Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you calculate Supercharging for roundtrips when destination has no charging option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you guys calculate Supercharging for roundtrips? I can put the destination on the Navigation and the system does a good job of showing how much I should Supercharge in order to make it to my destination. But I need to also to go back and the destination has no charging options. What are my options?

A few thoughts:

--- The roundtrip indicator in the Navigation is almost useless as it is calulating the roundtrip based on the trip starting point, not the last Supercharger used (I think)

--- I guess one option would be to create a New trip from the last Supercharger to the destination and use the rountrip indicator on the Navigation system (?). At least I would be able to tell if I will have enough juice to come back to the same Supercharger.

--- EV TripPlanner (or some other trip planning tool) is also another option but not convenient and not integrated to the car

--- Obviously, it would be nice for Tesla to upgrade the Navigation system to allow real roundtrip navigation instructions with Supercharger stops. Or, allow multiple destinations so you could plan a trip A -> B -> A

How do you guys calculate Supercharging for roundtrips? I can put the destination on the Navigation and the system does a good job of showing how much I should Supercharge in order to make it to my destination. But I need to also to go back and the destination has no charging options. What are my options?

A few thoughts:

--- The roundtrip indicator in the Navigation is almost useless as it is calulating the roundtrip based on the trip starting point, not the last Supercharger used (I think)

--- I guess one option would be to create a New trip from the last Supercharger to the destination and use the rountrip indicator on the Navigation system (?). At least I would be able to tell if I will have enough juice to come back to the same Supercharger.

--- EV TripPlanner (or some other trip planning tool) is also another option but not convenient and not integrated to the car

--- Obviously, it would be nice for Tesla to upgrade the Navigation system to allow real roundtrip navigation instructions with Supercharger stops. Or, allow multiple destinations so you could plan a trip A -> B -> A

Don't forget to factor in vampire drain...

I just use a rubric of adding X miles to the total miles needed...

So, if your destination is 60 miles away, that's 120 mile street RT. If I'm staying two nights, figure 14 miles of loss... so add a factor on top of the 134 miles expected...

Then again any sort of trickle charge helps with vampire drain, even at 110V...

I believe that if you just dial into your destination from the final SC that you need, the touchscreen will show the estimated battery reserve for a round trip. Of course this assumes that you will be going up and back the same day. It will factor in elevation gains and losses, but not bad weather or vampire losses.

You can adjust the settings for the remote connection to stay off, and this saves a mile or so of vampire drain per day.

And the suggestion for a 110V trickle charge while at your destination is excellent advice. Even in brutal cold, a trickle charge quite likely will add a handful of miles overnight, but do not quote me, as I have never charged in brutal cold. But there are those around here who have, and they are the best source.