Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How important are regen settings in snow and ice ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, kicking out the rear end, using throttle-steering and letting the car do a little sliding on turns is fine as long as it's predictable. Will have to test it when the roads get slick.
All depends on the physics of the unique situation.

Might help, might be awful depending on tires, state of regen, temperature, grade, travel uphill or downhill, snow/ice conditions and temp, etc.

❄️❄️❄️🏔️

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

How does the current regen setting do when in very slick scenarios with Sumer tires? Decent winter tires?
Does AWD VS RWD matter in regards to how regen specifically reacts on slick surfaces?

People who do a Lot of driving in snow and ice, Is this factor possibly overstated in the threads I have read that it can create issues VS being able to completely turn regen off in that scenario?
I have driven a Tesla in Minnesota for 12 winters.
I have had RWD and AWD cars and have used winter tires every winter.
I have experienced no issues with Teslas regen ever. I almost always had the regen set to it’s normal setting.

My suspicion is that people that have experienced issues are using summer, performance, or perhaps all season tires.

I don’t drive like granny, nor a race car driver.

Hope that is helpful.

Cars in general have become less predictable in those conditions as manufacturers have added more, but not always well engineered, traction and stability control systems. My Outlander was ridiculous, it wouldn't give any power when the steering was turned and there was any kind of slipping. Made some situations crossing traffic dangerous. The Subarus I had were better and had an option to leave a little bit more wiggle room. My Model 3 was ridiculous on the first year, to the point that I almost regretted my decision. It would drastically limit power too. It got acceptable later, maybe a software update or the boost.
I do understand that some people prefer no slipping at all. The solution then is to drive slower than available grip. That includes braking slowly, so not letting go of the accelerator to get full regen in one go.

I have driven a Tesla in Minnesota for 12 winters.
I have had RWD and AWD cars and have used winter tires every winter.
I have experienced no issues with Teslas regen ever. I almost always had the regen set to it’s normal setting.

My suspicion is that people that have experienced issues are using summer, performance, or perhaps all season tires.

I don’t drive like granny, nor a race car driver.

Hope that is helpful.
I invite you to come to the left coast side of NA and try it out on our rapid changes in elevation on heavily trafficked ice covered mountain roads. What kind of grades are you referencing?

Downhill is not a fun proposition feeling a tire loose traction for any amount of time, especially when not expecting it. Being off line by a foot can change the outcome of your day quickly. I know my current vehicle excels there, but it doesn't incidentally lock its tires under its own control, and totally inspires confidence even in those conditions.

If anyone has intentionally tried to lose traction explicitly from regen on ice (to better understand how the system is reacting and what it will do), on common downhill highways with steep/Very steep grades around mountain passes, maybe even goat tracked highway roads where snow is falling and building up faster than it can be removed, would love to hear feedback.

Is that an issue where the car can step out unexpectedly? Obviously the pedal "can be" modulated to prohibit regen, but that's Not the question, can regen be so aggressive as to put a person off line and the problem "snowballing" out of control because the car was being too aggressive putting the driver off line even if briefly? Possibly before it detects a slip and changes to a snow mode setting, or even while within the automated snow mode period of time ?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I invite you to come to the left coast side of NA and try it out on our rapid changes in elevation on heavily trafficked ice covered mountain roads. What kind of grades are you referencing?

Downhill is not a fun proposition feeling a tire loose traction for any amount of time, especially when not expecting it. Being off line by a foot can change the outcome of your day quickly. I know my current vehicle excels there, but it doesn't incidentally lock its tires under its own control, and totally inspires confidence even in those conditions.

If anyone has intentionally tried to lose traction explicitly from regen on ice (to better understand how the system is reacting and what it will do), on common downhill highways with steep/Very steep grades around mountain passes, maybe even goat tracked highway roads where snow is falling and building up faster than it can be removed, would love to hear feedback.

Is that an issue where the car can step out unexpectedly? Obviously the pedal "can be" modulated to prohibit regen, but that's Not the question, can regen be so aggressive as to put a person off line and the problem "snowballing" out of control because the car was being too aggressive putting the driver off line even if briefly? Possibly before it detects a slip and changes to a snow mode setting, or even while within the automated snow mode period of time ?
Absolutely.

Yeah, as a skier, I hate driving down mountains at highway speeds, where the road seems a bit off-camber. Makes me uneasy.

Regen can definitely put it into a straight up full slide going down hill on winter roads. I switch my 3 to regen low and chill when I put on my winter tires (Nokian Hakka 9) early October and leave it that way until I take them off mid to late May.

Reactions: DrGriz

I live on a hillside and have a ~1000’ decent over 3-4 miles to get into town. Yes going downhill with regen set to Normal a sudden release of the accelerator will put the car into a full slide even in the best winter tires (I’m running Hakka 9’s). ABS is much more controllable/predictable.

I agree completely, different road conditions (in this case grade) can have different results.
The OP asked for people’s experiences. I gave mine.
I am not saying everyone’s experience will be the same, I am just sharing my experiences in my area.

Reactions: XPsionic and DrGriz
I think Model 3 regen has changed the last year, or maybe when they removed the option to select low regen, to more / too much on the rear motor, prioritizing efficiency over safety (going downhill on slippery conditions). I have been driving our Model 3 in slippery conditions lately and it reminds me of driving RWD Model S a decade ago, which is not a good thing.

Just experienced a very scary, unable to stop at low speeds on a hill, situation in the M3P. Admittedly driving on summer tires in snow but have never had an issue in the past until the other day. The car drove just fine, not issue climbing a very steep hill with untreated roads like a tank with almost no wheel spin, but then on the way down it was a different story. I was certain, and accepted, I was going to end up in someone's front yard. Despite going slow ( < 20mph ) there was just no stopping. Partially due to the tires, but I suspect partially due to the regen causing too much drag on the wheels for the conditions. Thankfully, kept cool and just focused on light modulations on the throttle and moving towards the center of the road where the snow had been driven over by some other cars and was able to slow to a stop. Not a fun situation though.

Just experienced a very scary, unable to stop at low speeds on a hill, situation in the M3P. Admittedly driving on summer tires in snow but have never had an issue in the past until the other day. The car drove just fine, not issue climbing a very steep hill with untreated roads like a tank with almost no wheel spin, but then on the way down it was a different story. I was certain, and accepted, I was going to end up in someone's front yard. Despite going slow ( < 20mph ) there was just no stopping. Partially due to the tires, but I suspect partially due to the regen causing too much drag on the wheels for the conditions. Thankfully, kept cool and just focused on light modulations on the throttle and moving towards the center of the road where the snow had been driven over by some other cars and was able to slow to a stop. Not a fun situation though.
100% that is tires. Summer tires in snow is just a bad time. Glad you are OK though!

As others have said, that's 100% the tires. Summer tires on pavement below 50 degrees is just foolish. Summer tires on snow is downright suicidal.

About a week ago I was driving my MYLR on roads with compacted snow with rain/frozen rain. This is pretty much as bad as it can get without being stuck.
IMO opinion, regen sucks while driving in these conditions. On the flip side, the traction control does an amazing job. I found the back end braking loose while going through round-a-bouts. I've only been driving my Tesla for a few weeks, and it's not natural to put your foot into the accelerator when you loose your back end. It's what is needed to reduce regen though.

About a week ago I was driving my MYLR on roads with compacted snow with rain/frozen rain. This is pretty much as bad as it can get without being stuck.
IMO opinion, regen sucks while driving in these conditions. On the flip side, the traction control does an amazing job. I found the back end braking loose while going through round-a-bouts. I've only been driving my Tesla for a few weeks, and it's not natural to put your foot into the accelerator when you loose your back end. It's what is needed to reduce regen though.
Try putting your car into off road mode in those conditions. You will find that it helps a lot to have the front wheels working for you before you break loose.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Try putting your car into off road mode in those conditions. You will find that it helps a lot to have the front wheels working for you before you break loose.
I'll give it a shot. I think I read off road mode disables tracking control though. If so, have you tried both, and which one works better? Having basically 4x4 without traction control, or mostly RWD with traction control?

Nah, it doesn't disable traction control. I tried it in snow here and thought it was still too restrictive for my taste.
Cool, thanks for the info. Okay, so then my next question is why not always have a Tesla in off road mode? I can if you are planning to accelerate hard, then you may want most of the torque/power going to the rear. But for day to day driving it would seem a 50/50 to front and back would be beneficial.

Cool, thanks for the info. Okay, so then my next question is why not always have a Tesla in off road mode? I can if you are planning to accelerate hard, then you may want most of the torque/power going to the rear. But for day to day driving it would seem a 50/50 to front and back would be beneficial.

Running both motors all the time uses extra energy. The normal strategy is for the rear permanent magnet motor to do the bulk of the work, as it’s more efficient than the front induction motor.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart