Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

map updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am taking my S85 to Conroe TX today for drive unit humming and I'm going to make them check this and hopefully push an update. I don't think my maps have ever been updated since 3/2014 as they don't have Grand Parkway in west Houston on their map and it has been open a good while now. I am on wifi every night at home. It is frustrating that I paid an extra $3000 or so for the tech pack for navigation and it is outdated and doesn't work as well as my phone.

As I understand it's not Tesla. Navigon simply hasn't kept up to date on its map set. The St. Louis Musial/Veterans' bridge still isn't there either, after 18+ months of carrying I-70 over the Mississippi. Tesla told me they've sent my feedback to them for the next update, but that it's out of their control (aside from putting in a better navigation provider).

As I understand it's not Tesla. Navigon simply hasn't kept up to date on its map set. The St. Louis Musial/Veterans' bridge still isn't there either, after 18+ months of carrying I-70 over the Mississippi. Tesla told me they've sent my feedback to them for the next update, but that it's out of their control (aside from putting in a better navigation provider).
I'm not convinced that's true. I have the Navigon app. The map data are updated quarterly and I find it to quite current despite numerous construction projects adding roads in my area. Isn't this Musial/Veterans' bridge?

a29731d4b03e136efd9d36a46b0ba204.jpg

Yes, that's the bridge.

Perhaps Navigon hasn't packaged the maps for Tesla recently, then.

Honestly, I don't know who to blame. Tesla logged into the car and says that I have the latest maps provided to them by Navigon, and that Navigon is to blame. But if the Navigon app has the bridge, then the delay is in repackaging for Tesla, or something else.

Seeing the Ross Island Bridge in Lake Jankardia, err, Portland is also fun. It's randomly drawn in oversized white with a yellow border...
Another example is the offramp that gets you to the Tesla supercharger in Centralia. Reality does not match what the nav shows you.
I think this is a total cop-out by Tesla. They sold us a promise of regular map updates as part of the tech package. And they are not delivering.

That doesn't sound right. I have another Navigon device, and its map set is dated Q2/2015. I have to update its maps every 3 months or so (looks like they claim "Up to" 4 times per year).

I haven't received a map update in the Tesla since I purchased the vehicle in 2013. I'd be awfully surprised if there wasn't one available.

Edit: FYI, I checked out of curiosity and the latest Navigon maps do have the Veteran's Bridge.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound right. I have another Navigon device, and its map set is dated Q2/2015. I have to update its maps every 3 months or so (looks like they claim "Up to" 4 times per year).

I haven't received a map update in the Tesla since I purchased the vehicle in 2013. I'd be awfully surprised if there wasn't one available.

There are updates from Navigon. Question is if Tesla paid to get them. Now the interesting thing is that I paid Tesla to get them. Which means we have a problem.

BTW: I heard rumors that part of this whole problem was that Tesla wanted to move away from Navigon for their navigation and instead implement their own navigation app. I have tried to get more information on that but as usual no one is willing to answer any questions...

There are updates from Navigon. Question is if Tesla paid to get them. Now the interesting thing is that I paid Tesla to get them. Which means we have a problem.

BTW: I heard rumors that part of this whole problem was that Tesla wanted to move away from Navigon for their navigation and instead implement their own navigation app. I have tried to get more information on that but as usual no one is willing to answer any questions...
The problem is they'd need to source map data from somewhere. Waze was interesting in that the maps were user-generated, but then Google purchased them. I doubt there's enough Tesla on the road right now to replicate that effort. There's OpenStreetMaps, but they're not the best. If they are developing their own solution, we're the ones stuck without map updates while they sort it out, which sucks. Worse, awhile back some people got updates and others (myself included) didn't. We should at least be getting the yearly updates we were promised while they do whatever it is they have planned.

The problem is they'd need to source map data from somewhere. Waze was interesting in that the maps were user-generated, but then Google purchased them. I doubt there's enough Tesla on the road right now to replicate that effort. There's OpenStreetMaps, but they're not the best. If they are developing their own solution, we're the ones stuck without map updates while they sort it out, which sucks. Worse, awhile back some people got updates and others (myself included) didn't. We should at least be getting the yearly updates we were promised while they do whatever it is they have planned.
They have a contract with Google for map data. See the big screen in your car :)
But yes, my point was that they promised to update the map data and they aren't.

They have a contract with Google for map data. See the big screen in your car :)

Sounds like you're confusing "map data" with "navigation data". The former controls the map tiles that load on the main screen and are indeed contracted through Google (thus, updated quite frequently)

What most people take issue with is the navigation data that controls your route through the Google data, which is provided by Navigon. This seems to be significantly out of date for most regions, often resulting in some pretty crazy (or downright incorrect) navigation instructions as the two datasets try to reconcile their respective information into a coherent set of instructions.

It's actually not too bad for my area but when I traveled across the country I ran into some really hairy info.

The Navigon maps are sorely out of date. A highway extension ( HWY404 ) north of me was opened two years ago and it is not on it. Also last week I drove along a highway in North Carolina which was not on the map. I wish Tesla would get rid of Navigon and switch to a far superior program like iGo Primo. Their map updates are simple files. Never mind that we need waypoints and road type selection capability as all cheap GPS units have.

The Navigon maps are sorely out of date. A highway extension ( HWY404 ) north of me was opened two years ago and it is not on it. Also last week I drove along a highway in North Carolina which was not on the map. I wish Tesla would get rid of Navigon and switch to a far superior program like iGo Primo. Their map updates are simple files. Never mind that we need waypoints and road type selection capability as all cheap GPS units have.

All the maps that come with cars are always out of date. The Google map in the Model S is probably the best for being current.

I've always found it surprising that, when a new road is opened, SatNav seeing that the car is driving across "fields"!! does not cause data to be uploaded to somewhere central, and then within a short period of time, assuming lots of cars with trip-recording SatNav are also driving that new road, the map is then updated.

Lots that could be done with trip-recording SatNav. My average speed on sections of road, along with everyone else's, would establish a good average speed for that section; perhaps even for certain times of the day. Google has that sort of information, so maybe it does use trip-recording GPS data, but it certainly doesn't have accurate times for my Rat-run shortcuts locally. Surely trip-recording GPS data would make those rat-runs become apparent and useful (might not be of benefit to me to have to share mine though!!). Out in the country my SatNav says "Turn left in 100 yards" and when I get there it turns out that I have priority, and the road joining from the right has to yield; I presume that the maps being used don't indicate whether either route has priority for such country lanes. If the SatNav detected whether vehicles stop, or not, at that junction if turning Right and if turning Left that would indicate what the correct priority is for the junction, and the SatNav could phone-home with the information. Narrow country roads, where cars frequently stop (to let others past), or on extremely narrow roads where cars back-up, would indicate a route not really suitable as a short-cut.

I'd get much better arrival times based on my driving style, and the average speeds of the roads. For roads that I drive often my own segment times, even if above the speed limit, would be useful in determining arrival time. I'm sure there are better solutions (Tesla + Google Maps for example :) ) but my VW Golf has an utterly useless SatNav (I'm surprised given their "vorsprung durch technik" that the Germans aren't ashamed of whatever brand of SatNav software it is that they have chosen & installed in their cars). "Stay on this road for a long time" (I get that if it is more than about 20 miles ...) and "Turn right in 100 yards at the second" are examples of directions that could definitely be improved! but for a 2.5 hours journey, on highways where speed limit is likely to be attained for pretty much the whole journey, and which I stick to, it can estimate as much as a 4 hour journey time. Other people I know resort to having a TomTom in addition to the plumbed-in dashboard SatNav - which is a daft solution to have to adopt, and I can't believe that something isn't logging GPS locations and calculating speed ... and phoning home, improving maps and sector time estimates.