Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How close was your Tesla Energy quote to actual cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep hearing Tesla's Quote would not be what I would be paying since they use a standard cost structure. I was told (by other companies of course) they may look cheaper, but actually they are not. I received the 2 Powerwall quote as below, should I expect a different number in the future?

upload_2020-12-8_15-42-2.png

Cost as quoted...

On day of install, i asked for them to run the conduit between the inverter and array through the attic instead of external along the roof. They called, got approval, and told me it would be an additional ~$500.

Then the crew lead went up in the attic and was surprised how much room and easy access it was, and didn't charge me anything extra. :cool:

I think he realized it was easier than the original plan.

We ended up needing a MPU which the city during permitting tagged (bus wasn’t 225A) and we wanted our Inverter placed all the way on the other side of our double car garage which ran us extra for materials but otherwise what was quoted was exact.

I should add the following however. We took advantage of the multiple PW discounted pricing during the spring/summer to add an extra PW prior to install. Pricing on PWs went up afterwards before our install. When the solar panels were reduced in price and higher wattage ones were announced, they not only gave us a check back after PTO for the difference in cost to match the lower cost panels but installed the newer higher wattage panels. Oh and they kept our multiple PW discount despite it having been discontinued by that time, with PWs having gone up in price. We also got to keep our January order incentive for being in a PG&E fire area (utility maps changed over time and we were no longer in the more fire prone area although we did have a PSPS in 10/2019) and we got to keep our initial solar and PW bundle offered at the beginning of the year. So despite having our contract revised due to adding a PW and later for the solar panel price decrease, our pricing kept getting better and our equipment did too.

Got lucky when the white GW2s became available and received that too at no additional cost. We asked if we could get a price match on the solar panel price drop and were told they were already in the process of updating contracts and were updating spec’d equipment too. Think they were doing it for everybody. We never had to ask about any of our other discounts, they just kept them in place. In fact when the solar panels were reduced, because of our previous bundling they said if we keep the pricing the same as your old pricing we can give you a check back for the difference so you can keep the solar/PW bundle discount you had. Otherwise they would have to update to the newer higher pricing on the PWs and it would cost us more. Sounded great to us and a few weeks after PTO did get the difference back in a check.

Before install we did add pest abatement screening for an additional charge but again that was an addition we elected to purchase from them and glad we could get it done at time of install. Very pleased with our system and the price we paid and how Tesla handled all the changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oceanwolf
Mine is exact other than the additional panel upgades I needed. I ended up needing (1) a new main panel, (2) about 150 feet of new conduit to the new sub-panel, and (3) a new "main" sub-panel. I call it the "main" sub-panel because all of the loads and circuit breakers are on it, and it will be a 16.32, 3 powerwall whole home back up.

Tesla ended up getting two subcontractors to bid on the upgrades, and the price was great. Fixed in advance of install.

You will see many complaints on here, but compared to the upcharges in a standard construction project Tesla is fantastic.

We Just had our 2 Powerwalls installed by Tesla on November 30, 2020
Total is $18,093.75
2 x Powerwall $13,000 Backup gateway $1,100 Installation service $2,500 Multi-Powerwall installation $0 Main panel upgrade $0 Trenching $0 Hidden conduit $0 Mounting pad $0 Additional charges $0 Permitting fees $500.00 Taxes $1,092.75 Sub-total $18,192.75 Credit for order payment -$99 Purchase Price $18,093.75

Reactions: Oceanwolf
Exact to the penny and they didn't charge me extra for the in attic conduit install so no conduits are showing.

The 3 powerwalls were quoted at $19,500 + backup gateway $1000 + install $2500 or $23K before taxes and before the solar bundling discount.

With the discount, the 3 poweralls installed were $20,500 before taxes.

Took them 6 weeks to send me an invoice with me pestering them once a week or so to send me the bill. I paid with credit card which knocked 1% off the total.

Also, there was state sales taxes on the PWs but not solar. The PW tax was $1916.11 on the $23000 *before* the $2500 bundling discount.

Total on the PWs with taxes and after the $2500 discount was 22416.11. Take 26% off after that and you have 16587.92.

The 26% can't be claimed if you're not pairing them with solar. So if I did a 3 PW only install, the cost would have been $24,916.11 which is a whopping $8328.19 difference between getting them with solar and not.