Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I find a inexpensive electrician?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP you need to rephrase, a reliable electrician is a better option. I paid $4000 in rural Appalachia for a complex install with 4 outlets in two garages and a natural gas generator with automatic switch, of course I had to pay for the 22kW generator itself separately. No more power outages at our house.

Today I learned that there are people who spend 100k+ on a really safe car but don't spend 200 on a required permit (and safety inspection)

Wow
You just can't make this stuff up.
Yes go ahead and spend 100K and burn your house down to save $200.00 or $500.00 for that matter! Have uncle Jimmy that is half blind and knows about everything do it for free. The stuff I have seen from people who "know how to do it" absolutely baffles me!

This is coming from an Master electrician.

• Funny
Reactions: PAULL and ssq
Yes go ahead and spend 100K and burn your house down to save $200.00 or $500.00 for that matter! Have uncle Jimmy that is half blind and knows about everything do it for free. The stuff I have seen from people who "know how to do it" absolutely baffles me!

This is coming from an Master electrician.

The permitting process in my juradiction is a terrible process. When I got my Solar City Panel installed, it was a four month process to obtain a permit and deal with inspection before I turn the system on.

I didn't skip out on the permit because of cost but mostly because of convenience. Now with all of these posts, I may just follow the steps to obtain the permit but I am confident my electrician followed the code. He is contracted with Hilton as well. He used 2 gauge wiring, 100 amp breaker, etc....

Not sure what steps I should follow now, either I can trust my current setup and commercial grade sprinkler system or go with a permit

Permits do help. When my 200 amp panel was installed, the licensed electrician put a large conduit through the 2x4s. The city inspector had them add Simpson Stud Shoes ( HSS/SS ) to strengthen the studs after they were compromised by cutting the holes.

The better solution would have been to have the conduit exposed with no cuts to the wood.

Last edited:
The permitting process in my juradiction is a terrible process. When I got my Solar City Panel installed, it was a four month process to obtain a permit and deal with inspection before I turn the system on.

I didn't skip out on the permit because of cost but mostly because of convenience. Now with all of these posts, I may just follow the steps to obtain the permit but I am confident my electrician followed the code. He is contracted with Hilton as well. He used 2 gauge wiring, 100 amp breaker, etc....

Not sure what steps I should follow now, either I can trust my current setup and commercial grade sprinkler system or go with a permit

In my Jurisdiction any home owner can take a permit out without involving an electrician and they are allowed to do the work. BTW it is also illegal to do electrical work without a permit and anyone caught doing it and caught is fined.

Don't worry about the if the work is already done...just make sure its safe and an inspection just keeps any future electrical insurance issues away.

Most sprinkler systems are low voltage and do not require a permit as the transformer/timer just plugs in.

Today I learned that there are people who spend 100k+ on a really safe car but don't spend 200 on a required permit (and safety inspection)

Wow
You just can't make this stuff up.

I am pretty sure most electrical work like this is considered "over the counter" for a permit in most places and no inspection ever occurs. Obviously you do want a certified electrician to do the work though. I bet Tesla owners do need to be wary of "gouging the (apparently) rich guy" estimates.

For the electrical permit, do you or the electrician fills out the permit application for your city? Does the electrician take care of everything for you? I'm in Poway district and the city told me there's a $220 permit fee.

Please let me know what is the usual procedure.

Thanks.

For the electrical permit, do you or the electrician fills out the permit application for your city? Does the electrician take care of everything for you? I'm in Poway district and the city told me there's a $220 permit fee.

Please let me know what is the usual procedure.

Thanks.
You can fill up the permit yourself. I don't plan to do it but I will ask my electrician (are you going with the same guy we talked about?).

I advise anyone who wants a permit to pull the permit yourself (cheaper) and just pay for parts and labor for the install. Most permits range from $50-300 depending on your area. Most electricians charge $100-300 for their "time" to get the permit + the actual permit fees. It took me less than 10mins to get a permit in my area and it was $95, whereas the electrician wanted $300 to get the permit for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV and Mark Z
Seattle/Bellevue Area: My installation for NEMA 14-50 was reasonable in comparison. Newer home and running cable/conduit from one side (panel location) of three car garage clear across to the first garage spot.

50ft - 100amp cable (pre-wired for HPWC), conduit, 50amp breakers, 14-50 outlet and junction box = $625
Permit = $70
Total = $695.00