Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does this bid sound for a garage outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have liked a parts/labor breakdown. What do you folks think?

ITEM DESCRIPTION Total

Bid Run a new 50A circuit from the existing 200A panel. Consolidate circuits using quads and tandem breakers to make room (Cuttler Hammer 50/20 and 20A tandems). Use conduit inside the garage on the wall and provide a Nema 14-50 receptacle.

Sales Tax 0.00

$520.00

I would have liked a parts/labor breakdown. What do you folks think?

ITEM DESCRIPTION Total

Bid Run a new 50A circuit from the existing 200A panel. Consolidate circuits using quads and tandem breakers to make room (Cuttler Hammer 50/20 and 20A tandems). Use conduit inside the garage on the wall and provide a Nema 14-50 receptacle.

Sales Tax 0.00

$520.00
How long is the wire run?

The primary cost in these installations is labor and permitting -- where do I have to crawl, drill, finagle, coerce, cough-up-insulation, battle a 200-cell paper wasp nest, coordinate with a hopelessly busy inspector, etc. A 20' installation where fishing and drilling firewalls and such is required is likely to be more expensive than a 100' straight attic or basement joist run.

Whether 6/3 Romex or 3x6AWG+1x10AWG THHN or even 4x6 AWG THHN, the retail cost is between $2.50 and $3/ft for the wire.

Given the description $520 seems perfectly reasonable.

If it is parts & labor it is fair. I think I paid $450. Most of the cost is the labor. I also asked that they use wiring that could handle 100 A so that if I decided to install an HPWC later, they wouldn't have to run new wiring - just upgrade the circuit breaker.

As others have said, it looks reasonable based on distance and complexity. It sounds like a bit less than a day of labor. I'm sure you could find a cheaper bid if you worked at it, but not substantially lower. Personally, I'd take it.