Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you personalize?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you live somewhere that Tesla's are popular (like SF Bay Area, Seattle, Etc), most anywhere you park is going to be a lot of other Tesla's. Combine that with the fact that M3 and MY are the most popular AND generally come in one of 2.5 colors (White, Black and more recently Grey)... there are a lot of identical cares out there.

Do you do anything to personalize or differentiate your cars exterior? If so, what do you do? Or do you just walk around the parking lot until one of them flashes at you.

If you live somewhere that Tesla's are popular (like SF Bay Area, Seattle, Etc), most anywhere you park is going to be a lot of other Tesla's. Combine that with the fact that M3 and MY are the most popular AND generally come in one of 2.5 colors (White, Black and more recently Grey)... there are a lot of identical cares out there.

Do you do anything to personalize or differentiate your cars exterior? If so, what do you do? Or do you just walk around the parking lot until one of them flashes at you.
Get an iridescent paint wrap and make your car look like a giant insect wing. Seen one or two in my area which has tons of teslas. Yup they stand out in the crowd. Lol.

Aside from wraps, there’s not a lot you can do, particularly on the exterior. I hope to put a relatively conservative black spoiler on the back (I’m not generally a fan of carbon fiber, so it probably won’t be from Tesla). I would also like to either replace my stock 19-in wheels with black ones (same size) from T-Sportline or get the stock ones powdercoated black. One small thing that I’ve done that’s a bit different around here (where front license plates are required, though some people skip them) is to get a plate holder that lets me drop the plate very low on the front (so I get to preserve most of the front end look). Someday, if I get brave and have the funds, I’ll get my windows tinted.

On the inside, I’ve added metal pedal covers, a Jowua center console mini USB hub, and TeslaShields mats inside and for the frunk and trunk. I’ve got a nice sliding tray for the front console bin. I’ll be upgrading the interior lights soon.

It’s not much, but it’s at least a little different.

Get an iridescent paint wrap and make your car look like a giant insect wing.
While I find that idea quite amusing, the spouse approval factor is going to be negative on that.

I know there is always the option to fully wrap the Tesla but I'm not trying to REALLY stand out. More just curious if people did do something small for themselves.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricAnt54

I tinted the windows and wrapped the Tesla badges red. Black is not as common as White.

Reactions: ShakataGaNai
While I find that idea quite amusing, the spouse approval factor is going to be negative on that.

I know there is always the option to fully wrap the Tesla but I'm not trying to REALLY stand out. More just curious if people did do something small for themselves.
I curbed and scratched up my 21” wheels. 🤣my scratch pattern is distinct.

I added a display behind my steering wheel which mimics some info seen in model S & displays Apple CarPlay / anderoid auto. So I tend to look in teslas if I wonder which is mine 😂.

I am thinking about adding yoke steering wheel.

You can change the wheels.

There are some alternate rear spoilers you can put on.

And of course hot magenta lights under the car or is that too 80’s.

Problem solved.

Seriously if you really can’t find your car in a parking lot, which signals that you might have some issues, there is an almost inexhaustible array of options you can choose to differentiate your vehicle. Just go to RPM Tesla and take your pick

Attachments

• 05EE0EAF-FDFF-49E6-9805-17824AE8198D.png
    05EE0EAF-FDFF-49E6-9805-17824AE8198D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 188
  • Funny
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
It’s not an issue in my area yet, especially since I have a blue one, but I enjoy putting stuff in/on my car so I’ve added some taillight tint, brake light/turn signal combo in the hitch cover area, and carbon fiber side repeater cover. I also put in carbon fiber dash replacement. It looks like eventually there will be as many M3/MY around here as Honda Accords, so I think some personalization is a good thing.

I want to wrap or powder coat my OEM roof racks WRB to match my bugeye along with powder coating the wheels gold. Since my MYLR is gray, I'm hesitant it'll look hideous but will definitely stand out in a sea of Teslae. A fake hood scoop will be a bonus, but will affect the aerodynamics, hence will pass. Oversized rally style STi mudflaps are an option as well! I'm torn!☹️

Although it doesn't help with finding the car in a parking lot, after a trip where one of the rear reflectors fell out...
TX Trip reflector mssing.png

I decided to splurge and got a set of lighted reflectors from PimpYourEv,

I tend to use my turn signals more, especially if there is a Tesla behind me (make them envious)! :)
I also hope that it does make the fact that I am turning (or braking) more noticeable and therefore less prone to get rear ended.

Reactions: Nambo
Although it doesn't help with finding the car in a parking lot, after a trip where one of the rear reflectors fell out...
View attachment 855070
I decided to splurge and got a set of lighted reflectors from PimpYourEv,

I tend to use my turn signals more, especially if there is a Tesla behind me (make them envious)! :)
I also hope that it does make the fact that I am turning (or braking) more noticeable and therefore less prone to get rear ended.
You can find these for substantially cheaper on Aliexpress well btw.

Still need to install mine....

Stickers! Driver side rear fixed window - helps daughter find car and avoids trying to open someone else's car.

My talking-cow stickers are peeling off so added a classic blue wave.

Stickers can be fun! Perhaps not for this crowd but they can bring joy to others.

View attachment 855095
This is how we distinguish the sea of Macbooks in the office from one another. Not sure I'd plaster on my car but works for some I guess!

Someday, if I get brave and have the funds, I’ll get my windows tinted.
Do it! For looks and for heat rejection. If you have the time to buy and install the other dozen accessories you listed, you can do tints. Plus, you want to do it sooner for A) the benefit, and B) your glass is in the best condition it can be in, right now. If you put your tint over scratched up glass, you can't do anything about that (not really). If you really want to pinch, there are different costs to the tint types, and you don't have to do all the windows at once (but you might as well if it's going to be in the shop).

Reactions: dagug
Do it! For looks and for heat rejection. If you have the time to buy and install the other dozen accessories you listed, you can do tints. Plus, you want to do it sooner for A) the benefit, and B) your glass is in the best condition it can be in, right now. If you put your tint over scratched up glass, you can't do anything about that (not really). If you really want to pinch, there are different costs to the tint types, and you don't have to do all the windows at once (but you might as well if it's going to be in the shop).
I really do want to do the tint. But, I've read some horror stories of tinting gone bad, and I'm a perfectionist. So, I'd probably want/need to go to a highly regarded place here in the DC area, and that would be fairly expensive. It would be a trade off between tinting and new wheels, and I haven't decided yet.