Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does the trunk work on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
m3trunk.jpg

You mean shallow front to back? It seems fairly deep to me, but depending on the angle the actual opening looks shallow, but Elon said that they were going to work on making it bigger.
I think he is saying the opening is shallow front to back, which is fairly obvious from the picture. The trunk may not necessarily be shallow.

Having a shallow opening causes issues when loading large boxes (or something like a cooler). Basically the box can fit inside the trunk, but because of the shallow opening, it can't get in (it gets stuck on the top edge of the opening and the bottom edge lip).

There are two possible solutions:
1) Make the opening less shallow by shaving off the glass (as shown by marcmailer's pictures)
2) Lower or eliminate the lower lip (however I suspect there must be some lip or it can't seal properly).

I would prefer a hatch, but trunk is not a deal breaker. My biggest issue/concern with the trunk as-is, is to me the parcel shelf (or whatever you want to call it) is just so much wasted space. I assume it is fixed into place, so even though the seats could fold down, you couldn't have any taller items there.

Other concern, while seemingly minor, is that glass way down at the bottom is going to be a pain to clean. I don't know the distance from the headrest to the base of the window, but its got to be a stretch.
model3-trunk-adjusted.jpg

Other concern, while seemingly minor, is that glass way down at the bottom is going to be a pain to clean. I don't know the distance from the headrest to the base of the window, but its got to be a stretch.
View attachment 170834

Yeah. It's bad enough in my Sonata. I can only imagine what a PITA this glass is going to be to clean. And as cool as it looks, there's so MUCH of it.

My apologies if this has come up already (I don't want to read all 11 pages just to post this quick message) but the Model 3 prototypes definitely have a normal trunk not a hatch/liftback like the Model S...
In other words, non-bending glass combined with a very short trunk lid top and a relatively small opening.
Thanks. That is basically what this entire thread is about. But you have summarized it well. ;-)

I would prefer a hatch, but trunk is not a deal breaker. My biggest issue/concern with the trunk as-is, is to me the parcel shelf (or whatever you want to call it) is just so much wasted space. I assume it is fixed into place, so even though the seats could fold down, you couldn't have any taller items there.

View attachment 170834
Not that Tesla necessarily does things like other auto-makers (thank God), but are there any examples of non-hatchback sedans that have a removable rear deck (or parcel shelf)? I haven't owned a sedan for a very long time (1985?) but on that car, the rear deck was definitely not removable, that's where I had my Jensen 16x9s!

Since Elon has said it will not be a HATCHBACK, there is still a possible that there may be a pass-through from the trunk to rear seats so you can get something thru like skis.
_________
Don't forget to post your reservation information on Model3Tracker.info .

Since Elon has said it will not be a HATCHBACK, there is still a possible that there may be a pass-through from the trunk to rear seats so you can get something thru like skis.

Considering he said that you can fit a 7' surf board in I am sure that the seats fold down and provide a pass-through. (But it looks like it will be quite the tunnel.)

View attachment 170834

Without the parcel shelf and a larger opening, it might be possible to put a dog back there and it still not be a hatchback. Other than the Model Y coming sooner that is now my hope.

Without the parcel shelf and a larger opening, it might be possible to put a dog back there and it still not be a hatchback. Other than the Model Y coming sooner that is now my hope.

I highly doubt that the parcel shelf will go away. And you would still have to have a cross support to hold up the seats unless they went with seats like the Model X. (Which they won't because of cost.) That would just be weird...

I highly doubt that the parcel shelf will go away. And you would still have to have a cross support to hold up the seats unless they went with seats like the Model X. (Which they won't because of cost.) That would just be weird...
They can have the seats be supported like in Model S where it is mostly to the side (instead of having a beam). The cross beam for the car in general can be reduced in size and scooted back to make way for a removal parcel shelf.

However, it probably won't net a whole lot more space (there is probably a limit to how far they can move it back).