Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did it end up naming P3D in this forum?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The nomenclature can’t be compared to S X as Tesla doesn’t release battery size as you state above ...personally I have a hard time saying M3 as a former BMW owner of one it doesn’t seem correct ..my two cents
I’d argue they do tell us how to label the battery size.

Long Range = more kWh
Standard Range = less kWh

Therefore...

M3 SR
M3 SRD
M3 LR
M3 LRD
M3 PLRD or M3 P (if LRD is assumed).

It also doesn’t make sense to say P3D since the car is not a Performance, it is a Model 3 Performance. We don’t say a Chevrolet Z06 Corvette. It’s a Chevrolet Corvette Z06.

Make, Model, Trim

All performance 3's are dual motor. But not all dual motor 3's are performance. So putting both the P and the D in a performance 3 name is redundant redundant.

I vote for 3P75 for performance models, and either 3D or 3D75 for AWD cars.

It's not "official" that it's a 75 KW battery, but we all know it is. we figured it out, as well as having seen the service screens on the display.

My 3 has its "Model 3" trunk lid emblems from RPM Tesla, and a "75" from ebay. The way it ought to be.

0E73C2DB-78B7-4FC7-9C86-0466BBBDE9D3.jpeg
I am still confused why you call it rice. Why Rice?

Back in the 80’s when cars were designed for fuel economy, there wasn’t many powerful cars to choose from. People started adding aesthetics to their cars to make them appear fast like giant spoilers and mufflers that looked like coffee cans with all sound but no power. This was VERY popular with Honda’s and Toyota’s. People would go as far as adding racing stickers to their cars to make others think something special was done to the car. The car companies caught on and started added their own stickers and badges like ‘Type R’ or ‘V-TEC’.

Since owners of Honda and Toyota cars primarily did this, people started calling these fake upgraded cars RICE BURNERS and the people who drove them RICERS.

Now you know.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MXWing and P85_DA
Back in the 80’s when cars were designed for fuel economy, there wasn’t many powerful cars to choose from. People started adding aesthetics to their cars to make them appear fast like giant spoilers and mufflers that looked like coffee cans with all sound but no power. This was VERY popular with Honda’s and Toyota’s. People would go as far as adding racing stickers to their cars to make others think something special was done to the car. The car companies caught on and started added their own stickers and badges like ‘Type R’ or ‘V-TEC’.

Since owners of Honda and Toyota cars primarily did this, people started calling these fake upgraded cars RICE and the people who drove them RICERS.

Now you know.

I thought that nonsense only started after the original "The Fast and the Furious" came out, in 2001.

15246EB8-FADA-4B01-AE38-8D4BFB622F71.jpeg
I thought that nonsense only started after the original "The Fast and the Furious" came out, in 2001.

I wish. This was happening 20 years before that. When ‘The Fast and the Furious’ came out, some car companies actually made some fast rice burners that could go fast and were legit. That’s called ‘Factory Rice’.

Even Harley Davidson jumped on the bandwagon to make fun of rice.

Last edited:
All performance 3's are dual motor. But not all dual motor 3's are performance. So putting both the P and the D in a performance 3 name is redundant redundant.

I vote for 3P75 for performance models, and either 3D or 3D75 for AWD cars.

It's not "official" that it's a 75 KW battery, but we all know it is. we figured it out, as well as having seen the service screens on the display.

My 3 has its "Model 3" trunk lid emblems from RPM Tesla, and a "75" from ebay. The way it ought to be.

Uhhh... what about this?
djBVfN5.jpg

I'd guess the options are really
Model 3 SR & SRD
Model 3 LR & LRD
Model 3 PLRD

But those are pretty rubbish looking acronyms and very confusing compared to other car manufacturers who use L, SE etc for trim levels, S or R for sporty ones, and D for diesels.

It'd be a lot clearer using the battery capacities for the various 3 models and then at least you could be consistent to the other models' formats.

Although it could go the other way with the refresh. Tesla might drop capacities for the refresh S leaving us with just range options.

Hmm would that mean looking at the various model S battery options over time, that you'd rename them to XXSR (40) XSR (60), SR (70), SRX (75), LR (85), LRX (90), XLR (100) :p

Adding in variants you'd have
AWD 60 as XSRD
AWD 70 as SRD
AWD 75 as SRXD
AWD 85 as LRD
RWD Perf 85 as PLR
RWD Perf+ 85 as PLR+
AWD Perf 85 as PLRD
AWD Perf+ 85 as PLRD+
Ludicrous 85 as LLRD
AWD 90 as LRXD
AWD Perf 90 as PLRXD
Ludicrous 90 as LLRXD
AWD 100 as XLRD
Ludicrous 100 as LXLRD

I look forward to the SpaceX Ludicrous+ 120 as XLULRD+

In all seriousness though, I suggest Model | Short/Long Range | Drive/Performance

Model 3 variants would be:

S, SD; L, LD, LP

Model S variants would be:
(up to 75kwh) S, SD; (over 85kwh) L, LD, LP, LP+, LL

Model X variants would be:
(up to 75kwh) SD; (over 90kwh) LD, LP

Last edited:
In all seriousness though, I suggest Model | Short/Long Range | Drive/Performance

Model 3 variants would be:

3S, 3SD; 3L, 3LD, 3LP

Model S variants would be:
(up to 75kwh) SS, SSD; (over 85kwh) SL, SLD, SLP, SLP+, SLL

Model X variants would be:
(up to 75kwh) XSD; (over 90kwh) XLD, XLP

Lol I doubt Tesla is going to rebrand several Hundred thousand S X s out there ...this thread is about model 3 ...

I meant going forwards with the refreshes, Tesla might choose to scrap the battery capacity numbers. So you'd end up with simple letters like the Model 3.

Putting the P or L at the end and dropping the superfluous D for the Performance and Ludicrous models also makes sense; and you end up with monikers that work across the whole range (and save money on badges).

Model 3 S
Model S LD
Model X LP

It's easy at a glance to see the bracket your car is in.

I can't disagree with this point more. I've driven both.

Driven both as in driven

Model 3 Performance with 5K package
Model 3 Performsnxe without 5K package

You are saying the 5K package has better acceleration despite heavier wheels?

Your response here tells me you didn’t read into what I was saying. I’m not comparing P and none P Model 3. I’m comparing the 5K package.

Its a combination of everything that is different between the 2 cars.

In my opinion....the main difference is the difference in the performance motor which makes performance 0-60 come in at under 3.5.

Reactions: P85_DA
Driven both as in driven

Model 3 Performance with 5K package
Model 3 Performsnxe without 5K package

You are saying the 5K package has better acceleration despite heavier wheels?

Your response here tells me you didn’t read into what I was saying. I’m not comparing P and none P Model 3. I’m comparing the 5K package.

...Rice man ...does wonders ....;)

Reactions: MXWing
You got it right. @Garlan Garner was confused. And @MXWing just hates the $5K add-on due to lack of perceived value :) A point that most will have to agree-to-disagree, methinks.

Still waiting on an explanation on what the 5K package does for “performance”.

I’m about to throw an Eddie Bauer Edition badge on my 3P+. Probably helps with 0-60 more than that spoiler as it weighs less.

Last edited: