Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you carry house keys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me I just keep a backup set in my glove box. I can unlock the doors, open the garage, turn on/off my alarm all from my phone. So, I don’t really “carry” keys around anymore. I have a keycard in my wallet, house keys in the glove box, and use my phone for my car.

I went with YRD256 Yale Assure SL Homekit lock. I think it's sleek looking. They sell separate Bluetooth, Homekit and ZWave Plus modules. They even had a Zigbee module at one time. It's the first look I've seen where you could change the network type without trashing your entire lock.
It looks like they added a new Wi-Fi August module which seems strange. Connected by August

I just use my garage door opener. If I didn't have that I'd get a Bluetooth door lock. I actually tried to install the kwikset combination lock but I rage quit and returned it. I found it odd because I always use their door locks and have no problems.

I have this wallet (the one in lower right of photo)
The Kit Slim
wallet.jpg

I have Schlage smart locks so I don’t carry keys. Now I just walk around with my wallet and phone.

One downside is that I forget to check the mail pretty often since I have a locked mailbox, and I never have the mailbox key on me.

I have the same smartlocks but my mailbox isn’t locked. No keys at all for me. I like it.

Keypad deadbolt that is battery powered. Have them on 2 doors just in case power goes out for garage door and batteries out on keypad.

+1 for Schlage. I have the Schlage Sense deadbolt lock and can have Siri unlock the door without having to type in the code when it is raining. I no longer have any keys in my pocket.

Schlage is my lock as well. Completely reliable.

@silentsnow31802 - A few points to consider about smart locks:

1) even if your wife is not tech savvy, if you went with a smart lock like Schlage , there are non-tech-savvy features such as
a) a physical keypad on the outside that she simply enters a 4 digit code to open the door. No more complicated than remembering a 4 digit PIN for an ATM machine.
b) Schlage locks also feature a traditional key slot. So...you could give your wife a physical key and a 4 digit code and tell her she can use either. She might start out using the key and then one day she uses the code. Then she thinks, "This is easy" and uses the code more and more. Eventually she decides to use the code only. Then, who knows, maybe in the future, she wants to use Siri, Alexa or whatever (there are different versions depending on which technology you run) or a phone app to open/lock the door. But even if she never gets past using the 4 digit code, you still get to go keyless.

2) Smart locks are just like regular locks - they install and uninstall easily. I did my own installation (on two different doors) in about 30 minutes. So you could install it on a rental house and just keep the current lockset/deadbolt around and when you move on from that place, just reverse the procedure and take your smart lock with you to your new home.

Just some points to consider.

No key. The door inside my garage is unlocked. If someone wants to make the effort to force open my garage door and get inside (all whilst being recorded), then a lock and deadbolt won't stop them from getting into the house.

I literally don't own a single key. Code locks on the home, phone for the car and an RFID badge for work. Getting rid of all keys is the best strategy. Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of all my cards, tesla backup key, work badge, drivers license, personal credit card, work credit card etc....

Ever since I took delivery of the Model 3, I've exclusively used my phone as key. With my previous car, I had my house keys on the same key ring as the car fob. Well, now that I don't have a key fob, and I don't want to carry a separate key ring with my house keys, I just slip it in the inside pocket of my wallet so they won't fall out.

Just curious what everyone else does...do you carry a separate key ring? I don't have smart locks and I need to have the keys on me just in case, even though I can get in through the garage if necessary.

I installed a keypad deadbolt on the house entry door in my garage after getting the Model 3 specifically so I wouldn't have to carry keys around.

Reactions: Mo City