Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how do you voice command diff wiper speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right button and say Wipers 1…. Wipers 2…. Etc
Awesome. Thank god for this forum to help unlock Tesla limitless possibilities...and make up for Sh1t service and poorest auto sense wipers. On a sunny day they came on as I was pulling into the garage. Moisture non existent.

Ohhh I suggest to Elon naming for next models for Tesla to add beyond model S. Model H Model 1, Model T? Just kidding, not possible due to Ford's model T.

Right button and say Wipers 1…. Wipers 2…. Etc

Yeah … “Set wipers to ……… 1, 2, 3, 4, Auto, or Off”. If there’s a lot of background noise from rain hitting car, speak loudly and clearly.

I was just in my car today in the rain and wanted to check before I replied to this thread. I used voice commands to say:

"Set Wipers to speed X" where X = 1/2/3/4 or Auto. I changed from auto to speed 2 by saying "Set wipers to speed 2", and then later changed back to auto by saying "Set wiper speed to auto".

Both worked. In my wifes model Y with 2023.2.12 firmware.

I've tried all the above, nothing works. Really disappointing, I'd really like it to work.

All I get are bad misinterpretations, and it either increases by 1, sets to max, or says command not understood. Never what I asked for. I don't have time to trial and error diagnose it, it should just work.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Sort of off topic? maybe? I was driving in intense rain today (super rare here) on my way to the service center to have home link installed, wipers were on full speed and needed to be when I drove through a tunnel for a few seconds, wipers turn off as they should and as I exit the tunnel rain is pouring and I am blinded, can't see S*#T!, I thought a second or 2 delay no problem but it was several seconds and then finally went back on, I was so surprised by this that I did not think to hit the button on the stock for a wipe or 2 while I was waiting for auto to take over, next time I'll be ready but I was caught off guard while driving blind.

I have owned a 3 for 5 years before getting the Y so no stranger to the horrible wipers but this was a first for me being in SoCal.

I've tried all the above, nothing works. Really disappointing, I'd really like it to work.

All I get are bad misinterpretations, and it either increases by 1, sets to max, or says command not understood. Never what I asked for. I don't have time to trial and error diagnose it, it should just work.

It does "just work" for me though, every single time. Perhaps you have an accent or something that it doesnt understand, but I can guarantee that, at least for me, the voice commands I said in post #7 work, every single time, without fail, or issue.

It does "just work" for me though, every single time. Perhaps you have an accent or something that it doesnt understand, but I can guarantee that, at least for me, the voice commands I said in post #7 work, every single time, without fail, or issue.
I don't doubt you at all. I have a normal west coast accent, grew up in the Bay Area. I generally enunciate well.

I can get many voice commands to work. The only ones I struggle with are the heater fan speed, wiper speed, seat heater levels, and headlights (these are also the ones I'd like to use the most).

Texting and calling work great.

The only official instructions I got from Tesla was a 1 minute explanation from the service rep at delivery showing how to activate it, and to just play around, it uses normal language. False, at least for me.

It would be so easy to pop up a list of actual commands (when parked), or let us record our own commands for each function.

"Hey, it looks like you're trying to control the wipers, and we didn't have a good match for what you asked for. Here's a list of what we expect you to say: _____"

or something

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
It would be so easy to pop up a list of actual commands (when parked), or let us record our own commands for each function.

"Hey, it looks like you're trying to control the wipers, and we didn't have a good match for what you asked for. Here's a list of what we expect you to say:

Thats a GREAT idea, especially if they are not going to use one of the "natural speech" assistant type things.

The funny thing is (at least funny to me), In general, I am not enamored with "voice assistants". I dont use Alexa, Cortana, nor "hey google" in general. The only voice commands I use with my phone at all are some variation of "Set a XX minute timer to XXXX" where XXX is some cooking function, because I like to cook.

The only reason I use voice commands in the car is from necessity, because stabbing at the screen to control wipers doesnt really work (for example). Things like seat heating I can generally turn on / off without too much issue since I put the icon for it back on my bar, but the wipers are still troublesome enough that I have to fiddle with them constantly.

Been that way since I bought the car in 2018, still that way now, some updates are better, some worse, but I had to find a way to change wiper speeds and still keep my hands on the wheel. I push the button to auto swipe the wipers (on the end of the stalk) enough that its engrained in my muscle memory at this point (which frankly is terrible, but it is what it is).

The auto wiper functionality (or lack thereof) was the one thing that almost kept me from replacing my wifes X3 with a model Y, but after a bunch of discussion and her saying she really wanted to switch, I went ahead with it (after making sure she could also change wiper speeds with voice commands, and was comfortable with possibly needing to repeatedly push the button to auto swipe the wipers).

Heh... I try not to tirade online much cause its really not my style, but the wipers are sort of a sore spot for me. I would be extremely frustrated if I couldnt get the voice command to work for them, so I feel your pain.

Reactions: OxBrew
At this point I think they're just trolling me.

But I did get it to work for speed 3 one time!

D1E34492-0955-4B06-A783-5BA094E1C5E2.jpeg