Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your drive today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to have slip start screen ready at all times. Any amount of hill and traction control would take away all the power and i’d just sit there. With slip start on I could get moving but would then have to turn it off to stop sliding around with too much acceleration. Got through it but wasn’t a smooth drive. RWD with x-ice tires.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dre78
AWD with Tesla winter tire package. Was fine for the drive. Snow wasn't too deep most places. Rear end would slide a bit on turns or sudden acceleration but would quickly stabilize (overall the car went where I wanted it to). Wasn't paying too close attention to the screen but I think I saw a yellow traction control icon at one point.

AWD with the Tesla 18” winter tire package. The drive from the Downtown core to north of Eglinton off Bathurst took about an hour which wasn’t too bad.
Snow was very deep in the side streets on which Waze took me but a light touch on the throttle kept the rear in line. I was never even remotely stuck but the tires are not particularly grippy.
Thank goodness for the AWD on some of the hills around Casa Loma as I don’t think I would have have had an easy time getting up the hill going North.
Wipers were ok - I switched regularly between auto and manual wipe. I needed to use a LOT of wiper fluid to keep the windshield clean / clear. The wiper blades are not great for heavy / sticky snow. The first wipe does a good job but then the second and third pass often mess things up.
Saw some crazy energy usage figures and ended up with an average of about 600 wh/km to travel the Apx 12 km 1 hour route. But i was comfortably charged from this morning, had the heater going at 20.5 and all was good.
Rear defroster does a nice job of keeping the back window clear.

I did notice when I got home and opened the frunk that there was a fair bit of snow under the frunk and around the thick rubber gasket. No snow actually in the frunk, just “around it” under the cover.

AWD with Tesla winter tire package. Was fine for the drive. Snow wasn't too deep most places. Rear end would slide a bit on turns or sudden acceleration but would quickly stabilize (overall the car went where I wanted it to). Wasn't paying too close attention to the screen but I think I saw a yellow traction control icon at one point.
Pretty much exact same experience I had. I still feel Tesla can tweak the AWD algorithm to limit the amount of rear end slippage in the AWD.

It would be nice if you could configure the traction control, off-sport-confort-sure footed like a mountain goat

Attachments

• Yuffgv2.gif
    Yuffgv2.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
Also AWD with Tesla winter tire package, drive was no problem, the back does like to swing out a bit on turns. Almost like they intentionally programed it to do that for the element of fun as it straighteneds out quickly on its own.

Pretty much exact same experience I had. I still feel Tesla can tweak the AWD algorithm to limit the amount of rear end slippage in the AWD.

It's RWD biased. That's how it's supposed to perform. Same as any performance AWD car.

• Informative
Also AWD with Tesla winter tire package, drive was no problem, the back does like to swing out a bit on turns. Almost like they intentionally programed it to do that for the element of fun as it straighteneds out quickly on its own.

Do you have it on CHILL mode? I've heard that helps with the backend swing. I don't mind it, but I hear CHILL helps if you don't like it.

Reactions: Sorabh
RWD with OEM winter tire package. All settings on standard. Drove home around 8 pm deep in the snow. Felt a little slippy at times but traction control kicked in without much scare. 40 km/h was probably the cap before it got a little risky but traffic was mostly sub-30 on 401 and local roads. The self limiting function works crazy well. Got up hills swerving (slowly) around where multiple sedans who got stuck like a obstacle course. Can't compete with those hot-spot AWD suvs though ramming through the sides at full speed though but I felt safe 100% of the ride back. Almost got stuck turning into the final small street, but it crawled its way through 25-30 cm of snow at about 3-5 km/hr...

I did notice when I got home and opened the frunk that there was a fair bit of snow under the frunk and around the thick rubber gasket. No snow actually in the frunk, just “around it” under the cover.

In my truck area there was ice along the rubber gasket. Almost couldn't open the trunk. The rear deforster melts the snow and water builds up along the trunk edges on the rubber seal and starts freezing.

Bad experience today, I was thinking to drive RX350 or Model 3 RWD. I finally took the Model 3, part of the reason is to test its behavior in extreme road conditions.

It almost got stuck in front of my kids school parking lot entrance. Lots of snow with steap uphill , the RWD starting slipping and look like going to stuck. I hardly turn the steel wheel to the right , with attempts I got off the stuck, but my experience is not good. We shall have AWD , damn because of rebate and end up a car which is useless in the winter. I will have to switch to RX later today,

BTW I have Tesla official winter tire package installed.

Mine is a 90D with X-Ice 3's on 19" rims. Car is a beast through the snow but I experienced a first...

Had about a foot of snow in the driveway this morning. Had to back the Tesla out to get at the snowblower. Snow was higher than the clearance of the car so for the first time, I had two tire tracks and the flattened marks of the undercarriage.

Also, the City didn't plow the driveway like they usually do put the street was plowed. Car went through the snow bank like nothing. Huge improvement over my RWD Lexus IS350.