Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Early is too Early to get the Y

How concerned are you about first production Model Y?

• I'll take the Y as soon as I can get it

Votes: 122 45.2%
  • I prefer Tesla practice building the Y a bit before make the purchase

Votes: 114 42.2%
  • I have not decided if I will take early production

Votes: 34 12.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered, Tesla has worked on the Roadster, S, X, 3 and now the Y, I think they have it down by now.

SDRick, see ya at the delivery center, Miramar.

Fred

Early production on the first four cars was not good. I'm pretty sure that the first 10 model X delivered at the launch presentation were made from paper mâché and bubble gum.

But I do agree that the Y, if not improved significantly from the model 3, could have good initial quality.

Considered reserving, but will wait until I hear about the full options and production specs. Rule of thumb is to wait for roughly the first year production to ensure there's nothing glaringly wrong with the design (as has been suggested with virtually all cars). If all goes well, the first in 2021. Replacing a Subaru Forester with a Y, and mulling over options with my S. I'm not sure I want to give up the sunroof and comforts that are with the S, but would prefer the smaller Y. I'm also curious to hear what Musk has down the line in 2020 given he's alluded to technical advances.

If the decision is to wait a year from initial production. You might as well pre-order now. Assuming they start production in March, you probably won't get yours until March of 2021. Do I know this as a fact, no, but pre-ordering now is not going to get you one next summer. If they actually start volume production in April of 2020, and can make about 1000 / week, which was the goal for Model 3 production for a very long time. That would be 52,000 model Y's made in the first year. I would guess they have more than 52,000 Model Y pre-orders right now.

If the decision is to wait a year from initial production. You might as well pre-order now. Assuming they start production in March, you probably won't get yours until March of 2021. Do I know this as a fact, no, but pre-ordering now is not going to get you one next summer. If they actually start volume production in April of 2020, and can make about 1000 / week, which was the goal for Model 3 production for a very long time. That would be 52,000 model Y's made in the first year. I would guess they have more than 52,000 Model Y pre-orders right now.

While I'd agree that a USA/Canada order placed now is highly unlikely to be delivered in the first half of next year, and unlikely in the 3rd quarter, people ordering a LR/AWD might see delivery Q4.
I think Q4 production will be running at rates well above 3K/week, and virtually all China demand will be fulfilled locally instead of shipped from California.

Reactions: gecko10x
I ordered and configured on the first day just like I did for the Model 3. Since I am a nobody, by the time I was able to get my M3, the seats were already the improved design. For the MY, I did drop FSD from my original configuration since Autopilot is included and I am trying to get the Performance model to fit within a budget. This car will replace my 2014 BMW 535i which has been an amazing and basically trouble free vehicle.

Tesla has gone through the mass production pains and learned from it. Combine that with it mostly being a Model 3, then it's not a completely new car like the 3

They learned a lot from model S, and yet model 3 had a lot of issues when it first released.

That said, my friend's silver (2018) model 3 has less issues with tailight fitment than my 2019. So YMMV.