Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you carry house keys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I took delivery of the Model 3, I've exclusively used my phone as key. With my previous car, I had my house keys on the same key ring as the car fob. Well, now that I don't have a key fob, and I don't want to carry a separate key ring with my house keys, I just slip it in the inside pocket of my wallet so they won't fall out.

Just curious what everyone else does...do you carry a separate key ring? I don't have smart locks and I need to have the keys on me just in case, even though I can get in through the garage if necessary.

I keep a set of keys in my glovebox in case of emergency. Otherwise, I use homelink for the garage and an august smart lock. If possible, I highly suggest looking into August. You can use with your current locks. It is sooooo nice not to carry keys around anywhere!

Ever since I took delivery of the Model 3, I've exclusively used my phone as key. With my previous car, I had my house keys on the same key ring as the car fob. Well, now that I don't have a key fob, and I don't want to carry a separate key ring with my house keys, I just slip it in the inside pocket of my wallet so they won't fall out.

Just curious what everyone else does...do you carry a separate key ring? I don't have smart locks and I need to have the keys on me just in case, even though I can get in through the garage if necessary.

I didn't want to carry any last keys anymore and spent Saturday researching smart locks; picked up the August one and looking forward to install.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I have no house keys. I agree with @ericbs. Smart locks are the way.

For house, front door has a (HomeKit) smart lock that has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years. I can open the door either using my phone, Siri, or I can punch in a code on the physical keypad.

Each family member (and others like a few selected friends and cleaning crew) has their own code and the logs show who unlocked the door and when.

It’s been very nice living a key free existence. House key was my last key to get rid of.

Reactions: RScottyL
While I still carry my keys on a small, Tesla keyring I bought off Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078TTLT32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I don't really need them, since I have a Schlage Sense lock. My Schlage has been installed on my home for nearly 3 years and it has never failed to work for me, either on the keypad or via Siri. As a backup I have a remote keypad on my garage door, and my garage door opener has a battery backup. My mailbox is in a mailbox bank in my community, so I need a key for it. Not a huge deal, since I get very little mail that's not junk.

Having said that, I have owned my car since last Wednesday. Put it in the detailer's shop on Saturday for a week, but in the 2 1/2 days that I drove it before then I already had the phone key "fail" a few times for something as simple as my phone being in my back pocket instead of my front. Had to remove it and hold it in my hand to get it to work. So, unless this improves dramatically I will likely be carrying the fob once it's released.

I still have physical office keys I have to carry every workday, so I got a plastic card holder with a key ring although it is awkward.

I’m probably going to move my card key to briefcase as emergency backup, as I’ve not had any issues with phone key.

Like just about everyone else here, it’s all about smart locks. We went with Schilage and couldn’t be happier! I do carry our mailbox and a backup set of physical keys in the center console, but we’ve had these locks for 2-3 years and have never had any issues.

I have always hated having to carry lots of stuff in my pockets, so once we took delivery of the 3 I swapped out my (already tiny) wallet for a nice leather phone case that has just enough space to hold my ID, backup Model 3 driving card, a credit card, and a folded up emergency $50. It’s been a perfect solution for me.

Reactions: suwaneedad