Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How is your rear camera after MCU1 to MCU2 upgade (dark?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the Tesla camera doesn't have IR LEDs in it for night vision..and my backup picture got much darker and barely useable at night after the MCU2 upgrade, which does not touch / change the rear camera - so it is definitely a software / MCU2 compatibility issue, and not a camera issue

I agree it is a software issue. But after they came back and replaced my camera, things improved a little (see pictures/posts above). It is now only slightly better than unusable.

Reactions: besnova
I agree it is a software issue. But after they came back and replaced my camera, things improved a little (see pictures/posts above). It is now only slightly better than unusable.

My guess is there is a slightly different camera for the MCU2 / HW 2.5-3 OE vehicles, and that the cameras in the MCU1 / HW2 vehicles are not completely compatible, image-wise. So, using the later model camera helps, and a software patch should make it able to correctly process the image info with the newer computer. I'm just amazed that no one ever tests this stuff BEFORE they release it, to check for quirks...especially since this isn't a freebie, and you lose functionality without choice.

Just as a data point, I had MCU1/HW2.5 upgraded to MCU2/HW3.0 and the backup camera at night was not affected or better than before. I think the useless backup camera thing is for HW2.0 or older cars?

That seems to be correct. The upgrade from MCU1/HW2.0 to MCU2/HW3 definitely shows a huge reduction in the usability of the backup camera image - it is very dark, even with backup lights on, whereas it was almost like a daytime image prior to the upgrade.

Just as a data point, I had MCU1/HW2.5 upgraded to MCU2/HW3.0 and the backup camera at night was not affected or better than before. I think the useless backup camera thing is for HW2.0 or older cars?

My upgrade to MCU2 was done at the same time as HW3 and I have the issue. So I think you are an exception as most people are noticing a drop in night time visibility on the back up camera after the upgrade, including those with HW3 upgrades.

My upgrade to MCU2 was done at the same time as HW3 and I have the issue. So I think you are an exception as most people are noticing a drop in night time visibility on the back up camera after the upgrade, including those with HW3 upgrades.

I was talking about original car with HW 2.0 cameras. I think if you upgrade from HW 2.5 camera/MCU 1 to MCU 2, the night back camera does not have any problem. I have posted this pic in the MCU upgrade thread. As you can see the back up camera after the update was still really bright, but that is probably because I had HW 2.5.

backup_cam.JPG

I was talking about original car with HW 2.0 cameras. I think if you upgrade from HW 2.5 camera/MCU 1 to MCU 2, the night back camera does not have any problem. I have posted this pic in the MCU upgrade thread. As you can see the back up camera after the update was still really bright, but that is probably because I had HW 2.5.

View attachment 608976

The issue persists on 2.5 cameras. i have it too.

View attachment 608976

I had the same set up (2017 HW2.5 MCU1 that I upgraded to HW3 MCU2 and have the issue....so you got lucky or have more light on your streets. When there is a decent amount of light, I dont have an issue. But if its dark you can't see anything (used to be great before the upgrade).

Attachments

• IMG_2734.jpg
    IMG_2734.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 113
I already got 2 updates since the MCU/HW upgrade. I am now on 2020.44.10. My backup cam is pretty bright after the upgrade. If you look at the tree on the right, it would be completely dark to the human eyes.

Interesting. Just took delivery of a 2020 new S. Camera is crap in the dark, but day time is crisper. I dont get how they didn't load the latest software for me. I am on 40.8. Was just at the service center for something else and was told there might be a TSB coming, whatever that's worth.

I had the MCU2/FSD upgrade done on my 2017 Model S with AP2.0, and the backup camera is exactly as unusable on low light conditions as my wife's 2020 Model X with factory installed MCU2 and AP3.0 (FSD).

I've had them both parked next to each other on a dark street at night, and they were both useless. :(

Although I did replace all the AP cameras on my Model S (except the backup cam) to AP2.5/3 hardware, in order to have a bit more color in my Sentry videos... now that my car is able to record to a USB drive :).

• Love
Reactions: KyleDay
I already got 2 updates since the MCU/HW upgrade. I am now on 2020.44.10. My backup cam is pretty bright after the upgrade. If you look at the tree on the right, it would be completely dark to the human eyes.

I got my MCU2 upgrade last week, and I'm on 2020.40.8 and it says there are no updates available.

So maybe the dark camera is fixed in 2020.44+ versions? Couldn't find anything related in the release notes, though.

I had the same set up (2017 HW2.5 MCU1 that I upgraded to HW3 MCU2 and have the issue....so you got lucky or have more light on your streets. When there is a decent amount of light, I dont have an issue. But if its dark you can't see anything (used to be great before the upgrade).

I can't find a place near me that does not have as many street lights as my street. I am going to drive up to the mountain in December. Maybe I will test it then.

Interesting. Just took delivery of a 2020 new S. Camera is crap in the dark, but day time is crisper. I dont get how they didn't load the latest software for me. I am on 40.8. Was just at the service center for something else and was told there might be a TSB coming, whatever that's worth.

Just realized that this is also a Model S thread. I have a Model X. I wonder if that makes a difference.. higher body? Brighter backup lights?