Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I disable the noisemaker in my Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought this was a manufacturer's requirement to install (not maintain). And Consumer is not required to maintain.

I do agree that there should be an audible warning.... but maybe controllable as to the choice of sound, severity and location. (backing into garage and waking neighbors)

I thought procedure for removing plug, but replacing both ends with waterproof studs was 'interesting'.

Not a Lawyer.

Glad you resurrected this thread. Lately I have been wishing I HAD the noisemaker. I am tired of surprising people with my existence.
A better option would be something like a two stage horn: a regular one and one for pedestrians when you're navigating a parking lot or something similar at low speeds.
I do agree that there should be an audible warning.... but maybe controllable as to the choice of sound, severity and location.

Just reposting this for people who want a GPS and Bluetooth enabled (with a mobile app) Pedestrian Warning Sound (now shipping):

W.A.S.P Pedestrian Warning System

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I do agree that there should be an audible warning.... but maybe controllable as to the choice of sound, severity and location. (backing into garage and waking neighbors)

noise is needed since there is no 'engine noise' and exhaust that clues the zombies nearby that you are about to back out of your space,etc.

kids are glued to their damned phones. (dont get me started on that)

people in general don't pay attention.

I know people hate the 'unicorn noise' which is strange sounding and the zombies are still not used to hearing and reacting to it.

my suggestion, make the audible warning something like sounds that kids are conditioned to respond to, on their zombie devices. farcebook or twitler noises (I don't do either, but I have to assume there are alert noises with those services).

being serious, though - the noise is needed. the quietness of e-cars catches too many 'walkers' by surprise.

...and scrubbing blood and guts off my front or rear fender simply takes too much time and effort. best to not have to do that at all, in the first place.

those that marked my post 'disagree' - care to defend your quick button-push?

do you also enjoy speeding in residential areas?

same basic consideration for life and limb.

fact is: our cars are too quiet in mall parking lots (to cite one example) and I've personally come close to having people walk right in front of my currently moving car - due to its extreme low noise when backing out.

either you never experienced this or you just don't care if you hit someone.

I really do care.

believe me, I don't love 'car noises' of any kind' but hitting someone as they walk by you with their shopping cart - because they are too absorbed in what THEY are doing and your car makes no noise - that's a recipe for disaster.

this is entirely the reason why the noise is added to all new e-cars.

until people start to watch out more for these noiseless e-cars, that noise is needed.

if you disagree have the balls to say why, at least!

do you also enjoy speeding in residential areas?

same basic consideration for life and limb.

fact is: our cars are too quiet in mall parking lots (to cite one example) and I've personally come close to having people walk right in front of my currently moving car - due to its extreme low noise when backing out.

either you never experienced this or you just don't care if you hit someone.

I really do care.

believe me, I don't love 'car noises' of any kind' but hitting someone as they walk by you with their shopping cart - because they are too absorbed in what THEY are doing and your car makes no noise - that's a recipe for disaster.

this is entirely the reason why the noise is added to all new e-cars.

until people start to watch out more for these noiseless e-cars, that noise is needed.

if you disagree have the balls to say why, at least!

You really take this site wayyyy too seriously. The whole point of the disagree button is to indicate you disagree with something without having to take the time to post. You know, to minimize clutter. While I like your user name, how the hell did you find time to post over 1000 posts in 7 months?

Why do I disagree? My Tesla's tire noise is already louder than my BMW's engine noise. If you are moving so fast that you are sneaking up on people, then slow the hell down. These cars are not noiseless. This car is dramatically louder than my last car in almost every circumstance. I literally have to be driving 1 mph to make less noise, and if someone hits me at that speed because they didn't hear me coming... well...

People need to pay attention to their surroundings. Yes, I understand for people who are visually impaired, but they don't make ICE vehicles that are just as quiet make extra noise.

The people who made these laws are the same kinds of people who want to outlaw assault rifles, but then define them by characteristics like bayonet mounts.

First, as @Ejl80 said, no one needs to defend the click. If they bother you, then perhaps you shouldn't be posting on a message board.

I didn't click a disagree, but I thought your post came across as quite curmudgeonly. I kept waiting for you to tell the kids to get off your lawn. And your follow-up just emphasized that.

• Love
Reactions: Ejl80 and lUtriaNt
when a up/down vote click is made by someone and its obvious, people don't ask. I rarely ask.

but when I refer to what is known to be a safety issue and I get a 'no' reply - I am sincerely curious.

this is not TV. this is not passive - the forum concept. well, maybe it is to some. I prefer to actively take part in the threads and if someone takes an opposing view on something I consider obvious, I want to know why.

vendors are adding this noise not because they WANT to, but because its safety thing.

I've come close to hitting people as they walk past my car and I really prefer not to. this is why I 'like' my unicorn noise sound, for at least being there (not the sound itself; its rather bizarre sounding as most of us agree).

tire noise? that's funny. tire noise is certainly loud enough when you are driving - but at less than 2 mph when you are simply backing out of a spot? you cannot be serious that your argument for lack of back-up noise is 'my tires will alert any walkers nearby'. that's beyond stupid.

yes, I feel strongly about not killing the zombies walking oblivious to my car. and while that may sound 'curmudgeonly' - that's fine - but its also quite true that the phone generation is absolutely glued to their little screens and, like a duck who cannot seem to walk without their neck swaying back and forth, the phone people (boo!) can't seem to walk without constantly looking down at their self-amusement devices.

if people's eyes were UP and their ears were not fitted with little white plastic things - they'd be safer. but here we are and we need to find some way to avoid hitting them.

as for my tone in this thread, I don't really care - like I said, I've come close to hitting pedestrians and its so stupid that we need car noises on cars that are silent. I GET THAT. I truly do. but what do you suggest we do to avoid hitting people who walk behind you? you want me to honk the horn while I back out? that's almost what it will take - and that just substitutes one noise for another!

• Disagree
Why do I disagree? My Tesla's tire noise is already louder than my BMW's engine noise. If you are moving so fast that you are sneaking up on people, then slow the hell down. These cars are not noiseless.

I could just click 'disagree' but I want to really understand why you think that 'tire noise' is loud enough for people who wear friggin earbuds while walking in parking lots (!) to notice you backing out.

Loud pipes save lives

back in my bmw days, my modified e36 m3 had a dinan exhaust and there was never any doubt when that car was idling or in the process of backing up. when cars were 'obvious' even at a standstill, the backup noise was not needed.

as more cars get silent and the ICE engine goes the way of the dodo, we need to do two things: condition people to understand that they can't judge safety based on nearby car sounds; and we need an interim solution to keep people from being hit, during that 'learning time'.

50 years from now, we won't need the damned noise. I hope ;) but for this dangerous transition, we need a solution. to ignore it is impractical.

I would like to have more control over the sound. if the walkers behind me don't hear it at level -20db then I want to be able to click it up enough level to finally get their attention. I don't want to honk the horn, that goes too far; but something in between IS NEEDED.

Dare I suggest not driving in reverse when there are people behind the car?

not a complete enough solution. if you think about it, something that was there, before, in the total solution is not there now.

caution from the driver is a constant (lets say). but the two sceanarious: ice and non-ice differ only in sound.

even if the driver is 'very careful', as he starts to back out walkers can quickly get back in the way again. happens a lot in any public event.

I personally believe the people near you should have some 'heads up' that they are at risk.

by making a sound, both the driver has a 'dog in the fight' and so do the walkers nearby. they cannot say they were not warned. if they chose to block out their nearby audio awareness by wearing earbuds, well, you did all you could do, at least.

but if you clip the wires to the sound speaker, you've basically disabled a known safety mechanism. you have intentionally reduced the safety and if you do hit someone, I would have no sympathy for such a driver.

please don't cut the wires. someone's life may be saved. the noise is annoying but is it THAT annoying that a life is worth less?

• Disagree
I’d like to know how someone with earbuds would hear the UFO sounds. Now that’s magic.

so, by your reasoning, if the solution is not 100%, lets not bother?

I do want to have control over the sound. I don't think you should be able to turn it off, but you should be able to turn it UP. the point is to get attention of those nearby. if they see you and pause, great - that's the end desired effect. if they don't hear you, I want to step up the volume until they finally do.

this also makes sense in an ambient sounds environment. unless the car can detect the basic backround noise level of the environment, it may or MAY NOT be masked by nearby sounds. some construction nearyby may mask this sound. some parade with a band nearby, etc etc.

there is already a feature in some cars with active volume control to counter road noise while driving.

I would ask for the same kind of thing where the car noise is smart and not just a constant level. and I do believe its more needed at lower speeds than higher speeds. think about it: walkers can see a car IN MOTION but as you are trying to back out, you are still at zero and that's where you need the sound the most. after you get moving, it should be able to attenuate itself at some decay rate.

more research is needed. but to throw the baby out with the bathwater, I don't agree at all.

I wouldn't recommend cutting the wires. If the noise statistically reduces harm, we should do it.

"They cannot say they were not warned" though? Ew. It's our responsibility as drivers to avoid hitting people. Earbuds, deaf, drunk, sleeping, babies, whatever.

while I'm getting myself into hot water (lol), I'll also say that I think a visual indication is also warranted.

we added a 3rd tail light for stop lights. it helped. it was a good idea. it took years of study but we should all agree, its a good idea to give others MORE info about our intentions, not less.

we added (well, not tesla, sigh, but others) blinkers to side mirrors. again, time has shown that more info to surrounding drivers and pedestrians is a Good Thing(tm).

maybe there's a light (the 3rd tail light?) that changes color when in low-speed forward or reverse mode. maybe it blinks. maybe other ideas. my point is that we should try things and not immediately dismiss them because we 'have not done it that way before'.

super quiet cars are new to our society. we're so used to hearing cars, we incorporate that into our daily lives. if we don't hear a car, we assume its ok to walk near one. that's now a bad assumption as e-cars get more and more popular.

• Disagree
I wouldn't recommend cutting the wires. If the noise statistically reduces harm, we should do it.

"They cannot say they were not warned" though? Ew. It's our responsibility as drivers to avoid hitting people. Earbuds, deaf, drunk, sleeping, babies, whatever.
while I'm getting myself into hot water (lol), I'll also say that I think a visual indication is also warranted.

we added a 3rd tail light for stop lights. it helped. it was a good idea. it took years of study but we should all agree, its a good idea to give others MORE info about our intentions, not less.

we added (well, not tesla, sigh, but others) blinkers to side mirrors. again, time has shown that more info to surrounding drivers and pedestrians is a Good Thing(tm).

maybe there's a light (the 3rd tail light?) that changes color when in low-speed forward or reverse mode. maybe it blinks. maybe other ideas. my point is that we should try things and not immediately dismiss them because we 'have not done it that way before'.

super quiet cars are new to our society. we're so used to hearing cars, we incorporate that into our daily lives. if we don't hear a car, we assume its ok to walk near one. that's now a bad assumption as e-cars get more and more popular.

Hmm you are right. Cars should have reverse lights!