Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does a roadster drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How hard is the steering since it's not power or power assist? Also, how bad of a feeling is it over poor roads?

A number of years ago I hurt my right shoulder through a bunch of things like playing softball and hang gliding. The net of it was that I had to get it scoped, and they took out a bunch of loose bits. I even have a videotape of the inside of my shoulder.

After the surgery, it felt much better than it did before, but it still always hurt a little.

Skip forward a few years and my new Roadster arrived. I was really excited to drive the car, but it takes considerable force to turn the wheel at low speed. This just *killed* my shoulder. I was trying to turn only left handed and whatnot, but after having the car for a couple of days I was wondering whether I would have to sell it.

However, I decided to stick it out another week and it stopped bothering me. Not only didn't it hurt to drive, it didn't hurt at all. Ever. The Roadster was physical therapy! This was confirmed a few years later when I had it in the shop for some body work (I hit a raccoon) and it took months to get it back. My shoulder started hurting again, then stopped when the car returned.

I still haven't figured out how to charge my medical insurance for it, but I'll be sure to tell the forum when I do. :)

I disagree that you would get killed on it should you decide to sell it, unless you're referring to the sales tax and registration costs. If so, that would be the case with any purchase.

IMHO, the Roadster will be a very collectible car in the not too distant future. I think that it will be viewed as the car that pioneered the electric era. This fact, in addition to the car being beloved by the vast majority of its owners, make it very desirable. Also, it's important to note that only 2,500 or so roadsters were ever produced,with only 1,464 of them in the US.

There is little financial risk in NJ. There is no sales tax on new and used EV purchases. Just be sure that you tell this fact to the NJMV agency when you register as a few are not aware of this...

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
Bumping this thread as it captures the essence of why any of us looking for a Roadster should care about this car. I wanted to cite some of the more poignant comments in one post so we can enjoy them all in a single read (with my $.02 thrown in of course :)). Ironically, this post may end up being as long as the original thread but oh well...

If you're expecting luxury, it's not the car for you. It's old school, requires a key (a key!!), rattles, creaks, cramped, some people have a hard time getting in/out, has no storage space, has a tiny display screen, and is the most fun I've ever had driving a car. It has soul. Lots of it.

You'll have to decide what's important to you.

@bonnie - I've decided what's important to me: (a) I'm old school and (b) I want a car with soul. Sold!

I converted to the Roadster after driving 9 different Porsches, including every iteration of the 911 Turbo since the 993. I've also owned a few Lamborghinis (LP640, Murcielago, Gallardo & Superleggerra) and Ferraris (360, F355 & 612). Also put a lot of miles on an F430 and a 458 Italia.

Yet, the Roadster is the one that sits in my garage. In fact, I like it so much, I've got 4 of them sitting in there.

@spiderguy - Hope you held onto that air-cooled 993T! BTW, where's that photo of your quintuplets in their crib? Your Roadster family has been waiting for months to see pictures of the kids so pls share!

I had a 1975 Porsche 914. A tiny, two door mid-engine roadster with a frunk. It was light and because of the mid-engine, it handled amazingly well.

The handling of the Roadster reminded me of the 914, which is a really good thing.

The difference was that the 914 was absurdly anemic in terms of power, and the Roadster is really quick. (When I bought it, it seemed amazing; after driving an Insane P85D, well, it's still not that bad.)

@bolosky - But was it a 914-6?

You say you have an S and an X. You need to test drive a Roadster to really understand just how fundamentally different it is from the cars Tesla currently produces. I would really like to hear back from you after you drive a Roadster.

@ecarfan - I too would love to hear the comments of those fortunate enough to own or have owned all three: R, MS, MX. Oh wait! Let's see what @RobsJester and @ChadS have to say...

...neither can compare to the experience of driving a Roadster.
Neither feel as quick. Neither as visceral. A Roaster is constant feedback, the conditions around you will demand your full attention. To live in the moment, some people seek out meditation, surfing, or sex. Screw all that, just clock a few twists in a Roadster, yeah, that'll bring you into the "Now".

@RobsJester - "Neither as visceral." That, sir, is the adjective right there! I have some thoughts on that I'll share at the end of this post.

Yes, the Model S is more practical. The P*D versions are quicker. But the Roadster is SO MUCH MORE FUN to drive... Mind you, the Roadster is not for everyone. Downsides include:
  • Taut ride
  • Little storage space in the cabin or trunk
  • Noisy (wind noise, road noise, rattles and squeaks)
  • Poor rear visibility
  • Difficult ingress/egress
  • Very low driving position means pretty much any car blocks your view, and not all cars can see you
If you can put up with that list, you will not regret getting one.

@ChadS - The fact that the Roadster is not for everyone is big part of the allure to me and, presumably, was for those of you fortunate enough to own them. I'm prepared to put up with its shortcomings if it makes me fell like a kid again every time I drive it.

That isn't the question, the question is - is there a mechanic experienced with Roadsters near him? It is now an exotic car, and worthy of consideration if you can get it fixed.

@PtG62901 - This strikes me as imperative esp. now that all factory warranties seem to be drying up. I'm in SoCal so I assume we still have some seasoned CS techs in our shops here. If anyone has any experiences or recommendations they can share, pls do.

IMHO, the Roadster will be a very collectible car in the not too distant future. I think that it will be viewed as the car that pioneered the electric era. This fact, in addition to the car being beloved by the vast majority of its owners, make it very desirable. Also, it's important to note that only 2,500 or so roadsters were ever produced,with only 1,464 of them in the US.

@spiderguy - Hoping you're right but only time will tell. In the meantime, we still await the photos of your four ponies in the stable!

If you want a car where you're part of the car, connected directly to the road by electric acceleration, get the Roadster. If you're contemplating on steering wheel feel and comfort get the S or something else.

@wiztecy - I test drove a P85D when they were first released. At the end of the test drive the marketing rep asked me what I thought. I told him it felt like I was dating a supermodel with no personality. True, she was stunning... no, breathtaking to look. The fit, finish and her curves! Yet, I had no appreciation for just how much amazing tech was involved to arrive at such power. Sadly, and most importantly however, there just was no emotional connection there. A true driver's car should give you that in spades and you should feel it instantaneously. I went in truly wanting to love the MS but came away feeling indifferent toward it. Buying one struck me as more of a status symbol purchase: almost as if I'd be buying an iPad Pro on wheels. The Roadster seems to be everything that car isn't. And I can't wait!

@ecarfan / @MileHighMotoring, much respect to you both for being members of the 2-model club (with child #3 on pre-order per your sigs)! There's no doubt the MS is arguably one of the best vehicle in the world... if that's the kind of car your looking for. Compared to the Roadster, it's highly refined and technologically superior... but to me, lacked a soul. Both cars certainly have their merits: one being a nimble sports car that challenges and rewards you while driving it and the other a high end luxury car with amazing engineering and creature comforts that drives for you. The fact that you own both is a testament to your appreciation of each car's characteristics. That said, may I ask...

...if you had to choose between the two, which one would you keep?

[QUOTE="
...if you had to choose between the two, which one would you keep?[/QUOTE]
@Roadster I also own and love both with a 3rd on the way...if I could only keep one it would be the Model S because of its practicality in life. If you only have one car it must be able to fit a medium size suitcase and other purchases/cargo. Supercharging is key for travel and the ability to take as passengers people who can't easily get in or out of the Roadster. Finally, the Model S is also really fun to drive and I personally think it has a lot of personality. Fortunately, we plan to keep both when the 3 arrives.

But @ViviV, your avatar... :D

52410.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: DeedWest and ViviV
I can thoroughly vouch for @Roadster 's claim regarding the Model S. After owning a 2.5 for awhile, I fell into a Signature Model S. Always loved the cars, and was thrilled to own one. Plenty of things made it enjoyable: the keyless entry, climate control while charging, Supercharging, impeccable upgraded audio system (I'm an audiophile), STEPPING into the car, vs. FALLING in with the Roadster, etc. just to name a few...
However, after six months, I missed the Roadster every day. The panoramic roof, while great, doesn't match being able to go topless in a Roadster. The suspension was my biggest issue...it was EXTREMELY comfortable, but I only craved that probably 8% of the time that I drove the Model S, which was on the last leg of a road trip. The other 92%? I missed the direct steering, rigid suspension, cornering, and SOUL that the Roadster has. You just can't expect that out of a 5,000 pound luxury boat...no matter how fast they make the acceleration. I'd pick even a base Roadster's 3.9-4.7 sec. acceleration based on conditions over a 2.5 second-to-60 Model S any day.

Long story short I'm back in a Roadster and I won't be switching back anytime soon.

I am also not married, so I understand the opposite point of view regarding practicality in having a giant car that can long-distance travel & is smooth. However...I'm obsessed, so I'll prefer traveling the country 4X slower in the Roadster, utilizing RV parks and 50 Amp plugs. :D

I'll agree that a sports car is a different driving experience than a large sedan, to be sure. But that's like saying your small 800 sq ft studio country cottage in Tuscany has more character/passion/magic/thrill than your 8,000 sq ft suburban home in middle America. I know where I like to vacation (Roadster) and I know where I want to spend the bulk of my time (Model S). But, who cares what anyone else thinks? We're all living the dream owning any of these cars, we're all winning.

Last edited:
But @ViviV, your avatar... :D

52410.jpg
Haha. @Roadster I have always said I don't like convertibles because my hair might get all messed up and here I am excited for warmer weather to come again so I can take the top off. Until Model S 4 years ago I cared little about cars (of any type); now I can't wait until Atco Raceway opens again in the spring so I can drag race my husband in the Model S [by the numbers I am supposed to win, but I don't know...I'll need some drag racing tips from the experts]. As much as I am super excited for the Model 3 to be released this year (after all I did camp out in the freezing cold and was 5th in line at Devon PA so I reserved in the first 5 minutes of 3/31), I am somewhat torn at the prospect of not driving Ele (Roadster) to work every day. I will be both ecstatic and sad at the same time at having to choose which one to drive, and of course which one will be my Avatar. I guess that is not a bad position to be in ;)

We also have a Roadster (my daily driver), a "classic" Model S (my wife's daily driver), and a reservation for a ≡ .

I am debating what we will do when the ≡ is available - will we sell the Roadster or Model S, will we give one to one of our kids, ...? Will we forego the ≡ and get the battery upgrade for the Roadster?

What a blessed position to be in.

@spiderguy - Hope you held onto that air-cooled 993T! BTW, where's that photo of your quintuplets in their crib? Your Roadster family has been waiting for months to see pictures of the kids so pls share!

Hey Roadster,

I think you're making a great choice with the Roadster. It's such a fun little car and is destined to be very collectible (at some point!) With regards to photos of the quintuplets, I actually don't have a shot with all 4 of them together, since they are in different homes. However, here's a couple of separate shots:

IMG_1137.JPG

The first 2, yellow and blue

tr10.jpg

On a drive with the green and black (on the end) and yellow.

I drive a Roadster daily and they are great fun. However, nothing beats the practicality of a Model S. It would be difficult to say that one car is "better" than the other; they simply have different purposes.

With regards to your first question, I sold the 993 Turbo about a year ago. Prices on these Porsches peaked about 9 months ago and collectible Porsches have declined significantly (as have most other collectible cars).

No, it was a 1.8L 914-4. I bought it fresh out of college and didn't have much money. Wikipedia claims that it had 63kW and 12.0s 0-100km/hr, which sounds about right. So more than 3x less power and 3x less acceleration than the Roadster.

It was very fun to drive once you got it moving, and like the Roadster it had soul. But it was always broken and had serious rust problems. I'm happy to have upgraded to the Roadster.

I came into this thread late, but here is my 2 cents anyway. I have owned over 20 sports cars in my life, and the Roadster is the best driving experience I have had. A close second was my Acura NSX-T.

The only negatives have already been pointed out here. The brakes are not powerful enough for just how fast this car can go. It's really easy to not realize just how fast you are accelerating and you need big brakes to compensate for those mistakes.

Probably one of the biggest factors in owning a Roadster is just how rare it is. There are ten times more Ferrari 360's on the road than there are Roadsters. In fact, most of the major Ferrari models (355, 360, 430, etc) had a production run each of nearly 10 times as many Roadsters as there are in the world. So, just think how rare it is to see a Ferrari out on the road, and realize it's orders of magnitude more rare to see a Roadster. I drive mine in about five parades a year, and it always gets a great reaction. It's also very popular at car shows.

Personally, I believe the Roadster is going to become a major collector car. Once there are a half-million, or more, Tesla Model-3's on the road, the fame of this original vehicle will grow. I have owned some cars which later become collectible classics (Acura NSX, Ferrari 308, Beck 550, Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, Gen-3 RX7) and, to me, the Roadster just seems destined to grow in fame and desirability as time moves on.

Last edited:
For the last Forever-weeks it's been raining in sunny California, with flooding & downed trees and road closures so my Roadster was safely at home and I was forced to commute with my gas car (first world problems).

Finally when it let up, I was driving with the familiar door creeks and such, I realized how much I missed this car. My gas car is just fine - nice even. Quiet, full of modern gadgets and such. Etc etc.

Nothing beats the uniqueness of the roadster.

Which reminds me, yesterday I pull out of the parking lot, I end up following another Roadster of essentially the same color. A light or 2 later I pulled up next to him just because how often does this happen? Never :)

Probably one of the biggest factors in owning a Roadster is just how rare it is.

Recently discovered that Texas has a public database of EV registrations by county. There are 16 Roadsters in the entire State of Texas. Only 3 are in Houston. I've seen and met the other two at shows. The chances of us ever randomly finding each other on the road are nil.

Reactions: John W. Ratcliff
Recently discovered that Texas has a public database of EV registrations by county. There are 16 Roadsters in the entire State of Texas. Only 3 are in Houston. I've seen and met the other two at shows. The chances of us ever randomly finding each other on the road are nil.
That data is terribly inaccurate for Roadsters. I don't think they used consistent make/model abbreviations in the early days, and anything that comes from out of state likely used the originating state's abbreviation. I know there are at least twice as many Roadsters in Austin as the reports indicate.

• Informative
Reactions: Tex EV
Which reminds me, yesterday I pull out of the parking lot, I end up following another Roadster of essentially the same color. A light or 2 later I pulled up next to him just because how often does this happen? Never :)

I would faint if that happened to me. The nearest Roadster is 85 miles away. I've had Roadsters stop and visit including one from Switzerland (and others from Montreal, Boston, NY, DC, and VA). I would love to see one randomly on the road. If it ever happens I'll have to pinch myself.