Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I disable the noisemaker in my Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@linux-works, I respectfully and completely disagree with your stance on noisemakers. Pedestrians have this false sense of security that is enabled by laws that gives pedestrians the right of way. You yourself have stated that people don’t pay attention. Too many pedestrians just don’t care when they cross the street or walk in a roadway. People need to feel their life is at risk every time they are walking on a road cause...guess what... it is! Last time I checked, an accident between a car and a pedestrian is usually worse for the pedestrian. Having grown up in a country where people will run you over has taught me to NEVER go on a roadway without stopping and looking first. I don’t care what the law says. Laws of physics is more important to me. (Slight tangent, I don’t even ride a bicycle on a roadway for the same reason; not wanting to get hit by a car. I’ll ride on a sidewalk and go around pedestrians.)

A noise maker does not take care of the root cause. Pedestrians NEED to pay attention to their surroundings. Pedestrians NEED to take responsibility for their actions. All too often I’ve seen kids and adults cross the street without even looking and expecting cars to stop or not making themselves properly visible [at night]. Not doing so is just asking for death.

One solution, IMO, is to change laws relating to pedestrians having the right of way and make it a shared responsibility; pedestrians need to be made liable for their actions/inactions. Were they in a designated cross walk? Was it their turn to cross? Did they have a signal to walk? Etc. If not, pedestrians are liable for an accident.

Another significant change would be at busy intersections. Currently, it is common to see lights setup where pedestrians walking parallel to traffic also have the right of way. This makes it difficult for cars that are turning; they need to wait for a gap in pedestrians before going. This is frustrating for drivers wanting to make a turn, frustrating for drivers behind cars that just want to go straight through an intersection, and unsafe for pedestrians. Instead, there should be a period in the light cycles that stops vehicle traffic in all directions and lets pedestrians cross.

We need solutions that take care of root causes, not symptoms. Now there are noise makers being added to cars. What’s next? External airbags for pedestrians? (FYI, they exist.)

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki and Ejl80
The car should detect pedestrians, and refuse to drive into them no matter how impatient/unaware/incompetent/self-important the driver is.

The driver should be able to make a polite excuse-me honk, to avoid unnecessary delays.

Whenever those situations come up where your right of way is more important than the pedestrian's safety, get out and handle it mano a mano. It's not necessary to use a car as a weapon for punishing unruly/stupid/deaf people.

Reactions: mcirish
Why not put the responsibility on the other end of this large stick?
Develop a phone App which will warn when something is about to enter your safe zone. "Safe Zone" being a distance around you that moves along with you and responds when that zone is 'invaded'.
This would warn of cars, bicycles, trucks... pretty much covers everything. And the zone warning expands based on the speed of the approaching object.
Plus the noise would only target the person and not everyone in the neighborhood.
"One" doesn't necessarily need be distracted because a car is moving on the opposite end of the intersection which has no way of hitting them.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and Ejl80
Yet another data point that makes me wonder at the "but it's too loud" folks: Went to charge up at a supercharger last night. As I was leaving, there was a pedestrian in the parking lot walking down the center of the long exit lane. No phone in hand, no earbuds that I could see. Just moseying along in his facemask mindhig his own business. He not only did not hear the noise or see the headlights backlighting him, but nearly jumped out of his skin as I move by once he finally went to one side of the road.

It's not too loud, and I sill would like a "KITT", "Coconuts", or "Jetsonmobile" option.

@linux-works, I respectfully and completely disagree with your stance on noisemakers. Pedestrians have this false sense of security that is enabled by laws that gives pedestrians the right of way. You yourself have stated that people don’t pay attention. Too many pedestrians just don’t care when they cross the street or walk in a roadway. People need to feel their life is at risk every time they are walking on a road cause...guess what... it is! Last time I checked, an accident between a car and a pedestrian is usually worse for the pedestrian. Having grown up in a country where people will run you over has taught me to NEVER go on a roadway without stopping and looking first. I don’t care what the law says. Laws of physics is more important to me. (Slight tangent, I don’t even ride a bicycle on a roadway for the same reason; not wanting to get hit by a car. I’ll ride on a sidewalk and go around pedestrians.)

A noise maker does not take care of the root cause. Pedestrians NEED to pay attention to their surroundings. Pedestrians NEED to take responsibility for their actions. All too often I’ve seen kids and adults cross the street without even looking and expecting cars to stop or not making themselves properly visible [at night]. Not doing so is just asking for death.

One solution, IMO, is to change laws relating to pedestrians having the right of way and make it a shared responsibility; pedestrians need to be made liable for their actions/inactions. Were they in a designated cross walk? Was it their turn to cross? Did they have a signal to walk? Etc. If not, pedestrians are liable for an accident.

Another significant change would be at busy intersections. Currently, it is common to see lights setup where pedestrians walking parallel to traffic also have the right of way. This makes it difficult for cars that are turning; they need to wait for a gap in pedestrians before going. This is frustrating for drivers wanting to make a turn, frustrating for drivers behind cars that just want to go straight through an intersection, and unsafe for pedestrians. Instead, there should be a period in the light cycles that stops vehicle traffic in all directions and lets pedestrians cross.

We need solutions that take care of root causes, not symptoms. Now there are noise makers being added to cars. What’s next? External airbags for pedestrians? (FYI, they exist.)

Are you suggesting that we be allowed to run over pedestrians that cross the street not using a crosswalk or traffic signal? Brave.
Make it so that someone breaks the rules, they have a chance to get killed. Anytime someone has a laps of judgment or forget to triple check they have a chance of getting killed. I like that dystopian society. You know what, kids. I hate them also. Why can't they be fully aware of their surroundings? When they ride their stupid little bikes in my neighborhood and not looking behind themselves all the time, I should be allow to run them over.

/s

and on the kid's gravestone, it will read:

"the driver that hit little johnny was right.
he was dead right. but johnny is still dead."

yeah, you are right. its the walker's job to keep themselves alive.

<sarc>in fact, I just honk once and floor it. they were warned. after the honk, its all on them.</sarc>

Reactions: drdumont
The one thing you can count on is Natural Selection doing its job. And it works 24/7. You can't find a better worker anywhere. The sound is there to help, but all the sound in the world isn't going to help those who make very poor choices in life. Like listening to loud music looking at their phone, moseying along the side of a busy street, not a care in the world.

and on the kid's gravestone, it will read:

"the driver that hit little johnny was right.
he was dead right. but johnny is still dead."

yeah, you are right. its the walker's job to keep themselves alive.

<sarc>in fact, I just honk once and floor it. they were warned. after the honk, its all on them.</sarc>
So you ask for people that disagree with you to state why they disagree with you, and you become sarcastic.

Where is that ‘ignore’ button.... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ejl80