Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is Advanced AutoPilot supposed to operate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, new Tesla owner here. I recently purchased a 2018 Model 3 with Enhanced AutoPilot. I understand I can't use the pedestrian speaker to whoopee-cusion people anymore, but I have some questions about the Enhanced AutoPilot. I found the setting to allow it to change lanes automatically when on the highway, but yesterday when I was driving on our local turnpike it would alert me to wanting to change lanes, but seemed not to actually move over unless I applied some pressure to the steering wheel to seemingly "acknowledge" the lane change. Is this normal?

Also, does Telsa itself have any video manuals that go over how everything with EAP and FSD actually operate? I kind of feel like I just have to figure everything out for myself.

....Also, does Telsa itself have any video manuals that go over how everything with EAP and FSD actually operate? I kind of feel like I just have to figure everything out for myself.
Here is what they have, you can also access them for the Theater Mode in the car. Best to read the manual.

Reactions: TheRealTVGuy
We lovingly refer to our Autopilot as ’enabling drunk driver mode’. The way it weaves back and forth in wider lanes and jerks like a bucking bronco when trying to get on an entrance ramp or driving at speed on the interstate, does not instill confidence and if anything, marks you as a drunk driver.

Reactions: 2101Guy
drunk driver mode? meh. You got a good car there with EAP. Gotta learn how it works, and it takes a lot of practice getting adapted to it. There's a checkbox in the preferences that enables lane changes without "confirmation". If you ALSO get a "blue nag" to make you pay attention, then you have to apply a bit of torque to the steering wheel.

In fact there are a LOT of options. But once you make peace with the beast you two will work great together. It centers in wide lanes as they narrow, which seems odd but prevents another driver for sideswiping you on the right.

Last edited: