Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Dashcam Saved Me Thousands of Dollars & Headache(partly)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where that assumption comes from. Though I would expect that a dash cam owner would only use the footage if it were to the advantage. I have one and most certainly would.
It comes from the fact that in most cases it takes at least 2 drivers to cause an accident, and likely one of them is at fault.

And your statement that as a dash cam owner you will definitely only provide your video footage showing who was at fault if it favors you supports my assumption. Thank you.

@ecarfan: "And your statement that as a dash cam owner you will definitely only provide your video footage showing who was at fault if it favors you supports my assumption. Thank you."

However, I do admit when it is my fault. I simply would not show footage to prove it. I am fortunate enough to say that the last time I had an accident that was my fault was in 1981. I hope to continue that trend. Yes. I am old.

I really do understand your point.

Reactions: javawolfpack
Hi. I am about to buy the Blackvue
DR650GW-2CH

Is it easy to use out of the box? Also, should I get the power magic pro with it?

It can be a pain in the behind to route some of the wires if you install if yourself, though it's definitely doable. The camera works fine out of the box and I haven't had any difficulty with that. The other thread I posted was about finding a way to download the files over wifi (thus without taking the card out of the camera). It was a convenience that I wanted, but it may be more trouble than its worth to setup if you're not familiar with UNIX/Dos/command prompts. Otherwise it comes with a card reader you USB into your computer.

You don't need power magic pro in the Tesla.

It can be a pain in the behind to route some of the wires if you install if yourself, though it's definitely doable. The camera works fine out of the box and I haven't had any difficulty with that. The other thread I posted was about finding a way to download the files over wifi (thus without taking the card out of the camera). It was a convenience that I wanted, but it may be more trouble than its worth to setup if you're not familiar with UNIX/Dos/command prompts. Otherwise it comes with a card reader you USB into your computer.

You don't need power magic pro in the Tesla.

Thanks! Do you just have it connected to to USB? I really want to motion detection when parked feature active.

@The A List
I would suggest any major format of the SD card would require use of the USB adapter(provided in box) to computer. But for normal use the SD card just inserts into the dash cam and records 24/7 while in motion & if motion is detected while in parking mode. I feel that the default sensitivity for parking mode is good enough, but you can definitely adjust to your liking. Hope this helps!

The benefit of the power magic pro is parking mode- auto recording when parked. Unless there is available power when off?

It isn't needed if you use an unswitched power source. There are several available depending on when your Model S was made. A quick search of other threads can help you locate them. The easiest one to use for most people is the extra connector in the mic area above the console. There is also a nice article on Teslarati which shows how to use the ODBII port

I think the motion sensitivity on parking mode is way too high. In 8 hours of sitting in a parking lot, the camera recorded for like 7.5 hours of it mostly based off either cars on the street 40+ feet away or waving leaves 15 feet away. This was on the lowest possible sensitivity. I'm going to probably switch to G-sensors only. Seeing how sensitive it is, a gust of wind will probably start it.

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
@Magus
Unlike ICE vehicles, the Model S has a DC-to-DC converter which charges the 12V as needed from the traction pack. You will NOT discharge the 12V even if your Blackvue runs 24/7 for a week while your S is parked. No need for the Power magic. Do however review your Parking Mode settings in your Blackvue to adjust the Motion Sensing way down and also set the 3-axis G force settings appropriately -quoted TSLAholic

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
For reference the Blackvue 650-2ch consumes only 4.8W max with wifi on (spec). As stated above, no need for the Power Magic if dashcam is connected to a constant 12V source, you have many kW-hrs of power in your main battery. Agree with comments about parking mode (visual) motion-sensing being way too sensitive, turn it all the way down

I'm confused, I use the android app to download videos over wifi (peer to peer) all the time and it works perfectly.

Here's why I have a 2-channel dashcam... this BMW swerved into my lane and hit my left front fender.

Without video, there was no way to see who hit who.

Strangely, when I pulled over to assess the damage, there wasn't even a scratch or any dents I could find. NOTHING. Which is good, because the other driver refused to pull over. I did snap a few clear pics of his license plate just in case the video didn't capture it.

So no damage, no insurance claim. If there was any damage, I would have called the police and turned over the video.

Thankfully this was not in my Model S (Don't take delivery for another week or 2) but I have had dash cams in all my cars for about a year now.

- Me hitting a boulder in the road that, since I was moving insurance didn't want to pay as a comprehensive claim. Once they saw the video though they determined that it was not avoidable and they paid.

That incident alone paid for both the dash cam in this camry along with the one I just bought for the MS.

Strangely, when I pulled over to assess the damage, there wasn't even a scratch or any dents I could find. NOTHING. Which is good, because the other driver refused to pull over. I did snap a few clear pics of his license plate just in case the video didn't capture it.

So no damage, no insurance claim. If there was any damage, I would have called the police and turned over the video.
That's hit and run regardless. You should do it just because he didn't pull over even if you didn't see any damage. Can't reward bad behavior. Just watched it. Without sound you can't tell if the guy just got close and you swerved away.

That's hit and run regardless. You should do it just because he didn't pull over even if you didn't see any damage. Can't reward bad behavior. Just watched it. Without sound you can't tell if the guy just got close and you swerved away.

I know, somehow the sound got turned off inadvertently, but he definitely hit me! You can see the car jolt, I didn't see it coming until he actually hit. This happened in February in Georgia and I don't remember where he plates were from, NC I think. I was on a tight schedule back home, and since there wasn't any damage or injury, I didn't want to waste one to two hours making a full police report.