Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How about a DashCam option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished the installation of the Blackvue 550 front and rear cameras wired into the power source in the mic area (earlier vin vehicle). I found the advice on these installs was really difficult to consolidate being on a few different threads here and at the Tesla Forum. Eventually I pieced it together and have the following observations:

I went to Radio Shack but they didn't have any 5X20mm inline fuse holders. Instead, I just used the one that comes on the Blackvue power cord. Since it is a long cable, I chose to cut it out and reattach the end that plugs into the camera by soldering and insulating with heat shrink tubing. I probably could have just left the cable long, cut off the cigarette lighter end only and stuffed the excess under the headliner.
For the end that hooks into the power supply, I followed PattyChuck's post on page 2 opened the black connector and just layed the wires down on the contacts. I found it was a little difficult to close the connector all the way so I reinforced with electrical tape once I shut the connector to keep it from popping open.
I generally followed Chuck Lusin's technique on page 9 of this post for feeding the wire from back camera forward. It worked well but there is a lot of excess wire that is a little tough to get all tucked away at the end. I ended up running some into the A post and the rest under the head liner as he described. Overall, a fun project and I am happy with the result. Thank you to those who have already posted there techniques!

Windscreen reflections can be reduced a bit by adding a polarizing filter, my next project :)

I'm interested in how the polarizer project turns out.

I was thinking of trying that too after I install the DR500GW-HD. While the reflection don't effect the main purpose of the dashcam, which it crash recording, it's still bugs me a little every time I look at the videos (when it was installed in the Volt)

Has anyone try connecting the Dashcam to the ODB-II connector for power?

I was thinking of using something like these: 100cm OBD2 OBD II 16 Pin Male to Female Extension Cable 1M Car Diagnostic Cable | eBay , then cut off the female end and connect the dash cam (pin4 if chassis ground, pin 5 is signal ground, pin 16 is battery Voltage).

If you can access the wires behind the OBD2 connector, and the individual wires are separate (not bundled into a cable), you could use a vampire connector available at auto parts stores. I'm not sure what these are technically called, but they're really easy to use, and I've done this on the OBD2 connector of a different car.

If you can access the wires behind the OBD2 connector, and the individual wires are separate (not bundled into a cable), you could use a vampire connector available at auto parts stores. I'm not sure what these are technically called, but they're really easy to use, and I've done this on the OBD2 connector of a different car.

I think I'm going to go with the connector cable. That way nothing is modified on the car itself. I would not want to damage any of the wiring by splicing into it. Probably overly paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

About to pull the trigger on the BlackVue 550 dual cam. Noted there was a camera heating problem with the 500 model but reportedly that has been addressed in this new version. I do have Photosync on the entire car including front windshield so hopefully that will help. For those of you who have already installed, especially in warm climates, any issue? Any feedback would be appreciated before I order...thanks

im using this right now, it has a 140 degree cam and it works great

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-1080P-2-7-Car-DVR-Vehicle-Camera-Recorder-Dash-Cam-G-sensor-HDMI-GS8000-/380780663903?pt=US_Surveillance_Digital_Video_Recorders_Cards&hash=item58a84bd45f

Has anyone try connecting the Dashcam to the ODB-II connector for power?

I was thinking of using something like these: 100cm OBD2 OBD II 16 Pin Male to Female Extension Cable 1M Car Diagnostic Cable | eBay , then cut off the female end and connect the dash cam (pin4 if chassis ground, pin 5 is signal ground, pin 16 is battery Voltage).

I did exactly this and posted the results here:

Yet another hardwired Dashcam install -- 100% reversible/no splicing/no tapping

I should have bought the kind of cable you posted. Instead I got a OBD ribbon cable which was a bit more delicate that I would have preferred. I may switch it out next time I'm in the mood to tinker around.

Fuse number?

Thanks guys for the explanations.

Still looking for the car fuse number if anyone knows it.

...so am I.

If anyone, has a fuse number that ties to the spare 12v connector behind the microphone cover, I would love to learn what it is. In the meantime, I continue trial-and-error, but at least one of the empty fuse sockets seem to be loose -- as if there are no metal connectors on the inside. Hope that't not the one.

Used all the great tips to do the installation, but have not been able to get the spare 12v connector to go live.

And what's the logic of the Model S having no spare fuses?

Thanks guys for the explanations.

Still looking for the car fuse number if anyone knows it.

...so am I.

If anyone, has a fuse number that ties to the spare 12v connector behind the microphone cover, I would love to learn what it is. In the meantime, I continue trial-and-error, but at least one of the empty fuse sockets seem to be loose -- as if there are no metal connectors on the inside. Hope that't not the one.

Used all the great tips to do the installation, but have not been able to get the spare 12v connector to go live.

And what's the logic of the Model S having no spare fuses?

I did the install a few months ago... I just went out and looked which fuse I replaced then (for the spare wire behind the microphone grill).

It is in fuse box #2 (the one on the left), and it was fuse number 50.

Fuse2.JPG