer tires. But other than that... it's fine. We here in Texas don't have many of those super cold days in a year, but we have A LOT of hot days when all seasons become less responsive to steering because rubber compound becomes too soft. Also, all-season tires are noisier compared to summer tires.

Reactions: carpendj
I just checked all of my vehicle tires. They are all listed as All Season Tires. Being in Texas. I’m going to have to switch to all season. When they start to wear down. Since the MYP is staggered. I’ll probably change the rear first. Move them to the front. Then replace the rear. I want to go wider than the stock tires anyway. Probably 295 21 on the rear. It’s mostly Hot until it’s Hurricane or Ice Storm season. 😂

I just checked all of my vehicle tires. They are all listed as All Season Tires. Being in Texas. I’m going to have to switch to all season. When they start to wear down. Since the MYP is staggered. I’ll probably change the rear first. Move them to the front. Then replace the rear. I want to go wider than the stock tires anyway. Probably 295 21 on the rear. It’s mostly Hot until it’s Hurricane or Ice Storm season. 😂
You can't rotate tires on MYP. Rear tires, so as the rims are wider than front tires.

Reactions: AlbertVanK
I have found a thread. That has MYP owners that have confirmed. They can put the rear 275 35R 21 tires on the front wheels. This is good to know. Because I will do this when it is time to get new tires. I will buy 2 new tires for the rear only. Probably 295 35R 21. Or a 40R 21 that will fit the rear. Then replace the front tires later with 265 40R 21. I believe that fits the front wheels.

Reactions: ILMMYP
Speaking of garages - here's my setup in waiting. EDD still 5/19 to 6/2 with no vin :(
6F70F6E4-2EB9-46A3-8BC7-FAEAB36E398E.jpeg