Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How About a "Maximum Plaid" Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

At the Sparks GigaFactory Celebration, Elon was clear that a second generation performance Roadster is now on the far back burner ("no good business case" was essentially what was said). There were a number of "us" in the crowd that cried and shouted in despair with that announcement.

NOW, how about offering a SUPER high performance version of the Model 3 with ...."Maximum Plaid" power? This would be a MOST EASY option to offer and it could be priced another $ X,000 above the already proposed "Ludicrous" version with perhaps some additional SPECIAL DRAMATIC colors (another $ X,000 further OPTION) giving those of us who lust for such performance something to motivate us to give our $$$$$$ to Tesla .

My only niggle with my Model S P85D with Ludicrous is that it is TOO BIG for any of my needs, so the smaller package of the Model 3 and the full sedan format is PERFECT for what I would actually use AND the "Maximum Plaid" would fulfill ALL my childhood performance dreams now more or less met by the P85DL vehicle format.

I would just love 0-60 mph in a 5 passenger sedan at 2.5 seconds or so and LOW, repeat LOW 10 seconds in the quarter mile.

BRING IT ON ELON!

I think it will depend on what customers want - you can easily get to a fast 0-60 time if that's what you want. But if you want a track ready car that can operate at maximum for 30 minutes, there will be a lot of changes needed. The most obvious is cooling, because there are plenty of videos on Youtube where I've seen Model S owners do a 1/4 mile run and then have to provide time for the car to cool the batteries down.

I don't think the Model 3 will satisfy those who want "track ready performance," but if it's just a quick 0-60, then I wouldn't be surprised.

But if you want a track ready car that can operate at maximum for 30 minutes, there will be a lot of changes needed. The most obvious is cooling, because there are plenty of videos on Youtube where I've seen Model S owners do a 1/4 mile run and then have to provide time for the car to cool the batteries down.
Yes, there will be some changes needed on the Model S. But to date the only Model 3 I have heard about with a temperature problem is the red mock-up at the GF that "melted" in the heat ;)

So we do not know yet if those cooling changes is already incorporated in the Model 3.

The M3 is not a boutique car like the S or X, it is going to be a maximum volume production car. Anything that slows down production will get the axe unless they do a special production run years down the line, in which case the new roadster may already be out. I expect Tesla will offer the dual motor on the M3, along with a ludicrous option after ramp up but that's it.

At the Sparks GigaFactory Celebration, Elon was clear that a second generation performance Roadster is now on the far back burner ("no good business case" was essentially what was said). There were a number of "us" in the crowd that cried and shouted in despair with that announcement.

NOW, how about offering a SUPER high performance version of the Model 3 with ...."Maximum Plaid" power? This would be a MOST EASY option to offer and it could be priced another $ X,000 above the already proposed "Ludicrous" version with perhaps some additional SPECIAL DRAMATIC colors (another $ X,000 further OPTION) giving those of us who lust for such performance something to motivate us to give our $$$$$$ to Tesla .

My only niggle with my Model S P85D with Ludicrous is that it is TOO BIG for any of my needs, so the smaller package of the Model 3 and the full sedan format is PERFECT for what I would actually use AND the "Maximum Plaid" would fulfill ALL my childhood performance dreams now more or less met by the P85DL vehicle format.

I would just love 0-60 mph in a 5 passenger sedan at 2.5 seconds or so and LOW, repeat LOW 10 seconds in the quarter mile.

BRING IT ON ELON!

I like your idea. Much like the BMW M3 is considered superior to the bigger and heavier BMW M5. I think there lots of folks who want the speed/power without the size of the MS.

But I bet weight will be similar given the steel/aluminum M3
This is not true. The engineers have mentioned trying to achieve a 20% weight reduction.

According to Teslarati they estimate about 21% (about 957lbs) of the Model S weight is due to aluminum. Steel weighs 10-40% more than aluminum. During the unveil engineers refused to say what percentage of steel would be used or what kind. Let's say they use a steel that's 10% heavier than aluminum, the model 3 is a smaller car, and the battery holds more energy/lb. The model 3 will easily be a lighter car even with steel.