Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did you buy your Tesla?

How did you pay for your MS?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget about risk! Why would anybody lend you money at 1.99% if they could get more elsewhere (where you will return more)? Don't blame you for financing. Just don't know where these high return low risk investments are. :)
Just my S&P index fund is bordering 18% as of today. That's pretty low risk IMO!

To the OP—20% down rest financed at 1.74% over 78 months. Practically free money, and so many more things to do with that 80%. Personally, I'd have to be filthy rich before I started relieving myself of that kind of cash when rates are so low. Which speaking of, dat fed hike.... :eek:

Last edited:
Don't forget about risk! Why would anybody lend you money at 1.99% if they could get more elsewhere (where you will return more)? Don't blame you for financing. Just don't know where these high return low risk investments are. :)
Long term tax-free muni bonds. If you can't beat 1.99% with very low risk you're not really trying.

The other reason I financed when I was capable of paying cash was to get GAP insurance. I'd rather someone else carry the risk
of the car being totaled after a month than me.

Reactions: Mickie
it just makes life easier and less complicated to not have to worry about payments.
With Alliant you get a rate discount if you set up a savings account with them and you can then set up to auto-pay the loan payments
from that. I then set up my brokerage account to auto-transfer one year's worth of payments to that savings account once a year. No
"worrying" involved at this point.

Long term tax-free muni bonds. If you can't beat 1.99% with very low risk you're not really trying.

The other reason I financed when I was capable of paying cash was to get GAP insurance. I'd rather someone else carry the risk
of the car being totaled after a month than me.

I never thought of that and it's not a bad idea. However, gap insurance is priced so they make money. So it the long run, the consumers that choose to do this are losing out.

But seriously, with another $40k - $100k, we can buy a rental here in the Phoenix area that will net $900 - $1200 per month, or about 7-8% annual return...and that's the plan (currently have 3 rentals).

This is the best plan as I see it if you are risk tolerant. Still, I would prefer to pay down the prior rentals and keep my current car, even if I have to borrow or mortgage at a point or two higher. I bought my Tesla with cash from my rentals. Even though I could afford to buy it prior, I looked at spending $100k on a car as a waste of money and against my long term goal, which was to retire young with a comfortable nest egg, It's nice to get the rentals paid off and producing income rather than borrowing money from one fast depreciating asset - the Tesla loan, to pay for an investment.

I'll pay anyone 3% interest on their money. $100k increments.

Hey Madoff, how are things in prison? JK- I'm sure @number12 is an honest and ethical person, but who in their right mind would arrange large loans, or even small ones, with private individuals? At least Bernie had a company incorporated and printed letterhead. ;)

Just my S&P index fund is bordering 18% as of today. That's pretty low risk IMO!

Wow, someone here was born after 2008/9. That makes you in your teens so you are perhaps excused for not knowing this. Even real estate is not safe. But there are certain places in real estate that look much better than the markets to me.

The nice thing about the markets and real estate is you can get in an out and in the latter you can write off capital improvements which will increase value, plus if you can do things like even minor renovations yourself you save even more increasing your return. It also taxes a 5 year term to get 2%. You're going to have to go 10 years to get 3 or more and that means you've tied up that money for a long time for a low rate.

So you don't like earning money? And if the sole goal is not to have a payment, gains be damned, why didn't you just cash all your investments to buy a car instead of taking a loan in the first place?
You're not in a position to define my risk tolerance or how I should utilize my own investments . The OP asked a simple question and I provide details a simple answer. No further explanation is due.

You're not in a position to define my risk tolerance or how I should utilize my own investments . The OP asked a simple question and I provide details a simple answer. No further explanation is due.
Not at all trying to assess risk. If your risk is getting higher, whether due to changing markets or you just want to limit your exposure by not re-investing the gains, then of course it makes sense to take the gains and invest them in guaranteed 1.49% by paying off the loan. I was just curious what the motivation was, investments getting riskier or too much exposure (too many eggs in one basket)?

I love, love, love SPY, but you probably would have made this same claim in January of 2000 or May of 2007. Compared to the life of a
typical car loan I wouldn't call the broad stock market "low risk".
You're absolutely right. But barring terrible crashes, it's not incredibly difficult to do better than 2% in the market. I probably should've elaborated more but I was just trying to convey one of the many items out there returning better than <2%, hence my wording, "Just my S&P blah blah blah...". Hell there're even checking accounts under the Kasasa program that yield a touch north of 2%, with the exception of a $15k cap on balances on each account.
Wow, someone here was born after 2008/9. That makes you in your teens so you are perhaps excused for not knowing this. Even real estate is not safe. But there are certain places in real estate that look much better than the markets to me.
Canuck. Hi :) Yes, I am a teenager born sometime after 2008/9. Alas, my photo.
tuff.jpe

And a few more, my wife taking the shots as I use AP on the way home from taking delivery.
ap1.jpe ap.jpe

I would be interested in how these responses split between S60s vs P100Ds. FWIW, I financed almost all of mine through Alliant for the 1.49%. Rates that low feel like free money. I feel like I keep a lot of money in my checking, but not buy a Tesla with cash type of money. Anything less than 3% fixed will always feel like "good" debt to me. I am also not worried about future debt to income checks so that probably has an impact.

Age probably also skews this. I am relatively young for a Tesla so I probably fall more high income/low wealth in comparison to others. Most of my wealth is in retirement accounts, home equity, and a 529 plan which all obviously aren't going to get tapped for a car. Everyone's finances and preferences are different, but in my situation financing was a given and it was just a matter of how much I would finance. I went on the high end because the rate was good.