Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished a trip to Fort Worth and used the Denton SuperCharger. Interesting crossroads--saw a Model S from Ontario and California. For my trip it worked out because I was staying in Fort Worth, but went to Little Elm after that. Drove up 35 to Denton, charged for an hour, went to Little Elm and another stop in north Dallas, and then had more than enough juice to return to Corsicana. By the way, the Collin Street Bakery now has a 'lounge' with a TV and four comfy chairs you can use as you charge at the Corsicana SuperCharger. Also, they let you get hot chocolate in addition to the other free drinks for showing your Tesla key. Nice!

Wow, you guys are a great help! I'm glad I ordered the chademo adaptor. That should guarantee success. I'll also check out those hotels - nothing beats overnight charging for convenience.

I was thinking though - I wonder what will happen to eVgo when even the cheapest ev's have 200+ mile ranges and there is very little need for chargers outside the home? Or will they be on top of the world with the only vast network? Interesting times...

A couple of other Tesla items on my list - has anyone tried the LTE upgrade? How about the TPMS upgrade? We love our 2012 P85 and have no intention of getting a newer one anytime soon.

Wow, you guys are a great help! I'm glad I ordered the chademo adaptor. That should guarantee success. I'll also check out those hotels - nothing beats overnight charging for convenience.

I was thinking though - I wonder what will happen to eVgo when even the cheapest ev's have 200+ mile ranges and there is very little need for chargers outside the home? Or will they be on top of the world with the only vast network? Interesting times...

A couple of other Tesla items on my list - has anyone tried the LTE upgrade? How about the TPMS upgrade? We love our 2012 P85 and have no intention of getting a newer one anytime soon.
I have the LTE upgrade and think it's reasonable value. One member on TMC has gotten the TPMS upgrade, but I felt it was expensive. I have Fobo tire monitors and that's good enough for me.

I have the LTE upgrade and think it's reasonable value. One member on TMC has gotten the TPMS upgrade, but I felt it was expensive. I have Fobo tire monitors and that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the info. From reading these forums I figured the LTE was either a thumbs up or down. Sounds like its an up.
I need to check on the cost of the TPMS upgrade, but I can't stand not knowing my tire pressures. Also, I have an issue right now where I'm getting erroneous "Tire pressure too low..." warnings, even though they all check out fine.

I don't have LTE or TPMS upgrade.

I drive around remote areas where my cell phone does not show 4G LTE signal and most of the time 3G works just fine for me.

Use hand held Tire pressure monitor to check air pressure never had any problem.

I guess it depends on whether you actually need those extra convenient features...if you live in Metropolitan area then definitely 4G LTE is a must

Future Tesla? I love it!
image.jpeg

Tricia Wade took delivery of her beautiful Signature Red Model X today and has graciously agreed to let local owners see it this Saturday (Jan 9th) at Champps Uptown Park. For those that haven't experienced a Model X in person yet, this will be a good opportunity since there are only 8 in Houston so far! Come to ogle the vehicle and stay for lunch. Hope to see you there!

Model X Sig.jpg

Where: Champps Uptown Park
Address: 1121 Uptown Park Boulevard, Houston, TX 77056
When: Jan 9th 2016 11am - 12:30pm

URL: http://www.champps.com/locations/houston/

Last edited:
A former student of my wife was doing an article on self-driving cars so, of course, she told the guy he should contact me about my Tesla to talk about its autopilot feature. I met the guy, drove him around Houston, and here are the results: a nice YouTube video and articles in OffCite magazine and the Houston Chronicle. Here are the links:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...ng-Tesla-cruising-down-Westheimer-6782607.php

http://offcite.org/the-future-now-self-driving-cars-in-houston/

https://youtu.be/tRzwnuSxcPo

I will be moving from Switzerland to Houston in a few months. My Tesla 85D is for sale and I hope to buy a new one in Houston.
Interesting is to see that cars in general are cheaper in the US, petrol is almost 4 times more expensive in Europe but the same 85D ...is 2000 USD more expensive in the US.
If correct and I have to add 8% Texas tax the difference is even bigger.

I love my 85D and as early access beta tester I loved to help improving the car but it become more difficult to justify the costs....

Pedro

I will be moving from Switzerland to Houston in a few months. My Tesla 85D is for sale and I hope to buy a new one in Houston.
Interesting is to see that cars in general are cheaper in the US, petrol is almost 4 times more expensive in Europe but the same 85D ...is 2000 USD more expensive in the US.
If correct and I have to add 8% Texas tax the difference is even bigger.

I love my 85D and as early access beta tester I loved to help improving the car but it become more difficult to justify the costs....

Pedro
The Texas sales tax on cars is 6.25%, so there's a small savings. There's also a $7500 Federal EV tax credit that most of us are eligible for. I'd at least look at CPO vehicles.

It seems my celebrity status is growing! The author of the Cite Magazine article offered to pass my name on to Doug Miller, Senior Reporter for KHOU, so he could air a story on self-driving cars. I went along with it and got to drive around the west side of Houston with Doug and a cameraman for about 90 minutes to get footage for the story. It was fun!

I just got an email from Doug today saying the story should air tonight at 10pm (I guess I don't quite rate prim-time.) and should be available on the KHOU website the next day. I hope I don't look like an idiot...

Nice! I just told my Mac mini DVR to record it. I can make an extract available if KHOU doesn't put it on their site.
Thanks for the offer, but the story is on the KHOU site already. It turned out pretty good! However, I don't seem to have made the point that Teslas can, indeed, change lanes by themselves. Also, can any Tesla really go 200 MPH? I thought the Model S topped out at 155. Oh well, whatever. It was still a very nice news piece, especially because I was in it. :)
http://www.khou.com/media/cinematic/video/80271164/self-driving-cars-to-change-houstons-commute/

Thanks for the offer, but the story is on the KHOU site already. It turned out pretty good! However, I don't seem to have made the point that Teslas can, indeed, change lanes by themselves. Also, can any Tesla really go 200 MPH? I thought the Model S topped out at 155. Oh well, whatever. It was still a very nice news piece, especially because I was in it. :)
http://www.khou.com/media/cinematic/video/80271164/self-driving-cars-to-change-houstons-commute/

Nice story - thx Steve!