Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How fast did Model S ruin you for ICE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like I'm an outlier here. It hasn't ruined ICE cars for me. While I'm happy to drive the Tesla, I'm also quite happy to drive my BMW too. The Tesla is great, but its a very big, very heavy car, and while it hides its weight well physics gets in the way with over an extra half ton on board. I also love being more involved in the driving with my 3 pedals and the great engine note. Having a quiet car is nice, but the sound from a good engine is wonderful.

Finally of course, there is the fact that I can still do a 500 mile roadtrip much faster in my ICE than in a Tesla, even if there are convenient superchargers.

You need a Roadster. ;-) That'll solve everything except the road trips, there are rental cars for that if you really don't like the superchargers.

So I picked my P90DL up a week ago. I hadn't driven anything else for the first 5 days, but then drove my wife's X5 diesel, which has been a great car for us. Annnnnnd ruined. It's such an immense difference in so many small driving dynamics ways that it's already ruined driving my very nice other vehicle for me. The instant power, the lack of gears, the overall response... honestly, just the feeling that I can command the car and it'll MOVE... it's so impressive (and perhaps more so in ludicrous mode even at higher speeds) and so effortless that it just feels like an enormous drag to drive the diesel. Which is too bad because again, she's a great car.

At first I was almost talking myself out of how cool the car was. Not quite buyer's remorse, but just "how much better is this really?" And then I went back to the X5 and it's... transformative. It's simply so much better a ride than anything I've ever driven, so much faster and more fun. It's wild. I love this thing.

How long did it take you to be completely ruined by this ride? (And if you still occasionally have to drive an ICE vehicle, what's been ruined for you?)

I felt this way at the beginning. and on the surface, it's true the electric driving experience trumps ICE by a good margin.

but over the past year or so I've changed my stance a bit. even went out and bought a new Range Rover Sport with the gas-mileage equivalent of the Exxon Valdez. and i love it.

i guess it's the same reason i enjoy vintage watches (chronographs) even though there are digital watches out there that keep much better (perfect) time. there's a certain nostalgia and hand-crafted appreciation i have for, say, a flax-6 boxer engine from Porsche.

add to that the fact that I don't trust my Tesla nearly as much as I do my Range Rover (due to drive unit failures, 12v battery failures, any failure really that has or will certainly happen) and for me, it's not black and white.

You need a Roadster. ;-) That'll solve everything except the road trips, there are rental cars for that if you really don't like the superchargers.

Except the roadster doesn't seat 4.

While the roadster is technically impressive, it still weighs almost 1000lbs more than the Lotus, and thats after alot of additional effort to save weight. Its still doesn't make much noise, and it lacks a clutch pedal.

Every time I have to drive my wife's Porsche it feels like I'm driving a car from the 1980s! (her car is a 2016) I find myself complaining about turning the ignition, engine noise, lack of instant power, stopping at smelly gas stations, locking the car, tiny center screen, and lack of autopilot! I could go on, you get the idea, I'm ruined forever :)

Tesla gave me a loaded BMW 7 series as loaner yesterday (year end window dressing, all the service loaners are being sold).
I appreciated the quality of the interior materials, the fit and finish, the opulence of the car.
And then I turned it on. And started driving. And wanted to weep.

I have this same experience (usually without the part about appreciating anything... most rentals aren't that nice) whenever I'm forced to drive an ICE.

I left my ICE behind immediately after the test drive. My wife even said, "let's order the Tesla now," after the test drive! Believe me, she is not a car nut, but loves this car.

Since I intend to keep the Model S for quite awhile, and given what developments will occur in the meantime, I seriously doubt I will ever drive an ICE car again in my lifetime.

By the way, if you are worried about how the electricity is generated for your "zero emissions" vehicle, go solar! Tax credit has just been extended and you can go completely emissions free with a solar lease and pay nothing upfront. I did anyway.

The closest experience I can relate that is analogous to driving the Tesla happened to me when I was about 15 years old.

In 1984, like every other kid growing up then, I listened to 80s music. The Sony Walkman had made it's debut, and everyone had one, and every 80s band had their cassette tapes flying off the shelves of every music store.

Then I walked into a music store one day and they had a brand new device -- a Toshiba portable compact disc player. The salesman put some very nice headphones on me and put in the first song I ever heard from CD -- Dire Straits "Money for Nothing".

The improvement over cassette playback was so ridiculous, I couldn't believe it. All of the background hiss was gone. The impact of the percussion was palpable, even through headphones. Individual snare drum hits were delivered with clarity I had never heard before. Entire swaths of the frequency spectrum, especially in the bright mids to highs, were dancing around my head. No tape playback ever came close.

I bought it about a week later, along with 5 or 6 brand-new CDs.

I never bought a cassette player or a single cassette ever again. Every time I heard one from then on it sounded muddled and flat, like wallowing in mud. I had been ruined -- I couldn't listen to anyone else's audio system, even very nice ones.

This was exactly my experience on the Tesla test drive and first few days of ownership. I can't drive an ICE anymore.

Once you've experienced something that is so superior, it's impossible to not notice the flaws and limitations of what you were once satisfied with because you didn't know any better.

I drove my MB GL63 yesterday and my Ferrari California as my T is in the shop for a few minor things, incl software update. I couldn't believe how clunky and awkward the Ferrari felt! The engine, which I used to love the sound of, just sounded off to me. Don't even get me started on how awful that big SUV was to drive. And I also used to love the sound of that big AMG V8. It's time to sell the Ferrari. Sigh. Damn you, Tesla. :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Good points. The size/weight of the MS is the only thing I don't like about it. I'm sure it contributes to the smoothness, quiet, rock solid feel, etc. but it is not nimble. That issue is enough to create a little itch for me to own a "weekend car" such as an F-car or Porsche GT3.
I find the Tesla to be very nimble. The instant acceleration with no ICE hesitation makes it so nimble to me. Maybe you will see that once your L upgrade comes in? I do have a Ferrari for sale, if not...

The closest experience I can relate that is analogous to driving the Tesla happened to me when I was about 15 years old.

In 1984, like every other kid growing up then, I listened to 80s music. The Sony Walkman had made it's debut, and everyone had one, and every 80s band had their cassette tapes flying off the shelves of every music store.

Then I walked into a music store one day and they had a brand new device -- a Toshiba portable compact disc player. The salesman put some very nice headphones on me and put in the first song I ever heard from CD -- Dire Straits "Money for Nothing".

The improvement over cassette playback was so ridiculous, I couldn't believe it. All of the background hiss was gone. The impact of the percussion was palpable, even through headphones. Individual snare drum hits were delivered with clarity I had never heard before. Entire swaths of the frequency spectrum, especially in the bright mids to highs, were dancing around my head. No tape playback ever came close.

I bought it about a week later, along with 5 or 6 brand-new CDs.

I never bought a cassette player or a single cassette ever again. Every time I heard one from then on it sounded muddled and flat, like wallowing in mud. I had been ruined -- I couldn't listen to anyone else's audio system, even very nice ones.

This was exactly my experience on the Tesla test drive and first few days of ownership. I can't drive an ICE anymore.

Once you've experienced something that is so superior, it's impossible to not notice the flaws and limitations of what you were once satisfied with because you didn't know any better.

LOL... I have nearly that exact same memory about going from tapes to CDs... great analogy really. One you've experienced the new tech it's so painful to go back to the old. :)

2 days for me.

When I park my wife's Pathfinder now, I press the windshield washer button and step out of the car. Then step back in after remembering to press the Off button. :biggrin:

Good lord... I'm constantly engaging the windshield wipers in my wife's FX35 trying to put it in gear. Glad I'm not alone here.

We have an Infiniti FX35 as our other car. Currently it's an expensive car seat storage unit so the Model S doesn't get impressions in the leather from the car seats. It's not a bad vehicle by any measure. It handles amazingly well for an SUV, has a comfortable compliant ride and a nice interior but living in the hills, it's just feels so archaic to drive now. Constant up and downshifts, the need for the engine to wind into it's power band to make enough power to get up hills and the fact that it's loud while it's doing it are all check marks in the negatives column.

But here's what really ruins it for me every time we need to choose what to drive. I look at the Infiniti and I think to myself, I can take that, enjoy my drive less AND pay money in the form of fuel for the pleasure or I can simply take the Tesla. And so there it sits, covered in a layer of dust.

I guess I'm one of the very few outliers. My other ICE is a '02 BMW M5 which during the winter more than my Model S. Or if we're going into a sketchy town for a movie or dinner (i.e. Stamford ;) ).. I'll take the M5. While still a 5.0liter V8 ICE, it's a blast to drive - and handles much like my Model S. The MS definitely has not ruined my ICE for me.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine bought a 80's or 90's era Porsche 911 Carerra X (I think? --- the AWD model)... and while it was definitely showing it's age in terms of the dials and interior styling of that era, damn, that car was fun to drive!! It made me even consider, somewhere down the line, someday, getting back into the BMW Z4 I sold to buy the Model S. I saw a gorgeous red one just the other day. Swooooon.

If you're talking regular family sedans or SUVs, yeah, there's nothing special there in ICEs.. but specialty cars, like performance sports sedans and small convertibles, I think they still have a place for enjoyment right next to the Model S. Surely, if I had more garage space, I'd own one more two other ICEs.

But that's just me.

I guess I'm one of the very few outliers. My other ICE is a '02 BMW M5 which during the winter more than my Model S. Or if we're going into a sketchy town for a movie or dinner (i.e. Stamford ;) ).. I'll take the M5. While still a 5.0liter V8 ICE, it's a blast to drive - and handles much like my Model S. The MS definitely has not ruined my ICE for me.

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine bought a 80's or 90's era Porsche 911 Carerra X (I think? --- the AWD model)... and while it was definitely showing it's age in terms of the dials and interior styling of that era, damn, that car was fun to drive!! It made me even consider, somewhere down the line, someday, getting back into the BMW Z4 I sold to buy the Model S. I saw a gorgeous red one just the other day. Swooooon.

If you're talking regular family sedans or SUVs, yeah, there's nothing special there in ICEs.. but specialty cars, like performance sports sedans and small convertibles, I think they still have a place for enjoyment right next to the Model S. Surely, if I had more garage space, I'd own one more two other ICEs.

But that's just me.

For sports cars I'm right there with you. I had a 470hp BMW 535 before this, a 2006 M5 and almost pulled the trigger on a Cayman this past July. The Tesla doesn't replace the fun of those cars. Plus the Tesla is sort of a one trick pony in the speed department. It's a hole shot car that falls on it's face at higher speeds. There's a reason none of the P85D/ P90D vs the world videos show any roll races.

It was before I owned Miss Pearlie May.
It was even before the test drive.
It was while I was under the gas tank of my son's (free) '90s era Town Car, cardboard and rags under me, rapping the 'docking ring' of the gas pump to loosen it so I could remove and replace it.
While being bathed in the heavy fumes from the opening. While fearing creating a spark that would bring on a world of hurt.
Dreading taking a wrench to the tank supports and dropping it if I couldn't get the deed accomplished from underneath (ugh the fumez).
After the ordeal of siphoning out enough GasOmoLine to operate on said fuel pump, and trying to figure out what to do with that excess volatile carcinogenical dino juice. Ugh. UGH!

Said I, "No More!!" and meant it, solely from knowing that such a thing as a Model S even existed. My next car would be Electric.

After getting the Model S, I don't see myself going back to an ICE for a family car.

We downsized my wife's SUV for a smaller ICE. We considered the leaf, but with her daily commute, it would've been tighter than we would have liked, so we'll likely upgrade her ICE to the Model 3 in a few years.