Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you open the trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Voice command, linked to voice recognition of owner. "Open your truck, my dear Tesla". Invented centuries ago by a certain Ali Baba.

(ok, probably not true, but it would be cool, wouldn't it :))

Probably something archaic like a button on the trunk itself. Oh my! :eek:

Exactly. You press up under the lip like pretty much every other sedan out there. Or you can use the phone app. Or you can use the center screen. However, I never see why pulling something out of my pocket to open a trunk is easier that pressing a button on the trunk (unless I'm opening the trunk for somebody else from a distance, that's the only time I use a fob to open a trunk).

Last edited:
Reactions: T-Will
Exactly. You press up under the lip like pretty much every other sedan out there. Or you can use the phone app. Or you can use the center screen. However, I never see why pulling something out of my pocket to open a trunk is easier that pressing a button on the trunk (unless I'm opening the trunk for somebody else from a distance, that's the only time I use a fob to open a trunk).
Assume you have to have the phone on you then... I get slack for this every time I mention it, but this seems like a nuisance situation. I can't tell you how often I'm outside working or something without my phone and run to grab something out of or put something in my trunk or hatch. Since the Model 3 locks itself when you walk away, I'd have to have your phone on me. In this instance in my car, it would probably be unlocked (when it's in my driveway) or I'd probably have my fob in my pocket. If not I can yell to my kids to pop the trunk for me. They can grab the extra fob I keep in a drawer and pop it from inside. Looks like they would have to find my phone, unlock it (they currently don't have my passcode), open the app and unlock it for me, or find the card in my wallet and run it down to me. I also often unlock the car or pop the trunk from a distance using my fob, which I can do without taking it out of my pocket. Easier than pulling my phone out (especially if my hands are dirty), unlocking it, opening the app and unlocking the doors.

For the most part I love the idea of using the phone and having a card as backup, but I can foresee some adjusting in a few situations.

Reactions: chinnam3
I can't tell you how often I'm outside working or something without my phone and run to grab something out of or put something in my trunk or hatch.

I guess you’ll just have to get an Apple Watch then. Most of the time I have my phone and/or my fob with me when I need to get into my MS in my garage, but on the rare occasions when I don’t ive used the remote-s app on my Apple Watch to unlock the car.

I'm sure they'll make it as easy as they can, but this strikes me as a case of trying to be futuristic just for the sake of an imagined cool factor. The need to have my phone with me to open the car seems like it could be a nuisance. I presume the car locks itself when you walk away, and unlocks itself when it detects the Bluetooth on the phone, meaning the the phone must have Bluetooth on. I normally have Bluetooth off to save on battery. Now I'll have to keep it on.

I am a big Tesla fanboy, but I think this is something they got wrong. With my Roadster, I decide whether or not to lock the car (in my garage I don't lock it). I leave the phone in the car when I go into stores, because I don't need to have the damn thing on me at all times. No more. Now I'll have to always have it with me. I do NOT like that. The Prius has the smart fob, but it's so much smaller than a phone that it's not a big deal to keep it in my pocket when I drive that car. And I can still decide not to lock the car when it's in my garage. I do NOT like the idea of the phone trying to do everything, just as I think that an internet-connected coffee maker is a stupid idea.

Heck, I didn't even have a smartphone until a year and a half ago, and I know people who still don't. Tesla is basically saying "If you don't own a smartphone we don't want to sell you a car." How nuts is that?

Tesla: Please offer an option to have a keyfob! I gather that the smartcard will open the car. Will it let you start the car and drive normally? If so, problem solved.

I gather that the smartcard will open the car. Will it let you start the car and drive normally? If so, problem solved.
I thought it was fairly obvious that it does. The keycard manual was posted a while back:
http://www.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/tesla-model_3_keys-manual.pdf

There was no mention however of how it interacts with the trunk however unfortunately. There is the 15 second timeout for starting the car, but not sure how that applies to the trunk (maybe you can open trunk in that 15 seconds too by pressing the outside button).

• Informative
Reactions: daniel
I'm sure they'll make it as easy as they can, but this strikes me as a case of trying to be futuristic just for the sake of an imagined cool factor. The need to have my phone with me to open the car seems like it could be a nuisance. I presume the car locks itself when you walk away, and unlocks itself when it detects the Bluetooth on the phone, meaning the the phone must have Bluetooth on. I normally have Bluetooth off to save on battery. Now I'll have to keep it on.

I am a big Tesla fanboy, but I think this is something they got wrong. With my Roadster, I decide whether or not to lock the car (in my garage I don't lock it). I leave the phone in the car when I go into stores, because I don't need to have the damn thing on me at all times. No more. Now I'll have to always have it with me. I do NOT like that. The Prius has the smart fob, but it's so much smaller than a phone that it's not a big deal to keep it in my pocket when I drive that car. And I can still decide not to lock the car when it's in my garage. I do NOT like the idea of the phone trying to do everything, just as I think that an internet-connected coffee maker is a stupid idea.

Heck, I didn't even have a smartphone until a year and a half ago, and I know people who still don't. Tesla is basically saying "If you don't own a smartphone we don't want to sell you a car." How nuts is that?

Tesla: Please offer an option to have a keyfob! I gather that the smartcard will open the car. Will it let you start the car and drive normally? If so, problem solved.

Whereas for me there have been a ton of times when I find myself out by the car without my fob, but I always have my phone. The problem with the Model S is that the app sometimes takes a couple minutes to connect to unlock the car (since it connects over the internet via the Tesla servers instead of using Bluetooth), so it’s almost faster to run into the house to grab my fob. I’m looking forward to one less thing to carry (since the keycard will be in my wallet).

Reactions: liuping
I thought it was fairly obvious that it does. The keycard manual was posted a while back:
http://www.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/tesla-model_3_keys-manual.pdf

There was no mention however of how it interacts with the trunk however unfortunately. There is the 15 second timeout for starting the car, but not sure how that applies to the trunk (maybe you can open trunk in that 15 seconds too by pressing the outside button).

Thank you. This answers my original question and I am satisfied with the way they've done it. I will assume (even though the manual does not specifically say it) that unlocking the car, either by tapping the key card or by walking up with the phone, will also unlock the trunk. This is satisfactory.

I was concerned before that maybe the key card only allowed the car to be driven in valet mode, but such is not the case. I imagine valet mode would be initiated via the app or from the screen.

I'm more excited than ever to get this car.

Reactions: DR61
Assume you have to have the phone on you then... I get slack for this every time I mention it, but this seems like a nuisance situation. I can't tell you how often I'm outside working or something without my phone and run to grab something out of or put something in my trunk or hatch. Since the Model 3 locks itself when you walk away, I'd have to have your phone on me. In this instance in my car, it would probably be unlocked (when it's in my driveway) or I'd probably have my fob in my pocket. If not I can yell to my kids to pop the trunk for me. They can grab the extra fob I keep in a drawer and pop it from inside. Looks like they would have to find my phone, unlock it (they currently don't have my passcode), open the app and unlock it for me, or find the card in my wallet and run it down to me. I also often unlock the car or pop the trunk from a distance using my fob, which I can do without taking it out of my pocket. Easier than pulling my phone out (especially if my hands are dirty), unlocking it, opening the app and unlocking the doors.

For the most part I love the idea of using the phone and having a card as backup, but I can foresee some adjusting in a few situations.
I couldn’t find it on center screen