Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How confident do you feel about the sales of Model Y?

How will Model Y Sales fare in the long term?

• What Elon said. Model Y sales will exceed sales of combo of Model S, X, and 3

Votes: 76 60.8%
  • Model Y will exceed the sales of Model 3 but not combo of all S,X,3

Votes: 35 28.0%
  • Model 3 will exceed the sales of Model Y

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Model S will exceed the sales of Model Y

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Model X will exceed the sales of Model Y

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do think it will outsell the Model 3. But honestly how practical is that 3rd row of seating? I watched MKBHD’s impression video and he commented about how tiny it is back there. So I’m not convinced that the additional seating will be a huge selling point. Of course the added cargo space will be a factor and since consumers are in this weird crossover SUV phase, I think the Model Y will be able to capitalize on that. As for people who prefer a sportier car, the Model 3 is car to get.

• Helpful
Reactions: mattjs33 and Brando
Ahem... most of the world ain’t driving to ski resorts.
It seems to me that the larger Model X would be more desirable to such families. The main issue is price.

Tesla does need to address its service issues, but you lost me on the Ferrari repair cost comparison. If anything, Tesla's out-of-warranty repair costs have come down over the years.

Replacing your motorized door handle when it fails (and it seems they do) will cost you @$900. Point is, a giant, rapid influx of people new to Tesla are going to experience repair and service sticker and wait time shock, and parts are not readily available from Rock Auto for DIY garage repairs.

Still good for families, and certainly better than the rear facing seats in our Model S!

People keep saying good for families but it’s making me think they don’t have families. A car seat won’t fit back there while allowing any normal sized person or another car seat to fit in the 2nd row. The third row also seems to come at the expense of any storage in the rear when in use.

And yes, car seats are used at least until 5 years old but increasingly until 9 or even later. And from the photos and videos shared thus far, it doesn’t look like you’re going to be putting any teenagers in that third row.

Never mind the pain in the ass of getting children in and out of the third row

• Helpful
Reactions: mattjs33 and Brando
It’s the equivalent of the Subaru Impreza. Which the 3 should have covered.
If Tesla were to offer AWD as an option on the Model 3 SR and SR+, that would capture more Subaru customers. Our Model 3 with AWD is great in winter conditions. But today's Long Range AWD Model 3 is still on the pricy side with a base price of $47K.

People keep saying good for families but it’s making me think they don’t have families. A car seat won’t fit back there while allowing any normal sized person or another car seat to fit in the 2nd row. The third row also seems to come at the expense of any storage in the rear when in use.
Well, I do have a family, though I don't like to share details about my family members in public forums. The Model Y is clearly too small for an entire family of six or seven to use on trips or with gear. But for a family of four or five picking up a couple of extra kids on the way to church or a game, it'd be great. That it even offers seating for up to seven was a very pleasant surprise for us.

I hope that Tesla eventually releases a larger SUV that's less expensive than the Model X. But I wasn't expecting that of the Model Y.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Some people were very disappointed in the presentation last night. The show and reaction were exactly what I expected. The drama of the Model 3 reveal in 2016 will never be duplicated. It was a lifetime event.

That said, the Model Y is exactly what Tesla needs to offer and it will clearly become their best seller. It's an SUV version of the Model 3 and the specs are a grand slam.

People need to lay their emotions aside and understand Tesla is morphing into a mature company.

Here is another thing that will disappoint emotions: The upcoming Model S interior refresh (whenever it happens).

What is very underrated IMO is the Tesla semi. It will be revolutionary.

Well, I do have a family, though I don't like to share details about my family members in public forums. The Model Y is clearly too small for an entire family of six or seven to use on trips or with gear. But for a family of four or five picking up a couple of extra kids on the way to church or a game, it'd be great. That it even offers seating for up to seven was a very pleasant surprise for us.

I hope that Tesla eventually releases a larger SUV that's less expensive than the Model X. But I wasn't expecting that of the Model Y.

The 3rd row seats looks like they have enough room to fit 2 people that are 5'10 or shorter. Probably the same amount of space as you would get in an economy airplane seat with a seat pitch of 28 inches?

The true game changer will come with a CUV that is $20-30k. Look around at the next parking lot you find yourself in and add up which types of car you see. Luxury sedans and CUVs/SUV? Definitely a handful. Small sedans/coupes? Also a handful. Non-luxury crossovers and SUVs (Escape, RAV4, Crosstrek)? Almost a majority of any parking lot where I live. And usually can be had for under $30k.The main sticking point remains battery affordability. You think it's hard profiting on a $35k compact electric sedan? The battery alone would make up the entire cost of a $20k car.

Some people were very disappointed in the presentation last night. The show and reaction were exactly what I expected. The drama of the Model 3 reveal in 2016 will never be duplicated. It was a lifetime event.

That said, the Model Y is exactly what Tesla needs to offer and it will clearly become their best seller. It's an SUV version of the Model 3 and the specs are a grand slam.

People need to lay their emotions aside and understand Tesla is morphing into a mature company.

Here is another thing that will disappoint emotions: The upcoming Model S interior refresh (whenever it happens).

What is very underrated IMO is the Tesla semi. It will be revolutionary.
My wife, who is most definitely NOT a Tesla fan, just told me the Model Y looks way better than the Model 3 and she wants me to trade in my 3 for a Y.

Last night was not for us Tesla fans. It was to expand the brand to people like my wife, who was truly impressed.

Slightly cheaper, slightly quicker, and slightly more range is not what sells cars at this level. Hatchback, storage, optional seating for a couple of extra kids... that's what sells. Take a look at what the most popular family vehicles in the United States are. They aren't sedans with trunks.

Personally, I prefer my 3. But this will outsell my 3 by a lot.

I think people who buy the 3 like the sleek low-drag efficiency. I just wish the 3 came with the hatchback, given the S and X do, and now the Y. I don't think it would have compromised the design - putting a join behind the rear headrests of the 3. It's really dissapointing as a European it doesn't. That is overwhelmingly the most popular design of car here. And there's 350m Europeans. More than there are Americans. Most popular cars in the UK are all hatchbacks. Probably all the top 10. eg. no.1 Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Astra, Prius, the crossovers - all hatchback. The bigger ones sometimes have a split hatchback with a bit that folds down - but still a hatchback.
Like someone else said - they could have done this before they did the 3. Then there wouldn't be such a gap in price between the 3 and the SX. It'd given them 2 more years to get the prices down to $35k which Tesla is obviously struggling with now. Am a bit concerned for the 3 that the tripple combination of Porsche,Audi, etc. bringing out 260mile range cars, the ending of the 7500 grant and the mass production of the 3 is killing demand for the S and X since the new year. Hence the 30% crashing of the International prices (not just Taiwan, China where the protests there got the bad press).

They use the S and X as having a hatchback and 2 screens over the 3 as a sales advantage. The Y at least is a hatchback.
Steve Jobs famously said (when he released the iphone that cannibalised the popularity of the ipod mp3 and video player) if you don't cannibalise your own products, someone else will. I think people wanting an electric, and wanting a hatchback (myself I think) will buy something else, they won't buy a S or X, and won't wait 2 years for a Y. I've said it elsewhere but with 260-300 mile range Kona's and Kia's coming to Europe at least with a hatchback (as well as an instrument cluster, heated seats+steering wheel, etc) for £33-38k (<$40k) Tesla will have competition. The Kia ENiro is not much different in size and utility to a Y.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Last night was not for us Tesla fans. It was to expand the brand to people like my wife, who was truly impressed.

EXACTLY RIGHT!

This is the vehicle that my wife would accept. The Model X is too much money. The Y is priced comparably to what we drive now, and offers the feature/function we're used to, with the command view of the road.

The S/X are "aspirational" vehicles. The 3/Y are within reach for huge swaths of the population.

I guess it's maybe a Northeast thing, but the midsize lux SUV market is just tremendous here. More MDX's and QX50's and RX350's and X3's and SRX/XT5's and such on the road than anything else it seems. That's the big play here.. way moreso than the sedans.

For every BMW 3-series you see, there's got to be three X3's. Maybe it's an East Coast thing, but sedans are dead-man-walking.

The more I think about it, the more I have a feeling that the Model Y may move to production much sooner than stated...... If I had to bet, I think Tesla/Elon realized that Model 3 sales were not going to see sustained growth no matter what.... there just isn't the market for sedans anymore. They made a decision to tone down the Model Y, share as much as possible with the 3, and establish higher prices with greater margins.

I really think that as soon as Model 3 sales flat line or decline.... and I suspect they will... possibly this year. That Tesla announces they are switching over assembly lines to produce Model Ys. There is zero reason to wait for Fall 2020, other than assembly capacity. But if Model 3 sales go down, capacity becomes available.

The more I think about it, the more I have a feeling that the Model Y may move to production much sooner than stated...... If I had to bet, I think Tesla/Elon realized that Model 3 sales were not going to see sustained growth no matter what.... there just isn't the market for sedans anymore. They made a decision to tone down the Model Y, share as much as possible with the 3, and establish higher prices with greater margins.

I really think that as soon as Model 3 sales flat line or decline.... and I suspect they will... possibly this year. That Tesla announces they are switching over assembly lines to produce Model Ys. There is zero reason to wait for Fall 2020, other than assembly capacity. But if Model 3 sales go down, capacity becomes available.

I agree with this 100%. The only reason to delay production is capacity. China Gigafactory needs to come online; that'll help a ton. Until then, Fremont and GF are going to be balls-to-the-wall building Model 3's... Once that workload can shift off, they can work on the Y.

So if Model 3 demand drops, Model Y comes earlier. It's not an 18-24 month design wait - just a throughput problem.

Reactions: mattjs33
This thing is going to crush the market.

I drive a Cadillac XT5; my wife drives a Buick Enclave.

The Enclave is cavernous - seats 7. Cargo room is 23.6 ft/2 with the 3rd row up; 58 ft/2 with the 3rd row down, and a massive 97.6 ft/2 with both the 2nd and 3rd row seats down.

The XT5 is smaller - seats 5. 30 ft/2 of cargo room with the 2nd row up; 63 ft/2 with the seat down.

The Model Y seats either 5 or 7 - no specs yet on cargo room with the 2nd row up; but with it down, it's 66 ft/2. More than the XT5, but not as big as the Enclave (obviously.). Still lots of room though.

Enclave Avenir AWD w/ tech package (adaptive cruise etc) is ~$55k + taxes/fees.
XT5 Platinum AWD is ~$63k + taxes/fees.
Model Y, customized the way I'd want it to replace my XT5 - Pearl White, AWD, Long Range, 5 seats, Autopilot + FSD: $61k + no sales tax (NJ.)

We could, honestly, replace BOTH the Enclave and XT5 with Model Ys. We'd lose a bit of cargo on the Enclave, but it's really not that critical.

The midsize Lux SUV market won't know what hit it. You can run similar exercises with the RX350, MDX, Q7, X5, XC90 etc. Very competitive with all of them.

THIS is the market Tesla will win with. The Model 3 really competes with the performance/lux sedan market. The midsize family SUV market though? That's where the cheese is. Look around at your local Costco and see what you see ..... Tesla's going to make a killing - they just have to execute the Y well.

You correctly pointed out the advantages of the Y compared to your 2 current vehicles. What remains to be seen is how Tesla will take care of QC of the Y, because if service center issues persist, that will be a major hurdle for Tesla to overcome to gain public acceptance.