Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did you buy your Tesla?

How did you pay for your MS?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need lots of responses to have a presumption about how TMC active posters finance, much less the broader community. I'll hazard a guess that maybe 40% of new Tesla buyers today probably pay cash, about the same percentage as for other cars of comparable price, but that will plummet when Model 3 arrives and/or used Tesla are considered.

Reactions: Manzacoty
I just put my deposit down today and will finalize the payment choice on Monday, but I'm leaning toward finance. It's too cheap at 1.99%, the $103,000 can bring a better return than 1.99%.

Don't forget about risk! Why would anybody lend you money at 1.99% if they could get more elsewhere (where you will return more)? Don't blame you for financing. Just don't know where these high return low risk investments are. :)

Don't forget about risk! Why would anybody lend you money at 1.99% if they could get more elsewhere (where you will return more)? Don't blame you for financing. Just don't know where these high return low risk investments are. :)

Real estate! :D

But seriously, with another $40k - $100k, we can buy a rental here in the Phoenix area that will net $900 - $1200 per month, or about 7-8% annual return...and that's the plan (currently have 3 rentals). The rent money will pay the car payment, and it's still sitting there in the "bank" (and growing...knock on wood for no crashes) if ever needs to be liquidated unlike wrapped up in the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manzacoty
I'll pay anyone 3% interest on their money. $100k increments.

Better you than a Commerical real estate lender 4%+. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Since I took delivery a few weeks prior than my original plan (the car came in 3 weeks early), I went ahead and used Tesla's financing (90% at 1.75% rate). But, I indeeded the purchase to be a cash purchase, and will pay off the loan here in full by end of Dec.

I had full intention on financing with a big chunk down. Went over the numbers several times (what else to do while waiting) :) to decide on how much to put down and keep monthly reasonable. In the end after worrying about 2.0 coming out and having an "old" Tesla, a day before delivery I changed it to a lease. That was 4 months ago and I am happy I did. In 2019 I will purchase my next Tesla as a retiree and not worry about what I may miss. :)

Reactions: Archduke
We need lots of responses to have a presumption about how TMC active posters finance, much less the broader community. I'll hazard a guess that maybe 40% of new Tesla buyers today probably pay cash, about the same percentage as for other cars of comparable price, but that will plummet when Model 3 arrives and/or used Tesla are considered.

You're spot on. Currently at 36% paying cash.