TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How does a roadster drive

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Nototrader, Aug 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bolosky

bolosky Member

You should come visit Seattle. There was another Roadster in the grocery store parking lot this weekend. And it's not like the Roadster has all that much room to store groceries, either.

2. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

I think you might be overselling Seattle, @bolosky! I drive around the Seattle area a fair amount, and I randomly come across another Roadster maybe twice a year. I recall randomly crossing paths with you just once in all the years we've had our Roadsters. Of course, when there's an EV show, there's usually a good number of us that get together then!

3. daniel

daniel Active Member

I love driving my Roadster. It's even more fun than my old Zap Xebra, and that's saying something because that little unreliable crapo rattle-trap was the most fun car I had ever driven before the Roadster. Unlike some have said above, my Roadster does not rattle, though of course you feel every bump in the road, as you're supposed to in a sports car. But I didn't buy it for being a sports car; I bought it for being electric, because the Xebra was just too under-powered. (Zero to 35 mph in 31 seconds on level ground. And it slowed to 6 mph on one of our steeper downtown streets.) Of course, having experienced Roadster acceleration I'm hooked. Merging and passing, nothing beats it, except of course the P85D (and higher) Model S. So I'm going to have to pony up for the dual-motor performance version of the Model 3.

The Roadster has character and is wonderfully fun to drive.

But I also want safety. I didn't get an S because it's just too big a car for me. I've got a reservation in on a Model 3, and sadly I'll have to get rid of the Roadster when the 3 comes, because of insufficient garage space. I'll miss the Roadster, but between fun and safe, I have to choose safe. Not that the Roadster is unsafe. It's not, by any means. But the Model 3 will be much safer.

Oh, and the Roadster has plenty of room for groceries in the trunk, if you live alone and shop for one, as I do.

• Like x 3
  4. mmccord

mmccord Member

My favorite quote by my brother about his Exige:

"It's the perfect family car, if your family consists of you and another person with no legs."

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Habious

Habious Member

In reference to the Roadster cupholder, I often tell people "I can easily haul a beverage...or a passenger."

• Funny x 5
  6. daniel

daniel Active Member

I would not dare put a cup in my Roadster's "cup holder." Unless it was parked and was not going to be moved until I had emptied the cup. ;)

7. gregd

gregd Active Member

I've actually used mine with a cup (once?), but it was one of those travel ones (with a sealed lid). But most of the time, it's not a cup holder, but a CAN holder. As in, a place for my CAN-JR adapter in the soft case.

• Like x 1
  8. daniel

daniel Active Member

On one occasion I used it to try to hold the little metal water bottle that came in the swag package with the Roadster. Of course the top was screwed on because I didn't trust the holder. Sure enough, the bottle fell out. But I never eat or drink while driving, so I don't need a cup holder. What I'd really like would be a better place to put miscellaneous small stuff than that little tray up between the footwells.

But I only expect to be driving the Roadster for another year. I will miss it sorely. But I won't have parking for it when the Model 3 comes. I expect that to have better storage. :)

9. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

The cup holder works well for me. Never an issue. However a crockpot of chili on the floor was another matter.

• Funny x 4
  10. bolosky

bolosky Member

In terms of bad stuff in the car, I've got you all beat. A couple of weeks after I got my Roadster the local owners had a group drive. I took my 11 year old son with me. He'd been complaining that he didn't feel well, but it didn't seem like that big of a deal. Until it was. We were going around a corner (not all that fast) and he said "Dad, I feel really sick." And proceeded to throw up his entire stomach-full of partly digested cholate milk. Onto the carpet, into the vents, in the seatbelt retractor, everywhere. Think of the vomit scene from Monty Python's Meaning of Life and you'll get the idea.

Lucky for me, Tesla service disassembled the entire interior and cleaned it all out. It was my first interaction with them, and I was really amazed at how well they did. I never noticed any hint of it thereafter.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  11. thefortunes

thefortunes Member

OMG. That had to be horrible. :eek: