Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I know if I have next gen seats or not ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you order the next gen seats in the design studio? There are pictures of the next gen seats in the design studio currently, go compare / contrast what's in the picture with what is in your car...or am I missing something?

mgboyes - thanks for your reply. I think at the time when I used the online configurator (september 2014) those next gen seats were not even available. Or I don't recall ever having this option. I checked online and I defenitely have the old ones. Thanks for your help !

Look behind you and if you cant see out the rear window then you got them LOL

jk

old vs. new
?format=500w.jpg

put the rear seats down or use the rear facing camera. It never was a problem with me. You can still tell if a car is behind you.

Completely agree. Had the car delivered with standard seats, then 5 months later my next generation seats finally arrived. I could see no difference in visibility, never bothered me. Camera has excellent quality images with wide angle, better when backing up than any car I owned before. On regular driving you will easily see cars coming from behind on the central mirror.

I believe there have been 4 variants of seats.

Seat 1.0 - original style, fairly low rear headrests, secret storage pocket in the front of the seat cushion.
Seat 1.1 - original style with adjusted springs/cushions in the front to make them more comfortable and possibly also allow tall drivers to sit lower (rear seats and headrests unchanged)
Seat 1.5 - larger headrests in the rear, no front storage pockets anymore (this is what you get today if you order standard cloth or leather) and possibly other minor changes too
Seat 2.0 - next-gen seats with much taller bolsters, better padding, larger front headrests, etc etc. Originally available with a next-gen rear variant as well, but now only applies to the front (so if you order next-gen today you get Seat 2.0 in the front and Seat 1.5 in the rear)

Oh and there's also "executive rear seat" which replaces the rear versions of either Seat 1.5 or Seat 2.0 with a non-folding 2 seat variant with electric lumbar options, 2 zone heating and a centre console.

[the 1.0 / 1.1 / 1.5 / 2.0 labeling is mine - not anything official!]

I have 1.1 on my 2014 P85 and they're fine with perfectly acceptable rear visibility. I'll be getting a mix of 2.0 and 1.5 on my P85D in October.

The fact they dropped rear-seats-2.0 is a terrible shame IMO. They looked great (and in photos appear to fold just as flat as the earlier variants did).

- - - Updated - - -

mgboyes - thanks for your reply. I think at the time when I used the online configurator (september 2014) those next gen seats were not even available. Or I don't recall ever having this option. I checked online and I defenitely have the old ones. Thanks for your help !

Yes they were first released at the same time as the D models in November (and originally were only available on the P85D).

I believe there have been 4 variants of seats.

Seat 1.0 - original style, fairly low rear headrests, secret storage pocket in the front of the seat cushion.
Seat 1.1 - original style with adjusted springs/cushions in the front to make them more comfortable and possibly also allow tall drivers to sit lower (rear seats and headrests unchanged)
Seat 1.5 - larger headrests in the rear, no front storage pockets anymore (this is what you get today if you order standard cloth or leather) and possibly other minor changes too
Seat 2.0 - next-gen seats with much taller bolsters, better padding, larger front headrests, etc etc. Originally available with a next-gen rear variant as well, but now only applies to the front (so if you order next-gen today you get Seat 2.0 in the front and Seat 1.5 in the rear)
inactive thread, I know, but for the sake of those reading this, the 1.5 seats still retain the very-handy front pocket. At least mine have them.

Not to hijack this tread but. . .yeah the rear visibility in the car is pretty terrible for a huge sedan. Are long time owners getting used to it or does it continue to be an annoyance?
Wow, coming from a MB SUV I find the rear seats so much easier to see behind. Especially love how the center one is even lower. I hated having a person in the center of my SUV and then not putting the headrest back down. Always had to manually do that myself when no one was in the middle.

I sat in a car at the Tesla store about a month ago that had Standard black leather seats. My 2013 of course had the standard leather seats. When I first sat in the showroom car, I thought they had to be Next Gen seats because they were SOOOOOOO much more comfortable. Felt much softer and more supported. I asked the sales person and she said there had been no changes to the standard seats. My butt tells me otherwise. I went outside and got back into my 2013 and could immediately tell the difference. Not sure when the change was implemented, but the 2015 standard seats are absolutely superior to the 2013 standard seats.