Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Can I Politely Decline Speaking To Strangers About My Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting, because while there are a couple Teslas in my area, there aren’t a ton, and I’ve never been approached. In 5 months of driving it, I’ve only ever gotten two excited reactions from other drivers. I’m actually kinda bummed.

Yeah this was cool at first but after two years, I'm really tired of it. It seems to be more frequent in rural areas. I live in suburb of DC and I've had two people literally block my driveway and walk up to ask me questions while I was washing it. One dude in Utah put his arms on my door and stuck his head in while I was Supercharging. That's where the line was and I told him to go away. Otherwise, it's the same 5 questions...

Does this use gas?
How long does it take to charge?
How far can you go on a full charge?
Have you ever run out of battery/charge?
How much does it cost to charge?

Point of the story, rehearse a quick response to each question, then pretend to have a conference call you need to join.

If someone blocked me into a parking spot or charge station, I would feel very threatened. Is reasonable person who is curious, I would think, would not do that. I also have an MX-5 Miata, and get questions about it from time to time. But no one has ever cut me off just to ask a question about the car.

I'm usually happy to talk to people, but sometimes it's just possible or I don't feel like talking. I just say, "Any other time I would, but right now isn't a good time." Then I suggest tesla.com or one of the other forum sites. I've been considering printing out a short FAQ with my answers and a list of resources to learn more.

Sorry, I read through before replying and forgot that you'd said they'd block you in sometimes. If they do that, I would say something along the lines of, "I won't talk to anyone who's forced me to stay," and then tell them that you're getting in your car and if they don't let you out in a few minutes you'll call the police. If they try to get between you and your car, make a lot of noise and call immediately. I don't believe Teslas have a panic button, but I think they really should.

Tesla doesn’t advertise - as such there is no brand persona portrayed by the company as with other car makers. So, Tesla relies upon us owners to create that. Do you want people to perceive Tesla owners as friendly, smart and likable or as uneducated a-holes? I prefer the former and am happy to talk to people interested in the car. I am in the Northeast, so if I see 2 or 3 in a day that is rare. So, my Model 3 here is an anomaly and generates a lot of interest. Those who ask are typically uninformed and have inaccurate perceptions of what it is like to own and e car. I happy to give them some education and generate interest. That being said, if you feel uncomfortable as portrayed by the young female who posted, you need to feel safe first. If you are truly ready to leave you can politely say that you have to go; if you are going to be sitting there, why not talk? If they are parked behind your car making you feel unsafe, as them to park their car in a space first, and then you would be happy to answer a couple questions. In all the suggestions received, I think the easiest one to use is that it is your significant others car and you don’t know much but love driving it. That limits a bunch of questions hopefully and isn’t rude.

Reactions: linkster
Yesterday I had a man that wanted to talk Tesla. Was happy to talk, but when it was time for me to go, it was like, I’m getting in my car, both legs outside of the door, one leg in, conversation continues, second leg in conversation continues, window down, conversation continues, window up conversation continues. I had to run him over...sad.:D

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
I’m a young female Tesla owner and I am constantly stopped in public to talk about anything Tesla related. At first it was fine, but it has greatly escalated. People have blocked in a parking spot/charging spot with their cars and approaching my window, where I would have no way to exit the situation. I respect that the new technology is exciting, but I don’t feel as if it’s fair to put me in uncomfortable/unsafe situations just to make a couple comments. How can I politely turn down these interactions?[/QUOTE

well if you were in LA vs LA South, that would not happen, and you are polite, so it will continue to happen, but you can have a card saying you are mute and refer them to YouTube

I’m a young female Tesla owner and I am constantly stopped in public to talk about anything Tesla related. At first it was fine, but it has greatly escalated. People have blocked in a parking spot/charging spot with their cars and approaching my window, where I would have no way to exit the situation. I respect that the new technology is exciting, but I don’t feel as if it’s fair to put me in uncomfortable/unsafe situations just to make a couple comments. How can I politely turn down these interactions?
Same way you’d turn down conversation from anyone talking to you you don’t want to talk to.

Never gave it much thought most likely because I’m a male and don’t have the fear that some creep will come on to me. I speak about my car with strangers all the time and even give them rides. We do live in a world where there are a many dangerous people and precautions should be taken when someone blocks you in without an escape route. Never truly know why they are blocking you in then coming over to your car. Wish Tesla would have surveillance cameras or better lighting at their SC’s for situations like that. There was a woman on this site a while back that use to get out of her car when charging at night and hide nearby incase someone came to her car when no one was around at the SC.

I’m a young female Tesla owner and I am constantly stopped in public to talk about anything Tesla related. At first it was fine, but it has greatly escalated. People have blocked in a parking spot/charging spot with their cars and approaching my window, where I would have no way to exit the situation. I respect that the new technology is exciting, but I don’t feel as if it’s fair to put me in uncomfortable/unsafe situations just to make a couple comments. How can I politely turn down these interactions?
AirPods!

A) Don't discount the gender thing. I raced cars, when I was a kid, and car guys all go a bit nuts about women who like cars. (Never understood about women who said they couldn't meet men. Take up car racing, or competitive shooting, or cigar smoking and there's 20, fairly successful, educated men for every woman.)

B) Blocking-in should be a major red flag. I know it's been said on here, but it bears repeating. (I'm a 6'4" former college jock, who is armed, so long as I am wearing pants, and it would rattle me - and its how an attempted car jacking started years ago.)

C) Nothing wrong with carrying, so long as your trust yourself to be armed. If you do, and need instruction, see if there's a "Girl with a Gun" chapter nearby. Or, talk to LSU's shooting team, to see if they do outreach, etc. (Most schools' do.) Lots of resources there, really.

D) Perhaps there should be a way to over-ride the charger disabling the car... I realize its a needed safety issue, but a gasoline car car drive away with a filler nozzle in-place, if needed.

Reactions: linkster
Status
Not open for further replies.