Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do we navigate to multiple stops?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, two weeks?

Now, if you meant "how long are 14 Martian Solar days as expressed in Earth time?", that would be 14 days, 9 hours, 14 minutes and 13 seconds (if I did my maths right).

Yeah, I saw "the Martian", but since a year on Mars is 687 Earth days, I figured a Martian probably doesn't have 52 weeks, but something else that suits their year.

Another vote for waypoints. I find this lack really tedious. How hard is a freaking linked list????

It's not just tedious in my opinion... lack of waypoints can leave you stranded since the navigation doesn't consider how much energy you need to get to your next stop. It's happy to drop you at your destination with 12% battery... but that might not be enough to get you home or wherever else you're going.

At least until L3 charging is ubiquitous, waypoints are a necessity.

Reactions: kavyboy
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier
It's not just tedious in my opinion... lack of waypoints can leave you stranded since the navigation doesn't consider how much energy you need to get to your next stop. It's happy to drop you at your destination with 12% battery... but that might not be enough to get you home or wherever else you're going.

At least until L3 charging is ubiquitous, waypoints are a necessity.
This was discussed back when Elon said "no" to waypoints in 2019. One of the problems is Tesla doesn't know how long you will stop at a waypoint and thus they can't predict the energy draw from the stops. It'll likely just use the assumption the stop is instantaneous, so don't expect the percentage prediction to be accurate.
https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/170222/elon-musk-says-no-to-waypoints

I think a lot of people however would just like to have waypoints regardless of the battery prediction. For me, it'll be easier to force the nav to go through a specific route while still being able to take advantage of other Tesla features (like battery conditioning for supercharging).

Being able to specify a waypoint allows you to select a route which may not be the most direct to a destination but is along a preferred way of getting there. For example, when driving from the Bay Area down to Los Angeles, you can save a few minutes by taking Interstate 5. However, there are more opportunities for bio breaks and food stops (i.e., civilization) if you travel via Highway 101. Not to mention it's a more scenic drive and cooler in the summertime when taking the "coast" route instead of driving down the Central Valley.

Reactions: heapmaster
Tesla doesn't know how long you will stop at a waypoint and thus they can't predict the energy draw from the stops. It'll likely just use the assumption the stop is instantaneous

I hadn't considered "long" stops... this makes sense. It's sufficient to assume that the stop will be a quick one though. At least it'll give the driver some idea of their ability to move on from their destination. EV enthusiasts, early adopters, technically inclined drivers may not have a problem with this, but EVs are making their way into the general public now. Many people drive with a gas can in their trunk... EV drivers don't have that luxury. Waypoints are necessary.

Can you cite the tweet that he "just tweeted" ? I just wasted my time looking at his tweets and couldn't find the tweet you were referencing. His tweets since the last 24 hours were related to SpaceX. His last Tesla tweet was on September 16 which is outside the "just tweeted" timeframe. That tweet was about FSD beta and nothing to do with waypoints.
It’s been more than 2 weeks…no waypoints

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff